Am I the only one here that has NEVER NEVER NEVER been happy with even ONE of your buildings? I have played since what.. indev and never been happy with my houses :sad.gif:
I create a world, gather some materials, maybe mine 20 diamonds, build a house and when I am done it always look the same, ugly.
I don't know how to spice up my buildings, like combinations/outside decorations etc. Please give me some tips!
Or at least link pics of some nice looking houses so I can get inspiration!
I always delete my world after like 3 days and make a new one :/
I usually just start off with a rectangular room. Then I build wings and extra floors, and landscaping is always the last thing I do. My tip would be to make it roomy (high ceilings) and remember- there's ALWAYS room for improvement. Don't be afraid to rip apart a wall and do rennovations once in a while.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
Rest in peace CapitolCraft. May 2012 - August 2012.
Another thing ive done is download other ppl's maps and play with them in MCedit or just mess around in game to get idea's TONS of pictures all over these forums. Use a variety of materials, frame windows with 1 block of wood or some other material thats different from your regular house. Build a roof.. A chimney. Sidewalks Tree's, Go to the nether and get glowstone or nether rock . set the nether rock on fire for a nice fireplace that stays lit forever.
I know how you feel. I get stuck in the same rut. Build monster traps or cactus farms or something. Get creative with TNT. dig a mineshaft straight down and nuke it. youll be amazed at what you find. :smile.gif:
- Use a decent texture pack. I suck at architecture myself, but I use Glimmar's Steampunk, (Google it) and that makes pretty much anything look good. The Painterly Pack can be really nice, as well. My brother also uses Mixcraft.
- Obsidian trim/bands/brackets. Make your walls 5 blocks high, and add obsidian bands as the second and fourth blocks.
- Make an uneven/peaked roof, and line the top with half blocks. In addition to looking good, this will keep mobs off.
- Use plants decoratively. In my main map, I use wheat out the front near water. It creates a very nice effect, and increases the amount of food I get. The Steampunk texture pack also has some beautiful ferns, to replace both flower colours. Use trees, as well. Search for "treefarm timelapse," on YouTube, and plant rows of trees on blocks in the manner shown by that video, for avenues.
- A big room nearly always looks better than a small one, I've found; even though they're harder to make. Have high ceilings, and add glass.
- Use Netherrack as a light source. If you build out of cobblestone or obsidian with it, your buildings will have a medieval type look. My main character in World of Warcraft was an Orc, and I like how lit Netherrack can add an Orcish type look to my buildings.
Have a theme for your house. No torches, only lava and lightstone? A lot of water features? Full of natural light? There are endless ideas. For futuristic houses, I suggest using a lot of smooth stone half-blocks, smooth stone, glass and iron blocks (if you can afford).
The basic idea is this:
Or if you want a nice cabin, you should use mostly wood, bookshelves and some cobblestone.
Another thing that can help you is to look furniture tv-shows or whatever they have if you have a tv. They can inspire a lot.
This is how I build my basic house.
1. Make a 10x10 square with logs.
2.Make the corners 4x high.
3. Repeat 2. And you will get a frame.
4. Fill in the frame with planks.
5. Get stone slabs and make a upside down V roof.
6. Punch out the planks and put in windows.
7. Replace the floor with planks.
8. Place doors.
Small fast and looks good. Also: Get a texture pack.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
Playing Minecraft since early Alpha, before sneaking was added.