Gameplay Items

Adding the missing potions. 1000 supporters and counting!

Poll: Do you want the rest of the potions added to the game?

Potions

Do you want the rest of the potions added to the game? - Single Choice

• No 4.3%
  • Yes 95.7%
    I love it, tweet it to Jeb!
    Quote from WizardBuddy2

Yes, I agree, sort of how spider eyes had more than one use when they were introduced to the game. I'm not completely sure you should be able to craft bottles o' enchanting with rubies, but they should be craftable. But yes, this would be a good use for rubies as well.
    I'm sure the items would get other uses, but I can't put down too much with out going of the basic idea of adding the rest of the potions. I was pushing it when I was suggesting corn.

^Not many of these potions can actually be made in vanilla Minecraft! Support the missing potions today! ^
    Quote from GerbilCrab475

I'm sure the items would get other uses, but I can't put down too much with out going of the basic idea of adding the rest of the potions. I was pushing it when I was suggesting corn.

Nah. Everyone wants corn. We get potatoes and carrots, but not the second most grown crop in the entire world? Corn is just something everyone has to love.
    It's hard criticizing ideas when one is tired, so you'd better appreciate it when I criticize yours.
    Quote from Jake Von

Nah. Everyone wants corn. We get potatoes and carrots, but not the second most grown crop in the entire world? Corn is just something everyone has to love.
    For once, I entirely agree with you.

Enderpearls need more uses! Go to http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1584591-ender-dust/ to fix that!
    wheres my download????? :(
    What bout.....

Growth potions, can be by a sapling surrounded by gold bars/nuggets. put into the stand will make a growth potion that add a slight effect of every positive potion thingie for like 10 seconds, if the fermented eye is added it will make a stunt potion wich will do all the bad nasty shiz for 10 seconds.

Mayby a little op but if its only for 10 seconds its probbaly ok in MC and PvP
    Who here likes potatoes?
    Nice idea, but I don't like the whole "bejeweled corn" thing.
    Quote from Brinjal66

Nice idea, but I don't like the whole "bejeweled corn" thing.
    If you have a better name for it, then please tell me what you have in mind. Cause that's the best I could do.
    Quote from AcroLaser

What bout.....

Growth potions...
    Those don't exist. These potions are in the code, they just don't have any ingredients or potion IDs.

^Not many of these potions can actually be made in vanilla Minecraft! Support the missing potions today! ^
    wheres my download?????? :steve_tearful:
    Quote from Jake Von

As far as I am able to tell, brewing has never been like that, even old brewing. All potions have always been just one type.

No, they could have up to four effects or so in ye olde days. I have pictures, if you want 'em.
    Did something happen to you in your childhood to give you this unreasonable fear of rutabaga?
    Quote from GerbilCrab475

If you have a better name for it, then please tell me what you have in mind. Cause that's the best I could do.
    It's not the name I'm against. It's adding a new crop AND a new ore purely for the sake of one potion that I don't like. I mean, seriously?
    I think Haste and Resistance need another ingredient. A whole new ore and a crop just for a potion? Maybe it could use an existing crop(don't know which one, but not melons or carrots as they already have golden carrot and glistering melon) with an Emerald? Maybe with Cocoa Beans to make ''Bejeweled Beans''? I also think potion of haste should be brewable with Golden Apples.
    Quote from Artifact123

I think Haste and Resistance need another ingredient. A whole new ore and a crop just for a potion? Maybe it could use an existing crop(don't know which one, but not melons or carrots as they already have golden carrot and glistering melon) with an Emerald? Maybe with Cocoa Beans to make ''Bejeweled Beans''? I also think potion of haste should be brewable with Golden Apples.
    Corn has other uses, it would be used for breeding cows (instead of wheat) and be edible. Rubies could gain other uses, as well. And golden apples for haste makes no sense, considering how they give you regeneration already.

Quote from GerbilCrab475

As we all know there are a few potions in the game that are missing and are not in the vanilla game. However, there is a problem, how to implement the potions while adding good content to obtain the ingredients. Well I have a few ideas that I tried my best to improve the overall experience of the game, including farming, mining, exploring, and even fighting. Lets start with the Potion of Water Breathing

Potion of Water Breathing
    To find the ingredient for water breathing potions, you will need to go find an ocean. That's right, a reason to go to the ocean. At the ocean, there will sometimes be large clumps of sponge. A great way to find and obtain sponge is by using a respiration helmet and night vision potions.

Sponges drop 2-4 sponge bits. Four sponge bits can be made into a sponge block, which can be placed or can be crafted back into four sponge bits.

Sponge bits can be used to make water breathing potions.

Potion of Resistance
    This potion is very powerful and isn't easy to get. The biggest reason is the fact that you must mine for a very rare material. This new material is what we know as rubies. Ruby ore in in every biome and it generates in a way similarly to emerald. However, it is spread out even more but comes in larger veins than emeralds do.

It is one of the things you will need for resistance potions. But you will also need another thing, which is a new (hopefully the last) crop. This crop will be corn. Corn grows in a way similar to how sugar cane does. Except it must be planted on tilled soil in order to grow. To obtain corn, you must search for wild corn in in the plains biome, and it's not too common.

Please try to ignore the gamemode changed message. After breaking the corn, you can take the corn cobs and place them in tilled soil to start growing more corn. Corn can be eaten, but it only fills you as much as a cookie. Corn will also now be used to feed cows instead of wheat. Corn also grows much slower than sugar, so you must be patient when growing it.

Once you have steady supply of corn and some rubies, you can combine them to make bejeweled corn, which can be used to brew the powerful resistance potions.

Potion of Leaping
    This is a much easier potion to get. But you will need to be swift and persistent to obtain its ingredient. There will be a new mob in the game, this new mob is passive as it is a rabbit. Here is a picture of the mo' creatures rabbit, just in case you don't know what a rabbit is. This is not my image, I just borrowed it.

Rabbits only appear in forest biomes, and the will sprint away from the player if the player gets too close. They move just barely slower than the player's sprinting speed. They will slow down after 10-20 seconds of intense chasing. But you can speed up the killing process with speed potions. Once killed, the rabbit will drop a rabbit foot, which can be used for making jump boost potions.

Potion of Nausea
    This one is simple, you can now use poisonous potatoes to brew nausea potions. Oh, and fixed the glitch when the nether portal effect occurs after the nausea is cured. Unless that is a feature. Nausea potions will now make any mob swerve as they move. Sometimes walking away from you.

Potion of Haste
    This one you will have to fight to get this one. And it comes from a new monster of the Nether. This new monster will be some kind a worm thing. I'll just borrow this image from the better Nether topic for a concept image. This is not my image, I just borrowed it.

Now, the problem with a worm in minecraft is, how will the segments move. Well I was thinking it could move in a way similarly to how the eggs in Yoshi's island follow you, by mimicking every move the head makes. The head and segments will change orientation by facing the direction they are moving. They are fast and can "swim" through soft blocks such as gravel and soulsand. They aren't to common but spawn everywhere in the Nether. They have 20 health like most mobs and drop worm teeth. Which are used for the haste potions.

Haste will also now ignore the block breaking delay and shorten the amount of time it takes to drawback your bow. Allowing you to shoot faster. Zombies would break down doors faster with haste and skeletons, blazes, witches and even the Wither will have increased fire rates.
    Potion of Dullness
    Simple, just add a fermented spider eye to a haste potion. Mining fatigue will now slow the zombie's ability to break doors, and slow down the fire rate of skeletons, witches, blazes, and even the Wither. Mining fatigue will also slow down the player's ability to fire a bow as well.

Potion of Hunger
    This one takes existing items and gives them more uses. In this case, bowls, rotten flesh, and red mushrooms. Using this gives you slop/ nasty stuff/ toxic soup.

This gross stuff is used to make hunger potions.

Toxic soup can also be put into caldrons. One bowl fills it by a third.
    Potion of Blindness
    I don't know, something involving inc sacs but I got nothing so far...
    Potion of Decay
    No, the wither effect is for the wither and wither skeletons. Such a powerful effect should not belong to players. But this is ultimately up to the developers I guess.

Many of the sprites I used are either old vanilla textures, unused textures, modified textures, and textures from the painterly pack. The mob concept images are slightly modified pictures from other sources around the forums. I gained no money from this. Derp.

Edit: Also suggesting how blindness, nausea, haste, and dullness should affect mobs. As those potion effects currently do nothing to mobs. Haste and mining fatigue would also affect the player's ability to use a bow.
    download now!!!!!!
    Quote from StijnCrafter324

download now!!!!!!
    Why are people screaming, "where is the download," at me? This isn't a mod I made, all I do is manipulate textures, use NBT edit, and paint.net.

Are you trolls? Are you serious? Either way, you are pretty dumb.
    Last edited by GerbilCrab475: 12/1/2012 8:25:06 PM

I still think you should suggest Potion of Decay. You must admit, it is a good idea, so long as a single potion cannot kill a healthy person. It would be more of a Harming that is delayed than a Poison that can kill you.
    It's hard criticizing ideas when one is tired, so you'd better appreciate it when I criticize yours.
    Quote from Jake Von

I still think you should suggest Potion of Decay. You must admit, it is a good idea, so long as a single potion cannot kill a healthy person. It would be more of a Harming that is delayed than a Poison that can kill you.

Seems to be both to me, but I'm thinking it's more of an "it's an effect exclusive to wither and wither-ish things" than "it's OP so the player can't get it".

Maybe for Creative, though, but I wouldn't want to see Potions of Decay in vanilla.
    Did something happen to you in your childhood to give you this unreasonable fear of rutabaga?
    Quote from Kholdstare

I'm thinking it's more of an "it's an effect exclusive to wither and wither-ish things"

Actually, Notch was planning a Potion of Decay before Jeb was planning The Wither.
    I know this to be true, because Jeb originally said he was going to improve the Ender Dragon before adding new bosses. Apparently, he changed his mind, and I don't think he would plan a new boss before he decided to implement a new boss.
    Quote from Jake Von

Actually, Notch was planning a Potion of Decay before Jeb was planning The Wither.
    I know this to be true, because Jeb originally said he was going to improve the Ender Dragon before adding new bosses. Apparently, he changed his mind, and I don't think he would plan a new boss before he decided to implement a new boss.

A) That appears to say nothing about the Potion of Decay, just that Jeb felt that he would rather add a sucky boss rather than improve a sucky boss.
    B) You kind of have to plan a new boss to implement a new boss... it's only logical.
    C) Where is Notch in all of this? I only see you claiming that Notch planned the potion, then going off about how Jeb was going to improve the Enderdragon somehow yet instead decided to make the Wither.
    Quote from Kholdstare

A) That appears to say nothing about the Potion of Decay, just that Jeb felt that he would rather add a sucky boss rather than improve a sucky boss.
    The potion was planned before the Wither. I already said that.

B) You kind of have to plan a new boss to implement a new boss... it's only logical.
    I said decided to implement, not implement.

C) Where is Notch in all of this? I only see you claiming that Notch planned the potion, then going off about how Jeb was going to improve the Enderdragon somehow yet instead decided to make the Wither.
    For chronology. Notch planned the potion before Jeb became lead dev, and Jeb planned the Wither after he became lead dev. Simple, really.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes