The City Construction Challenge

This challenge is amazing. However, it is not the first of it's kind. I have seen many different ones including City Survival, etc. I still like and I am taking it on once again.
    Like my post? Give me a for reputation!
    I really want to to this in an SMP server, but I can't host one >.> Anyone else up for it?
    Quote from iKaleb »
    Quote from phoenix20 »
    Quote from asferot »
    Someone should make a particle accelerator ....

Oh ****... thats gonna be me isnt it?

Not if I beat you to it...

And...this is how the space race between Russia and the United States began.
    I would, but I can't do multiplayer since my account won't log in. >_
    Quote from Rawme

I really want to to this in an SMP server, but I can't host one >.> Anyone else up for it?

I have made a SMP server dedicated to this challenge :smile.gif: please look at the topic here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/694153-the-city-construction-challenge-smp-server/
    While digging around my desert biome collecting sand and sandstone i fell into a cave system that quickly opened into abandoned mineshafts. I came across this delightful picture with yet another spawner around the corner (total 3 in a very small space). Ashamed to say i died trying to get to this to destroy it, as it was a bit underground. It was frustrating as i fell and got caught in a few cobwebs. On the very painfully slow fall (of which you can't jump out of) into a nice pit (which i'm devastated i didn't take a screenshot of) of at LEAST 12 cave spiders. It is just not a fun sight knowing you're about to get demolished. I tried my best, gaining those nice criticals from falling but only managing to kill 2 or 3 out of the 12. A feat just too impossible for a solo man. Then as i gathered my stuff (luckily the spiders had despawned), i felt greedy and to get a few iron to replace the damaged armour. Looking down into a deep cave i accidently 'looked' at an endermen. While trying to jump my way out i get hit back down, a friendly cave spider decided to say Hello too...

2 deaths in the same 10minute period is quite unusual for me especially with access to iron armour and iron weapons. Tripling my graveyard in 1 go is a hard thing to cope with.
    Bow chika bow wow
    I have begun my challenge, and have decided to try to take a few pics along the way, hope you enjoy!

Day 1
    So first of all i search my surroundings. Find i'm in a swamp biome abundant with pigs! Brilliant start if i do say so myself. So obviously i get excited and start killing some pigs before i realise that killing pigs with my fist, though is like a boss, is not time efficient. So i start pounding some wood and next thing you know i have the normal setup with wooden items and 7 uncooked pork chops.

I reread the rules because i remember i cant use my normal trick of cooking wood for charcoal (for torches etc) and i think...well we cant use stone but doesn't mean we cant mine it out to find coal. Fortunately lady luck was on my side, for within the first spade's worth i struck coal! about 12 pieces land me enough for light and some spare which i save for who knows what. Finally i begin chopping more wood with my wooden axe (a feat i found very peculiar, chop wood, with wood).

I found a small pond surrounded by a few trees which i thought looked peaceful, so i decide to build my house there. With sparse time to build anything i just about make a standard wooden house, nothing fancy. I think there were a few spaces in the ceiling so i panicked to go get some more wood in the dark. Frantically chopping down this tree i hear the growling sound of a hungry beast and i decide to peg it out of there! Chased back into my house by 2 zombies i wait out part of the night in somewhat safety. A while after i gain the confidence to try venturing in the dark again (by gaining confidence i mean i got bored sitting around the house), but just as i'm about to leave something makes me change my mind...the sound of bones cluttering together and a cold grey face peering through my double doors dares me to try venturing out. For a moment i had that thought that everyone does when faced with impending doom, the thought i can take this guys on and be a hero in the midst of darkness, but then i see his bow and arrow and sense finally reaches me; needless to say i don't tempt him and he lives not the morning after.

So day 1 complete and i've just about started Stage 1, got a house with plenty of food, but i still need to make a bedroom and farm . The adventure continues...

Day 2
    So first item on the agenda is to make my farm. I don't expect anything extravagant, but obviously will steed a lot more wood than i have collected so far. Fortunately i decided to built my house near that pond, so i don't have to make the farm that far from the house. I extend the pond out a bit more so that its not right in front of the house and that there could be room to expand it. Pretty much the whole day is spent making fences and gates (which i'm a bit disappointed to find out cant be made into a double door gate). Though it's night time i daringly stay to finish the final touches, planting the crops and adding lighting to complete the first stage of my not so illustrious farm!

As its night i decide to spend the time building a bedroom. I don't really fancy my chances against the monsters outside, especially as i had a creeper scare earlier in the day; the last thing i need is a gaping hole in my house inviting all the unfriendly neighbours in. So i decide to built underground and make a small room with enough space for chests and a bed; speaking of which, i thought something was missing...Well i know what to look for tomorrow!

Day 3
    *sigh not such a good day. All i need to progress to stage 2 is wool for a bed and a door for my bedroom. I have the wood for a door, managed to find 0 sheep in the course of an entire day. On the bright side i found a lovely family of pumpkins, one of which i named Peter and now he guards my crops from zombies.

I also managed to find a whole load of pigs and cows, which makes me think perhaps sheep don't live in swamp biomes. I got a little carried away with the pigs and used up my swords durability, it is only wooden after all, so i went home to make another. By this point it was deep into the night and Peter seems to send all the scared zombies away from the farm and towards my house! I tried giving one a peace offering but he wouldn't have any of it...so i killed him.

I wither on back home and notice something i thought i would never see. I rub my eyes and check again and sure enough it was the real deal!!! My long wake was over and i could finally rest easy knowing that tomorrow brought a new day of challenges.

Day 4
    Finally begun Stage 2 and i'm feeling excited for the challenges to beat! I immediately notice this stage will take quite a bit longer than the first to complete, but i don't let that get me down, i just need to focus on the objectives and ill be pushing on in no time.

First port of call is to get an equipment upgrade, all these wooden items have clogged my inventory for too long. I also remember i can create a furnace and all that uncooked meat in my inventory can finally be cooked. Ever since the new updates i have not been too fond of the texture of cooked pork chops, but i think for the first time i saw those patty cakes with a drooling mouth and growling stomach.

With full health and new equipment i set out to test the power of my equipped fists. Forests clear in a heartbeat, sandy beaches removed and smelted into glass and a pickaxe to be reckoned with. Now is the time to begin constructing a mine with which to find new ores for the upcoming challenges. I always prefer the outdoor skylight mine, so i begin creating a hollow roof and smelting more glass. Not strictly an objective, but the mine will prove helpful in the coming stages.

Night quickly falls and i suddenly find an abundance of enemies with which to test my newly crafted sword. With my mighty sword in my hand i go head first into a fight i clearly was not that well equipped for. Within seconds i have already used up more pork chops than i have since i began, and instead of reducing the amount of monsters by killing them, i seem to be collecting more whilst running in all directions; it seems that i am quickly becoming outnumbered. I decide to use my head against my foe, and i begin to turn them against each other. Before i know it they are reduced to a mere few, which are taken care of by a combination of my trusty sword and the rising sun.

As i return home, glorious and triumphant, i am reminded as to how Minecraft can present dangers at any time and place, and how i am still a long way from being truly safe in this wilderness...

Day 5
    OK so today first on the agenda is to complete the outdoor mine. I've smelted enough glass for the roof and i pretty up the inside and prepare a nice area inside to begin digging down...Skylight Mine becomes complete.

I also start crafting the stone items for the town treasury, except for the torches for which i require more coal. I use the best way of getting coal i know, cooking wood to make charcoal, and thus creating more torches. As i'm chopping down the trees night falls and the creepers start making my job a little harder. Sure enough i collect enough wood and begin making charcoal for my stack of 64.

Tomorrow i hope to start digging down the mine as i will need a lot of stone for the town hall. Best get an early nights sleep in, the first in 5 days...
    Last edited by bloggerama: 10/8/2011 7:09:49 PM
    Insert life inspiring quote for signature here ;)
    Quote from JonathanTheBlack

I've finished my shelter, put up a fence, and cleared enough ground to start a small garden of whatever grains these seeds turn out to be. Some bread and flour would go nicely with the pork and ham I had set aside from my hunt earlier in the day. I continued to add on to the shelter, putting the bed in a separate room and built a few chairs to rest upon.

The next day, my fifth day on this accursed land, I ventured out to hunt some more of the wild boar, but ran afoul of a rotting corpse that didn't want to stay buried. It's dirty claws wounded me and left me reeling in pain. I fled, but ran right into one of the skeletal archers. It was hiding beneath an overhand out of the light of the sun and safe from the fiery vengeance that would be visited upon it. His arrows chased me down and I only just made it into the shelter.

I had picked up a hunk of flesh from the zombie... and after days of waiting for the monsters to retreat, it looked mighty tasty. I ate the meat, near to starving already, and the putrid flesh poisoned me. I don't imagine I'll last much

OOC: So much for my first attempt. Crashed and burned after running out of pork and driving myself to starvation by running hither and yon looking for cows or pigs. I couldn't wait for the wheat to grow and had yet to find a spider to make a fishing pole from it's silk threads. Five days and all my hard work is gone. HARDCORE mode is the only way to play the City Challenge.

A valiant attempt, will you have another go?

Quote from Epiclibrarian

Awesome!
    I got on this with a few friends of mine, and we just started the 3d age. We've been living underground only since the start of the 3d age and are also taking in cubeaism for an extra challenge (Worshipping Terrae underground is quite hard!) We're planning on making a huge cavern underground, and create a full scale town instead of living in caves :smile.gif:
    So far we're going great!

Awesome that your 1st post is here :tongue.gif: Good luck attempting both challenges simultaneously, they aren't completely compatible but you can work around it easily enough.

Quote from Porklecraft

It's been a while coming, but we finally finished stage three and are now onto four.

Update for Stage 3 Completion

Here is our leaf wall and a general map of the city as it stands now.

Our Well as an infinite water source.

Our tree farm which supplied our leaf wall.

The first community structure, a shrine to our god tree.

Our second community structure, a nether portal temple. The portal was made by pouring lava and water into a dirt mold.

We actually added a challenge to the stage where we have to each build our own home.

Here are the results:

Shock's Home

Rii's Home

Po's Home

Our Mine shaft.

The Treasure chest in the Treasury for stage 3.

That leaf wall is genius, never would have thought of that. Good job on reaching stage 3 :wink.gif:

Quote from Towelsauce

While digging around my desert biome collecting sand and sandstone i fell into a cave system that quickly opened into abandoned mineshafts. I came across this delightful picture with yet another spawner around the corner (total 3 in a very small space). Ashamed to say i died trying to get to this to destroy it, as it was a bit underground. It was frustrating as i fell and got caught in a few cobwebs. On the very painfully slow fall (of which you can't jump out of) into a nice pit (which i'm devastated i didn't take a screenshot of) of at LEAST 12 cave spiders. It is just not a fun sight knowing you're about to get demolished. I tried my best, gaining those nice criticals from falling but only managing to kill 2 or 3 out of the 12. A feat just too impossible for a solo man. Then as i gathered my stuff (luckily the spiders had despawned), i felt greedy and to get a few iron to replace the damaged armour. Looking down into a deep cave i accidently 'looked' at an endermen. While trying to jump my way out i get hit back down, a friendly cave spider decided to say Hello too...

2 deaths in the same 10minute period is quite unusual for me especially with access to iron armour and iron weapons. Tripling my graveyard in 1 go is a hard thing to cope with.

Sounds like luck wasn't on your side, but your death tally is nowhere near as high as mine (i lost count) so you're still doing pretty well by my standards.

Quote from bloggerama

I have begun my challenge, and have decided to try to take a few pics along the way, hope you enjoy!

Day 1
    So first of all i search my surroundings. Find i'm in a swamp biome abundant with pigs! Brilliant start if i do say so myself. So obviously i get excited and start killing some pigs before i realise that killing pigs with my fist, though is like a boss, is not time efficient. So i start pounding some wood and next thing you know i have the normal setup with wooden items and 7 uncooked pork chops.

I reread the rules because i remember i cant use my normal trick of cooking wood for charcoal (for torches etc) and i think...well we cant use stone but doesn't mean we cant mine it out to find coal. Fortunately lady luck was on my side, for within the first spade's worth i struck coal! about 12 pieces land me enough for light and some spare which i save for who knows what. Finally i begin chopping more wood with my wooden axe (a feat i found very peculiar, chop wood, with wood).

I found a small pond surrounded by a few trees which i thought looked peaceful, so i decide to build my house there. With sparse time to build anything i just about make a standard wooden house, nothing fancy. I think there were a few spaces in the ceiling so i panicked to go get some more wood in the dark. Frantically chopping down this tree i hear the growling sound of a hungry beast and i decide to peg it out of there! Chased back into my house by 2 zombies i wait out part of the night in somewhat safety. A while after i gain the confidence to try venturing in the dark again (by gaining confidence i mean i got bored sitting around the house), but just as i'm about to leave something makes me change my mind...the sound of bones cluttering together and a cold grey face peering through my double doors dares me to try venturing out. For a moment i had that thought that everyone does when faced with impending doom, the thought i can take this guys on and be a hero in the midst of darkness, but then i see his bow and arrow and sense finally reaches me; needless to say i don't tempt him and he lives not the morning after.

So day 1 complete and i've just about started Stage 1, got a house with plenty of food, but i still need to make a bedroom and farm . The adventure continues...

Day 2
    So first item on the agenda is to make my farm. I don't expect anything extravagant, but obviously will steed a lot more wood than i have collected so far. Fortunately i decided to built my house near that pond, so i don't have to make the farm that far from the house. I extend the pond out a bit more so that its not right in front of the house and that there could be room to expand it. Pretty much the whole day is spent making fences and gates (which i'm a bit disappointed to find out cant be made into a double door gate). Though it's night time i daringly stay to finish the final touches, planting the crops and adding lighting to complete the first stage of my not so illustrious farm!

As its night i decide to spend the time building a bedroom. I don't really fancy my chances against the monsters outside, especially as i had a creeper scare earlier in the day; the last thing i need is a gaping hole in my house inviting all the unfriendly neighbours in. So i decide to built underground and make a small room with enough space for chests and a bed; speaking of which, i thought something was missing...Well i know what to look for tomorrow!

Welcome to the challenge if i haven't said that already (i lose track).
    The first night is always the hardest and even as you say your house is "nothing fancy", you can always improve the appearance of your house later :wink.gif:
    I wish I had the time to mod the recipes for all the items. I want to create a more logical progression from stone/wood to iron to steel etc. Wood swords and axes just don't make sense. And yeah, I plan to do the city challenge again. I like Hardcore mode though. It makes it much more interesting, though I don't get to make my own graves lol.
    Last edited by JonathanTheBlack: 10/8/2011 6:46:55 AM
    Banners added as suggested, they're nothing special but they do their job.
    Quote from Iamchris27

Banners added as suggested, they're nothing special but they do their job.

I really do love this challenge and i'd love for more people to see it and participate. It's great to see the different play styles through it and the variable levels of success. I'll do my part and don the banner :wink.gif:

While i'm here i might add a few pictures of progressive builds.

City Hall is under construction and the first floor is mostly complete, office 1 side of the stairs, a makeshift bedroom the other and a large treasury room behind.

You may notice some glowstone in the roof, that is because i got sick of waiting for the Diamond Age (Stage 5) and decided to make a portal by creating the obsidian in a gravel mould (as many people have stated). Rather frustratingly as my surface supply of lava is a long walk to where i wanted the portal, but it finally came together :smile.gif:
    The 'temple' type building where the portal is, is just a placeholder, i'm still determining what design i want for it. So just ignore the ugly cobble :wink.gif:
    Last edited by Towelsauce: 10/8/2011 9:22:21 AM
    Bow chika bow wow
    I woke to find myself twixt forest and desert in this strange land. I couldn't remember who I was or who I am. I still don't, but I do know that my stomach growled when I saw a chicken bounce past, bawking loudly when I gave chase and pummeled it with my bare hands. It wasn't all that tasty, raw as it was, but I couldn't start a fire without any coal... and I didn't see any nearby. I took some old wood and fashioned a pick, an axe, and a sword. It was a start... and then I wondered how I knew how to make these things.

Was I a carpenter before? Who knows... shelter was paramount as night fell. I heard growls and groans in the woods and I wondered what fell beasts lay in wait, biding their time in the shadows until the sun went down and their true forms revealed by the light of the evil moon. I finished my simple shack none too soon. Dried out husks of once living creatures shambled out of the desert and the trees. They pawed at the door, but I was able to drive them off with a torch and my wooden sword. Though I think the torch worried them more.

It's a few weeks later. I've made a respectable shelter for myself. I started a wheat farm with some wild seeds I found while clearing the ground to expand my domicile. I believe I have discovered where the walking dead came from. I discovered an abandoned village southwest from where I have staked my claim. I wonder what black arts killed them off. Perhaps it is the same that has laid waste to the rolling hills and turned the forest into a desert. Maybe those glass towers to the north have something to do with it. I shall have to go explore.

I have come across some survivors from the village and we have banded together and started building a town hall. They elected me mayor after I threatened to kill them with my new stone sword when they wanted to elect the fat man with all the food. I shall have my own food supply soon. I chanced across a pumpkin and took much of the wheat from the abandoned village before it was overtaken by weeds.

The town hall is finally complete and our wheat garden grows well next to the pond.
    Last edited by JonathanTheBlack: 10/8/2011 10:38:13 AM
    Update 2:
    We got to stage 3, with 5 people joining. Me and another guy decided to worship the god terrae, all underground. I'm now building an underground nature paradise, and my treehouse (self built hollow tree ofcourse)
    Pictures will follow soon!

We do have some room for aditional players, if you're looking to join the challenge please contact me!
    Quote from Towelsauce

I really do love this challenge and i'd love for more people to see it and participate. It's great to see the different play styles through it and the variable levels of success. I'll do my part and don the banner :wink.gif:

While i'm here i might add a few pictures of progressive builds.

City Hall is under construction and the first floor is mostly complete, office 1 side of the stairs, a makeshift bedroom the other and a large treasury room behind.

You may notice some glowstone in the roof, that is because i got sick of waiting for the Diamond Age (Stage 5) and decided to make a portal by creating the obsidian in a gravel mould (as many people have stated). Rather frustratingly as my surface supply of lava is a long walk to where i wanted the portal, but it finally came together :smile.gif:
    The 'temple' type building where the portal is, is just a placeholder, i'm still determining what design i want for it. So just ignore the ugly cobble :wink.gif:

Thanks, the support is appreciated.

Quote from Epiclibrarian

Update 2:
    We got to stage 3, with 5 people joining. Me and another guy decided to worship the god terrae, all underground. I'm now building an underground nature paradise, and my treehouse (self built hollow tree ofcourse)
    Pictures will follow soon!

We do have some room for aditional players, if you're looking to join the challenge please contact me!

If you give me the necessary details, I can add your server to the OP if you want.
    I am doing a Marathon of this starting soon! check it out at http://www.justin.tv/zmsm9
    Just want to make sure, but are texture packs that say just 1.9 good to use for the pre releases? If not the 3rd release then for 2nd?

OT: Still working on the wall, keep running out of cobble, this is harder then I thought. Reason why I'm making it 3 blocks wide: One is for "Attacks" from other towns, but the main reason is because I'm filling the inner wall with water, so if an enderman takes a block from my wall it will get killed by the water >:3
    Fantasy City Build Team Co-leader - Want to apply?
    PM Amazingsniper8 or I for more information.
    Updated the OP a little bit.

Also, be sure to check out the live stream that is on right now - 3 hours in so far and on stage 2.
    Golden Age of Thriving Stage Fourness here I come. :biggrin.gif:

So I've finished the Library. I liked the Stronghold libraries so much I used them as inspiration.

Built it above the tree farm to solve two problems, too many epic trees were growing, and I didn't want to expand across the river just yet because I'd need more Stone.

I am so very mad right now >.> I was working on building my wall more, when minecraft crashes... I try to go back to the world and it wasn't there... I'm just gonna restart tomorrow...
    Never mind, just finished the first stage again, pictures below.

View of the place I'm starting at, cleared most of the trees, and yes another swamp.
    Some cave next to my house. Plan on exploring soon.

My house living area and what-not

The Bedroom

And lastly the farm, holds 9 wheat right now.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot a pic with the wood and food, but it's in there...
    )': right when i started i gathered 2 stacks of wood and turned around to be staring at a village... :sleep.gif: guess its time to start a new world...

seed:
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes