This is a thread about ore picking. Ok, let's say you are in a cave. You see tons of ores and there are iron, gold, coal and redstone (I am not mentioning diamond in this scenario as everyone wants that!... I hope.) So, there are more cave channels leading out. Do you go for the iron and gold but leave the coal and redstone? Grab everything? In what order? What are your favorite ores to go for. List the most valuable ones to you and why. Here's mine.
1. Diamond (Obvious reasons)
2. Iron (For armor when I'm not warring. Also tools)
3. Gold (For wealth and leveling the Repair skill on my server [mcMMO])
4. Coal (I would also like this along with Gold. I cannot smelt my ores without this ore and I hear many people ignore it)
5. Redstone (I am not a redstone genius and the only reason I would want it is to give it to the faction engineer or sell it at the admin-shop of my server)
Post, share, love to hear what you guys think about this subject!
6. Lapis (It needs a use)
For the world I'm working on right now?
4. Redstone (I know a thing or two)
5. Gold (Not a minecart person)
6. Lapis (You only need 2 and it's blue wool for days)
7. Emerald when it comes out (Easier obtained through wheat farms)
I have my reasons for coal being first. It involves a giant 200*200 smooth stone castle, but my lips are sealed.
Iron, for its versatility
Redstone, since I usually have a few schemes for automatic farms that need a ton of this
Gold, depends on how developed my minecart system is
Lapis, since I love the look of the solid block
Coal is an odd one. If I need a ton for projects, I'll mine all I see, but in my current world, I treat coal just like stone. Just don't need it.
Coal, if your in a cave for a couple of days and have a furnace and some wood with you then you can make all sorts of tools since most likely if you are mining all the time that lot of pickaxes you have has to break sometime. Plus I have a natural disliking to charcoal, I have no idea why xD.
Redstone, I love making complex mob traps and note block songs with them.
Lapis, I love the shade of blue you get when you dye wool with it, I use it as the flooring for most of my houses and labs.
I put coal last because I have a double chest full and I am using Blaze rods for fuel. Gold and Lapis are high on there because they are rarer and I need alot for a potential project. Iron, I have about a double chest full of that as well. Unfortunately I only have 49 diamonds, mostly because I use so many on enchantments.
1.Lapis (I love it more than diamonds, and for some reason I see diamonds more often than lapis when mining)
2.Gold (What can I say? Gold Rush?)
3. Diamonds (My priorities are screwed up)
4.Iron (I like to have good weapons)
I grab everything I can but I guess my priorities are shown when I have to empty my inventory for stuff then
I mean if I have a full inventory but I find diamond I will chuck an entire stack of cobble for 1 diamond.
Diamond > coal, I usually leave mostly everything else behind. I need lots of coal for smoothstone/stone bricks, and have enough diamonds that I don't have to use iron tools ever - unless I'm somewhere dangerous and decided i don't want to lose my diamonds.
If I carry to much, the first thing to go is redstone, then lapis. I go up and unload before I must choose to let iron or coal go. I always need more gold for extensive railways, and diamond is the base for most of my tools
In the order of the ores I can name off the top of my head
1. Iron, Because its ton more common then Diamond yet still does near/equal damage (Based off my personal experiences)
2. Coal, You could always use a few torches and something to heat that furnace!
3. Diamond, Just because its fancy-schmancy
4. Gold, I see no use in it besides looking wealth or a compass.
5. Redstone, I see no use for it in survival mode.
Well, since I have the technic pack on, these are my ore priorities
1. Redstone (I run out of it alot because they are very useful for machines and such.)
2. Iron (Always need refined iron.)
3. Diamond (Meh, I can always transmute more.)
4. Coal (Need it for my generators and steam engines.)
5. Gold (need for my rail project and machines)
6. Lapis (Need that for lapatron crystals.)
7. Uranium (never know when I decide to set up a nuclear reactor.)
8. Silver (Glass fibre cables. Gotta love them.)
9. Tin (Already have lots, but its great to have more.)
10. Copper (Have TONS of it and I almost never use copper wiring.)
11. Apatite (too much. Just way too much.)