How to: Troll a survival server

Quote from Demopan

I think that anyone who deliberately tries to mess with other people without their consent or approval (i.e. ­ing up other people's ­) is an ­ griefer, no matter what level you do it on.

Trolling is in no way related to griefing. Griefing requires breaking down homes or stealing. Trolling is when you do something that maximizes the confusion level.
    Last edited by sunperp: 7/30/2013 1:01:52 PM
    Quote from Pokemon418copy3

Trolling is in no way related to griefing. Griefing requires breaking down homes or stealing. Trolling is when you do something that maximizes the confusion level.

Don't forget making them angry. "Thanks for the stuff, bro!"
    ಠ_ಠ
    I disapprove.
    Griefing: goal is to destroy and bring about anger and sadness

Trolling: Goal is to confuse, disorient, and anger. Not necessarily through destruction.
    Thread will be locked and deleted in:
    Quote from A Blind Moron

Griefing: goal is to destroy and bring about anger and sadness

Trolling: Goal is to confuse, disorient, and anger. Not necessarily through destruction.

Trolling is another way that makes people angry, as you said. And trolling is in no way better than griefing. Trolls are assholes.
    Try making a bunch of food then being extra generous with it. People will be confused.
    Quote from K_Kinnison »
    If i were a mod, i would be destroying threads like a creeper at a hug-a-thon
    Quote from Meddyan »
    That's right, this elevator is powered by MURDER and ANIMAL CRUELTY.
    Quote from Denn »
    Manly blood is both highly acidic AND highly basic, but I'm glad to see you're paying attention.

Pretty much any suggestion that includes hostile mobs spawning in places they shouldn't, is technically griefing. Which is unfortunate, because otherwise mobs are funny.

--Replace all the floor blocks in someone's house with furnaces. All of them.

--Harvest all of a person's pumpkin farm and reassemble the harvested pumpkins into a giant 1:1 jack-o-lantern on their front lawn. Attach a sign, "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!"

--Find a branch mine that's still in use. Figure out where the next likely mining activity will be. Plant a single tile of wheat in the middle of the tunnel. Similar ideas: random isolated pressure plate, random isolated pig spawner, etc. Optional: a sign that says "Herobrine was here"

--Admins: Find a dungeon near a player you want to troll. Teleport in while godmode is on. Replace all the mossy cobble with regular cobble. Replace the spawner cube with a spawner cube of another, hilarious type e.g. sheep, squid, slime, blaze. Put something funny or embarrassing in the chests. I think you can spell "LOL" in a chest with blocks, placing them in the spaces to form letters. Plant some vegetables or flowers. Plant a tree. Place a bed. There's nothing quite so relaxing as taking a nap next to an active monster spawner.

--Admins: Find a stronghold. Teleport in using godmode. Select the entire cuboid containing the stronghold and convert all the types of stone brick blocks to their silverfish-containing lookalikes. ALL of them. Run away. Never load those chunks again.

--Replace random blocks in the walls of rail tunnels, mob grinder walls, etc. with gold or diamond ore blocks. Make sure these are in protected regions, so when noobs try to pick at them, they get a message "Access denied".

--Entirely cover the interior walls of someone's house in paintings. Every square inch must be behind a painting.

--Build a nether portal athwart a mineshaft or frequently used walkway.

--Make some cakes. Take them to the nether. Leave them on the ground, or build special pillars for them, and strew them about where visitors will see them.

--Place a few pig spawners exactly 1 block underground on someone's lawn. They will wonder wtf is up with all the pigs.

--Use WorldEdit's block blending capacity to replace random sections of unmined areas in a shaft mine, with your hilarious choice of blocks. I personally recommend 25%melon,75%stone. Go back in and replace all the visible melons with stone. As they proceed, they will hit the hidden melon vein.
    IMO the difference is that griefing is done with malicious intent whereas trolling is lighthearted and something that most people would/should laugh about once they realize what happened.

Like, best case scenario for a griefer is that he causes a little kid to cry. Best case scenario for a troller is that the troll-ee goes "ahhhh, you got me" and acknowledges the cleverness of the troller.
    Last edited by pelirrojo173: 11/21/2011 7:39:13 PM
    There's trolling to make people angry or mad simply for your entertainment and there's trolling as in joking around, causing confusion(without much panic), and providing good laughs later on.

This actually made me smile, going to try this out tomorrow.
    This might just be the best thread ever. Great ideas.

Here's a few:
    Encase their house in colorful wool that looks like a giant present.

Replace all their wooden doors with iron doors that are lever activated.

Change the text of all their signs to be misleading. For example if their rooms or chest are labeled, change the storage room sign to read "kitchen" and change the stone chest sign to read "gold" etc.
    Praise the Sun!
    Quote from Vilborg

Try making a bunch of food then being extra generous with it. People will be confused.

No hidden agenda. Maybe only offer them rotten flesh.
    Put wooden pressure plates EVERYWHERE. I do this on the survival maps I make. People get really scared.
    Check out my Youtube channel: http://youtube.com/user/ColMuffin
    wrap there house up with colored wool so it looks like a present XD
    Use saplings and bonemeal to turn the area around their house into a forest.
    Cover their house in a box of festive wool and make is into a present. Put up a sign saying "Merry Christmas."
    Fill their house with iron doors
    Fill their house with water
    Fill their house with sand
    Destroy their house, then rebuild it exactly the same, but upside down.
    Quote from DaBomb

Cover their house in a box of festive wool and make is into a present. Put up a sign saying "Merry Christmas."

oh how original.
    I think I'm going to edit the OP and quote the ideas I think are funny.

EDIT: Just finished.
    Last edited by A_Blind_Moron: 11/21/2011 9:34:21 PM
    The one where you pretend to steal the stuff is hilarious XD

Click Here to play Connors Zombies!
    Find someone's house, and replace all grass blocks with snow, and try to make it look as wintery as possible. Build a giant glass dome and fill the whole thing with water.

Warning, this may be considered borderline griefing, but still funny

Back in the early days of multiplayer without mobs, my friend went to a ton of dungeons and got TONS of gunpowder. He then proceeded to dig up a newb's house and rigged the whole floor with tons of TNT. He then wired it up to the outside, placed a lever with a message that read "Curiosity killed the cat".

The next day, the newb logged on, and in complete oblivious nature, he pulled the lever. Nothing remained.

The guy who rigged the house ended up banned and the blocks of the newb's house were reset, so nobody was harmed. Before you do this, make sure to clear it with an admin and make sure they have backups of the world. The few seconds of panic the newb goes through are priceless, but could have a cost if your server admin doesn't allow it.
    Quote from Jungletoe

Warning, this may be considered borderline griefing, but still funny

Back in the early days of multiplayer without mobs, my friend went to a ton of dungeons and got TONS of gunpowder. He then proceeded to dig up a newb's house and rigged the whole floor with tons of TNT. He then wired it up to the outside, placed a lever with a message that read "Curiosity killed the cat".

The next day, the newb logged on, and in complete oblivious nature, he pulled the lever. Nothing remained.

The guy who rigged the house ended up banned and the blocks of the newb's house were reset, so nobody was harmed. Before you do this, make sure to clear it with an admin and make sure they have backups of the world. The few seconds of panic the newb goes through are priceless, but could have a cost if your server admin doesn't allow it.

Definitely griefing. Funny, but griefing.

There's not much of a difference between blowing up someone's house and tricking them into blowing up their own house. Same end result.
    Now that we are in 1.0.0, fill their house with snow golems.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes