Biome-Specific Ores

Okay, let's say we have a few areas that might not have NEW ores, but do spawn certain ones more frequently. That being in addition to a few other areas which DO have specific ores.

The jungle biome, for example, could make gold and iron swap rarities.
    Desert biomes could be full of marble (which might have specific crafting purposes)
    Swamps would be absolutely jam-packed with coal, and perhaps redstone.
    Mountains would bump the iron rate up, as well as make diamond more common.
    The taiga might have some peculiar gemstones hidden deep underground, particularly Lapis Lazulli.
    Plains might not harbor any extraordinarily rare ores, but could skyrocket the amount of clay you could find.

So on and so fourth. Instead of making each biome extremely unique from one another, you could induce a sense of purpose for travelling to them. If you need coal for some kind of mass refinery project, you might have to set up a base in the swamp. If You feel like you're getting too confined, take a trip to the mountains and dig for more iron so that you can quicktravel by minecart to the more exotic and out of reach places efficiently. Feel like blinging your house out? Go to the jungle in search of gold, or to the Taiga in search for Lazuli.
    We don't need an ore set every biome. However, it would be cool if ores existence and rarity was based on the biomes.

+0.5 support!
    Great Idea. It's always bothered me that there is such diversity above ground in the plant life and scenery, but when you go just a few blocks underground, its all the same. Maybe add a few new ores (1-3), but mostly just change the ore spawn rates based on biome.
    MCMap Live - An easy to use mapper for Mac
    +1 Supporter :smile.gif:

Quote from wouldestous »
    everybody go to your window. right now. open it up, put your head out and yell 'im as mad as hell and im not gonna take it anymore!
    Reminds me of Monster Hunter, where you could only get certain materials from certain biomes. Like Ice Crystals. And you then had to deal with whatever monsters lived there... ****ing Khezu.
    You gained a supporter
    :iapprove:
    Quote from Owl Exterminator »
    Okay, let's say we have a few areas that might not have NEW ores, but do spawn certain ones more frequently. That being in addition to a few other areas which DO have specific ores.

I think this would need to be linked to much, much larger biomes. How many times have you seen a 'desert' that's what? 50 blocks wide? If I can walk for less than a day, and visit tundra, desert, swamp and rainforest, then what's the point of different ores in different biomes- one cave system could meander under all of them!

This could even encourage commerce and trade. The player who traveled to a winter biome can come back to 'town' (the initial spawn point) to trade snow, while the player who set their house far off in a desert could bring cactus and sand. If Notch could make certain trees and plants and animals only grow in certain biomes, then players in temperate biomes could bring wheat and sugar cane for trade, while players in cold climates could bring pine wood (currently doesn't exist, but you get my point). Pigs would only grow in certain biomes, and chickens in others.

Oh, sure, have an 'easy' mode where biomes are close by each other, but MC should also have a 'realistic' mode where you need to travel at least a few MC weeks to get to snowy, desert, or rainforest biomes. And not just mobs and plants could vary by biome- cold biomes would have a certain percentage less underground lava (and a lot less surface lava pools). Etc.
    Quote from fredklein »
    Quote from Owl Exterminator »

I think this would need to be linked to much, much larger biomes. How many times have you seen a 'desert' that's what? 50 blocks wide? If I can walk for less than a day, and visit tundra, desert, swamp and rainforest, then what's the point of different ores in different biomes- one cave system could meander under all of them!

This could even encourage commerce and trade. The player who traveled to a winter biome can come back to 'town' (the initial spawn point) to trade snow, while the player who set their house far off in a desert could bring cactus and sand. If Notch could make certain trees and plants and animals only grow in certain biomes, then players in temperate biomes could bring wheat and sugar cane for trade, while players in cold climates could bring pine wood (currently doesn't exist, but you get my point). Pigs would only grow in certain biomes, and chickens in others.

Oh, sure, have an 'easy' mode where biomes are close by each other, but MC should also have a 'realistic' mode where you need to travel at least a few MC weeks to get to snowy, desert, or rainforest biomes. And not just mobs and plants could vary by biome- cold biomes would have a certain percentage less underground lava (and a lot less surface lava pools). Etc.

God yes, that all sounds amazing. Adding to thread.

"The oceans of minecraft are vast and nearly endless... and we just have a floating little box to traverse across them..." - doctorseaweed2
    Let's start with the desert, let's say the realism slider Notch will add will make the heat and long walking make you need water and such, it will take a while to get there, and to find a good spot for a sandstone fort.

What kind of ore/material should be here?

I think some kind of crystal, maybe to be used as a tool?

Or perhaps marble? White marble for WHITE PICKS!

"The oceans of minecraft are vast and nearly endless... and we just have a floating little box to traverse across them..." - doctorseaweed2
    Quote from Locklear308 »
    Let's start with the desert, let's say the realism slider Notch will add will make the heat and long walking make you need water and such, it will take a while to get there, and to find a good spot for a sandstone fort.

What kind of ore/material should be here?

I think some kind of crystal, maybe to be used as a tool?

Or perhaps marble? White marble for WHITE PICKS!

marble sounds good and crystals too,
    i would say crystals who can set out and use redstone to it and it would make a red beam who make power to redstone up to 50 blocks away
    Absolutely a yes for me, but I don't want biomes that it takes weeks to travel (although slightly bigger might be nice).

Some little ideas:
    Topsoil should be rare in deserts. Really often I dig down under sand and, right there, dirt. I believe topsoil does not work that way.
    Oil in deserts? There's a topic about how oil would work, but it'd be cool if it were limited by biome like this.
    Rubies in rainforest? IRL rubies are very hard but not quite as hard as diamond (harder than iron, though), and are often found in rainforest-like places. (EDIT: on a related note, rubies might be good for the nether as well, being the sort of "blood diamond" type thing some people are looking for)
    Humus or manure in forests? Could be used to grow trees and crops slightly faster, and some people might get a kick out of shoveling poop (although notch might not, in which case humus works just as well).

Or are you not looking for anything new, just different distributations?
    I like this idea :biggrin.gif:, though I'm not sure what new ores could be limited to what biomes.
    [url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/713414-181-more-ores-v07-new-thread-with-update/][img]Fross wrote:
    It's like Lego, but occasionally a terrorist sneaks in through your window and blows all of your shit to hell.
    Quote from Hedgehogs4Me »
    Absolutely a yes for me, but I don't want biomes that it takes weeks to travel (although slightly bigger might be nice).

A slider to adjust biome size (or a way to enter a size number) would be good. It could adjust from 'small' (about where it is now) all the way to 'Real Life' (where it can take weeks to get to a new biome). A 'whole world' setting would be interesting, as well.

Some little ideas:
    Topsoil should be rare in deserts. Really often I dig down under sand and, right there, dirt. I believe topsoil does not work that way.

Yes, I think deserts should be deep sand on top of rock. But, I think they should also (rarely) have oasises [Oasii?] An oasis would be a handful (4-6) dirt blocks, a single water source block, and a tree, preferably a new "palm" type tree. They would be rare (if you pillared up to the top of the world to see as far as possible on 'far' setting, you would most likely only see one oasis at a time). Occasionally (maybe 5% of the time) it would be a bigger oasis, with 20-30 dirt, several trees and an 'infinite water' (ie: either 3 sources in a row, or 4 in a square).
    deserts low in dirt and water,but 2x all minerals :biggrin.gif:

Epic support over 9000

a hundred or more diamonds for u

:Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond:
    nice to see the thread earned some new aspects!

Thumbs up to Owl Exterminator and fredklein! :*
    :Pig: Porklet approved. But then he nailed your mom... :SSSS:
    About the only biome specific resource I can think of would be oil in the desert (not because oil isn't found in other places but because its easy to get at in the desert).

Only problem with that is that oil doesn't currently have any uses (lamps maybe).

Also you don't necessarily have to stop at ores, the different biomes would of course feature different plants and animals which may be capable of yielding unique and useful items.

Anyway, this seems like a good idea.
    +1.
    Not just ores, also trees and plants with different uses (some better for burning, some for food, etc), different stones and dirt (like sandstone in 1.3) which may not have unique purposes, but simply look good as building materials, and maybe some different mobs (snakes in the desert, turtles near the sea, goats in the mountains, bears in forests). This would provide players with a better reason to branch out and explore, build distant outposts, and to travel, as well as open up more unique architectural opportunities.
    Swamps Nice,
    Help Support The Aether!

In Minecraft,Creepers Want Hugs,Not Zombies.
    [Diamond] [Diamond] Diamond Pl0x?Plus Cake.
    And Support [Diamond] [Diamond]
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes