Mechanical keyboard questions

How loud are MX Blues? I know that there are a ton of variables in this, and it's really hard to tell, but I have no idea how loud they really are, and it's so hard to tell by the youtube videos. I'd really like to have MX Blues, but not if they are going to wake up my parents in the next room. How much quieter do they get with O-rings? Will that help me, or does that mess with the feeling of them so much that I'd be better off getting browns anyway. Also, is the tactile point so soft on browns that it's going to make it hard to touch type?

Thanks for the help.
    No Overselling | Starting at $1.28/month | 100% customizable plans | Native IPv6 support
    Quality Over Quantity
    I'm a Doan VPS representative
    Chances are, most mechanical keyboards with blue switches will wake up your parents.
    If a Jewish man is free to grow his beard, a Muslim man should have that same right without being called a terrorist. If a Christian Nun is free to cover her head, a Muslim woman should have the same right without been called oppressed. No double standards!
    Quote from teckmaster

Chances are, most mechanical keyboards with blue switches will wake up your parents.

That sucks, that noise would drive them crazy. Will o rings improve it much?
    No Overselling | Starting at $1.28/month | 100% customizable plans | Native IPv6 support
    Quality Over Quantity
    They should reduce the noise but it probably won't be enough, you will probably have to go with brown switches. But seriously, just go into a random techie shop and try out some keyboards, best way to do it.
    If a Jewish man is free to grow his beard, a Muslim man should have that same right without being called a terrorist. If a Christian Nun is free to cover her head, a Muslim woman should have the same right without been called oppressed. No double standards!
    Quote from teckmaster

They should reduce the noise but it probably won't be enough, you will probably have to go with brown switches. But seriously, just go into a random techie shop and try out some keyboards, best way to do it.

No store near us has them, unfortunately. We have a Best Buy and quite a few funky old computer stores (and one that's not so old, but it's more of an electronics store that doubles as a computer store, and doesn't have keyboards). There's a Frys an hour away, and we're currently out of town, so maybe I can convince them to stop at a Frys on our way back into town.
    Quality Over Quantity
    Guess thats your only option then, without having to take a stab in the dark.
    Quote from teckmaster

meh I've used blues at work and my collegues didn't really seem to notice..

although that might be because they also use blues >,

O-rings are a fun mod to do, and easy too.
    Last edited by jacobdb: 11/25/2012 6:32:44 AM
    Quote from teckmaster

Use it alot and they will get used to it.
    PUT CRASH LOGS IN SPOILER. Nobody wants to scroll down for 30 seconds if they want to just browse the thread.
    Whupkong's shader installation guide. Read this before asking for installation help.
    Quote from jacobdb

meh I've used blues at work and my collegues didn't really seem to notice..

although that might be because they also use blues >,

O-rings are a fun mod to do, and easy too.

Do o-rings make it quiet enough?
    Quality Over Quantity
    Quote from danielhep

Do o-rings make it quiet enough?

thats a bit of a subjective question really.. rather hard to answer.

browns are more quiet then O-rings... but meh.. im a blue switch guy. Browns seem to just miss "it".
    What about blacks, they're supposed to be really quiet.
    Here's my build.
    I'm shootin' lasers. . Pew pew pew. . .
    Quote from SupremeHawk

What about blacks, they're supposed to be really quiet.
    No tactile point at all.
    Quality Over Quantity
    Quote from danielhep

No tactile point at all.

i'd go to that bestbuy and see if they have a blackwidow just to get a feel for the switches, about the only one your going to see at bestbuy with mechanical keys
    Quote from Wolley74

i'd go to that bestbuy and see if they have a blackwidow just to get a feel for the switches, about the only one your going to see at bestbuy with mechanical keys

Do they have blues? I do know that our bestbuy has a Blackwidow in a box with a window so you can try it, but does it have blues?
    Quality Over Quantity
    Quote from danielhep

Do they have blues? I do know that our bestbuy has a Blackwidow in a box with a window so you can try it, but does it have blues?

yeah, the only blackwidows that don't have blues are the Stealth editions, which you can only get from Razer's online store or amazon, they dont stock them in retail
    Oh, and it depends on how you type. I wake up everyone on the bloody street when I type on a membrane keyboard simply because I type at 120-130wpm and press the keys as far as they go. I am a heavy typer I guess.
    Quote from Wolley74

yeah, the only blackwidows that don't have blues are the Stealth editions, which you can only get from Razer's online store or amazon, they dont stock them in retail

Okay, I'll try to go to BestBuy soon and sit in the isle punching at the exposed keys through the window on the packaging lol. I wish they had some out of the package.
    Quality Over Quantity
    Quote from teckmaster

Oh, and it depends on how you type. I wake up everyone on the bloody street when I type on a membrane keyboard simply because I type at 120-130wpm and press the keys as far as they go. I am a heavy typer I guess.

I do that at school, their membrane keyboards squeak so badly...
    Quote from danielhep

Okay, I'll try to go to BestBuy soon and sit in the isle punching at the exposed keys through the window on the packaging lol. I wish they had some out of the package.

Some BestBuy's have one out of the package ontop of the shelves holding the product, dunno if your BestBuy does that...
    You know you want to use it: Faith In Humanity: -10 (As of June 14, 2013)
    R.I.P fm87
    I saw a Razer Black Widow at Walmart on Black Friday. It claimed to have blue switches and I didn't think it was that loud. It didn't feel solid at all though.
    My list of parts has gotten too long to post, so just go here if you want to see my computer.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/SteevyT/saved/21PI
    Quote from SteevyT

I saw a Razer Black Widow at Walmart on Black Friday. It claimed to have blue switches and I didn't think it was that loud. It didn't feel solid at all though.

not real blues though Razer messed with theirs also it may have been the brown version
    Quote from fm87

They are as much "hackers" as Obama is a giant reptilian space toaster.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes