Something I was randomly thinking about and couldn't think of anywhere else to post it

Say you're a enthusiastic Christian who attends church every Sunday for two hours. Say you live to be 70 years old. There are roughly 52 Sundays in a year, multiply that by two because you attend it for 2 hours. So 104 multiplied by 70 is 7280. Roughly 7280 hours you've spent sitting in a pew listening to stories you've heard week after week. That's 303 days. Nearly a year of your life you could have spent doing something productive or just having fun. Also, say you pray at meals 3 times a day. For roughly 2 minutes each time. 6 minutes of prayer a day, multiplied by 365, the number of days in a year. 36.5 hours a year spent praying. Now multiplied by your lifespan of 70 years, 2555 hours you've spent praying. 106 more days wasted.
    Now figure out how much time you spend pooping.
    Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence.
    Quote from Yourself

I take long poops. XD In seriousness though, pooping is sort of required. There are other factors too. The time you spent driving to and from church, the money you spent on gas to get there. The time you wasted filling up your gas tank to get there. Etc, etc.
    Quote from Yourself

The difference here is that you can do productive things while pooping. :P
    Seriously though, going to church and praying don't have to be wasted time if you enjoy it or benefit from it somehow.
    Everything costs something, nothing is free. People do things because they feel they get out at least what they put in. People are easy to trick into doing things for "tradition", but I don't think that happens quite as often as you might think.
    Quote from J64

106 more days wasted.

Quote from J64

Nearly a year of your life you could have spent doing something productive or just having fun.

Yeah,but there is a problem.For an enthusiastic Christian,this amount of time spent is not wasted.There are monks who pray all day and all night and if you ask them,they'll say:I didn't waste my time at all.

I guess you're an atheist,since you made this calculus.
    "Do you gaze at your bald head......and wish you had hair...."
    Quote from J64
    Say you're a enthusiastic Christian who attends church every Sunday for two hours. Say you live to be 70 years old. There are roughly 52 Sundays in a year, multiply that by two because you attend it for 2 hours. So 104 multiplied by 70 is 7280. Roughly 7280 hours you've spent sitting in a pew listening to stories you've heard week after week. That's 303 days. Nearly a year of your life you could have spent doing something productive or just having fun. Also, say you pray at meals 3 times a day. For roughly 2 minutes each time. 6 minutes of prayer a day, multiplied by 365, the number of days in a year. 36.5 hours a year spent praying. Now multiplied by your lifespan of 70 years, 2555 hours you've spent praying. 106 more days wasted.
    I like how you impose and force your belief that it's a waste of time.
    Quote from Homem Pigman

I like how you impose and force your belief that it's a waste of time.

While I think his conclusion is stupid, I find this kind of response to be unhelpful.

Someone expressing an opinion on a public forum is not imposing or forcing anything. It doesn't matter how strongly someone thinks something, you're not a captive audience, you're not being coerced or otherwise forced into agreement so drop the persecution complex and get a real argument.
    Quote from Yourself
    Someone expressing an opinion on a public forum is not imposing or forcing anything. It doesn't matter how strongly someone thinks something, you're not a captive audience, you're not being coerced or otherwise forced into agreement so drop the persecution complex and get a real argument.
    Yes, but think of it like this. If it was turned around and he was "stating" something about atheists or muslins then people would flip their ­ and say he's "imposing". Sadly many people think that way. Which is why I'm generally against those kinds of statements ;)
    Quote from Homem Pigman

Yes, but think of it like this. If it was turned around and he was "stating" something about atheists or muslins then people would flip their ­ and say he's "imposing". Sadly many people think that way. Which is why I'm generally against those kinds of statements ;)

what about fabric textiles? =P

He has a point, one that I agree with. However, many Christians like going to church (don't ask me why, maybe brainwashing?) so for them it's a form of entertainment. Imagine how many hours you play video games, that's likely many years wasted by the time you die. It's just an outdated, antiquated, inferior method of entertainment I suppose. Let them have it if they want, even if we think it's a waste of time.
    Last edited by HempKnight: 11/19/2012 7:40:42 PM
    Quote from CreATiveHippo

I guess you're an atheist,since you made this calculus.

I resent this a little. I make such calculations on occasions, and I'd really rather not be put in with the atheists. I would sooner assume agnostic. Since atheists waste probably a similar amount of time ranting about the non-existence of god.

However, because no one seems to realize this... Church is a social interaction. They like church because it is a community of people with common values, what us 'atheists' might call friends. What do you do with friends? Religious communities just usually have more formalized ideas of what to do. They pray instead of saying 'I dunno, what do you want to do?' It serves the same sort of role.
    Last edited by Tybalt: 11/19/2012 7:48:51 PM
    Quote from Oddix »
    Tybalt, I want your writing on a T-shirt.
    Everything we do is a waste of time of some matter. How much time are you spending on the Internet instead of helping poor families in your country and others? Why do we go to the grocery store, when it is more productive and less time consuming then just to walk outside and pick something off of your home garden/farm. Why even work when you follow the last question? However, I do see your point, as an Atheist, I do see it as wasted potential following such a stupid, outdated, and both on the moral and scientifically level, has been proven wrong. But I do not force my opinion on others, that goes against my morals as a human being to respect others, as long as they respect me, I will only present answers to questions if they ask, nothing more. I feel like this topic is more oriented to discourage Christians from attending church and asking why they waste their lives, which is something that feels of a way to kind of force my opinions. Not quite, but is has that vibe you know?
    Last edited by danthonywalker: 11/19/2012 7:49:38 PM
    Quote from J64

the idea of 'moar productivitiez' is really, to be honest, quite futile.
    I mean, what is the use in being 'moar productive'?

You're going to die sooner or later.

If people want to do something that makes them happy, why not let them do it (as long as they aren't burning 'witches' at the stake)? Doesn't matter what a person does anyways.
    Quote from danthonywalker

Everything we do is a waste of time of some matter. How much time are you spending on the Internet instead of helping poor families in your country and others? Why do we go to the grocery store, when it is more productive and less time consuming then just to walk outside and pick something off of your home garden/farm. Why even work when you follow the last question? However, I do see your point, as an Atheist, I do see it as wasted potential following such a stupid, outdated, and both on the moral and scientifically level, has been proven wrong. But I do not force my opinion on others, that goes against my morals as a human being to respect others, as long as they respect me, I will only present answers to questions if they ask, nothing more. I feel like this topic is more oriented to discourage Christians from attending church and asking why they waste their lives, which is something that feels of a way to kind of force my opinions. Not quite, but is has that vibe you know?

/thread
    Check out my server if you like mystcraft, universal electricity, forestry, buildcraft, industrial craft and more.
    OK, so people go to church for a long time. Now, how much time do we spend watching murders on TV? Sex? Rapes? How much time do we spend eating junkfood, or swearing? Going to church isn't the worst thing you can do. Wasting time thinking about how much time you spend in church isn't the best way to spend your afternoons either.
    I'd rather watch sex on TV than murders and rapes...
    What are you some kind of heathen?
    Quote from Oddix »
    Tybalt, I want your writing on a T-shirt.
    Quote from kude42

OK, so people go to church for a long time. Now, how much time do we spend watching murders on TV? Sex? Rapes? How much time do we spend eating junkfood, or swearing? Going to church isn't the worst thing you can do. Wasting time thinking about how much time you spend in church isn't the best way to spend your afternoons either.

If you like what you do,there is no waste.
    "Do you gaze at your bald head......and wish you had hair...."
    Quote from CreATiveHippo

If you like what you do,there is no waste.

Well what defines waste? If you are doing that doesn't benefit others positively, or maximizing your human potential to help your mind/body or others then I classify that as some form of waste. Is it bad? Sometimes it can be, like practicing unethical religions I consider to be, but something like surfing the web, reading a book, playing with friends, isn't as bad as a waste.
    One can say, "Being involved with certain churches that do community events that aim to improve the community is more productive than ranting on forums for an hour everyday."

It doesn't really matter. People are allowed to spend their time how they please. :\
    Last edited by MCFUser603415: 11/20/2012 3:18:08 PM
    Nice math you did thar.

Also, it's not "wasted." If he wants to listen to the church, he can listen to the church. I don't care what he does.

Quote from Yourself

I do touch and go poops. Just long enough to drop it out and wipe my ass. I don't even sit down on the seat. Hovering allows me to get out faster.
    Last edited by TheEvanCat: 11/20/2012 3:54:54 PM
    Don't judge me because I'm fabulous.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes