Minecraft Snapshot 13w02a

Quote from LAZTHERIPPER

I made this signal strength to binary decoder and hooked it up to a light sensor. Looks awesome.
    <snip>
    So, yeah. it works and it's compact. any ideas to improve?

You didn't have to decode the signal strength just to encode to binary. Signal strength can be directly converted into binary.
    I made a substantially more compact one, but Entity will probably make it even more compact :|

details: http://imgur.com/a/JdR06
    Last edited by Conundrumer: 1/11/2013 12:26:40 AM
    My Youtube channel.
    Contains Pachebel's Canon made with noteblocks, a working Rubik's cube made with pistons, and the ultimate TNT cannon.
    Quote from Conundrumer

You didn't have to decode the signal strength just to encode to binary. Signal strength can be directly converted into binary.
    I made a substantially more compact one, but Entity will probably make it even more compact :|

Heh, I'll try ;) Sexy design you have there though, it's smaller than my prototype :P
    Dinnerbone has tweeted a youtube video what shows an "Nuclear Bomb" bug made with the new minecarts with TNT:
    Thats the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGD1FXVl8YQ#t=5m03s

The bomb explodes at minute 5 of the video :)
    Sorting system:

Killed me trying to figure this one out :Sheep:

When the top Sorting Hopper is low on items, it turns Off the hopper below itself. Because the Sorting Hopper is pointed at nothing it can still receive items but not send them anywhere.

Can be expanded as much as you desire and reasonably compact. The hopper serving as a reference level is just set to half a stack for simplicity. Could use something besides a hopper too, just need to make sure the power level is low enough.
    Last edited by Endy123: 1/11/2013 8:02:59 AM
    The main problem with single mInecart sorting is that a filter hopper will not take items out of the minecarts if the items are not "the first". It is hard to explain.

Imagine you have a cart with dirt in the third slot, cobble in the fourth, grass in the fifth and another 5 cobble in the last slot. The cart drives over (or stops on) your first hopper, which can only take cobble, but the hopper won't take anything, because there is dirt in the way. It then drives over a hopper that can take dirt and grass, but that one will only take the dirt, because the cobble is in the way for the grass. It then drives over you first hopper again, which happily takes out the cobble in slot nr. 4, but won't do anything with the 5 cobble in the last slot. Etc.

Long story cut short: Sorting with a single minecart is extremely slow if you do not sort the items before you put them into the minecart too.
    Last edited by haschischtasche: 1/11/2013 9:13:19 AM

Well, Conundrummer, you called it! :)

Signal strength to Binary encoder - 5x11x3 Pistonless

- Torches on top of the blue blocks are inverted outputs. You can also get regular output under the blue blocks.
    - The pink blocks have redstone dust under them
    filling chest detector

Quote from zanozus

filling chest detector

You're inverting the output twice going around the bend, that's redundant. you can make it a bit smaller like this:

No, no, no, you lose one level strength in redstone and it works incorrect. My circuit detects filling, not only uploading first item.
    Try my circuit and your with furnace:
    Last edited by zanozus: 1/11/2013 12:10:15 PM
    Quote from haschischtasche

The main problem with single mInecart sorting is that a filter hopper will not take items out of the minecarts if the items are not "the first". It is hard to explain.

Imagine you have a cart with dirt in the third slot, cobble in the fourth, grass in the fifth and another 5 cobble in the last slot. The cart drives over (or stops on) your first hopper, which can only take cobble, but the hopper won't take anything, because there is dirt in the way. It then drives over a hopper that can take dirt and grass, but that one will only take the dirt, because the cobble is in the way for the grass. It then drives over you first hopper again, which happily takes out the cobble in slot nr. 4, but won't do anything with the 5 cobble in the last slot. Etc.

Long story cut short: Sorting with a single minecart is extremely slow if you do not sort the items before you put them into the minecart too.

Yeah, that was just for a demo.

Real world you would want multiple carts circling, hopper loops in the works for increasing the flow rates and clog sensors which can activate overflow and/or disposal units.

In theory you could split the stream with just hopper loops, most basic being two hoppers pointed at each other. The flow of items through them can be a bit strange though.
    Quote from zanozus

No, no, no, you lose one level strength in redstone and it works incorrect. My circuit detects filling, not only uploading first item.
    Try my circuit and your with furnace:

I tested mine before I posted and it pulsed every time the power level went up *shrug*
    Last edited by Entity: 1/11/2013 1:47:39 PM
    Quote from Entity

I tested mine before I posted and it pulsed every time the power level went up *shrug*

In regards to your very very awesome hexadecimal adder, how would subtraction be possible? I'm thinking you'd need to get the complement of each number in the B input (eg. F to 0), then invert the carry and most significant bit. To get the complement, would using a comparator on subtract mode with the side input on 15 before putting it into the adder, work?
    Quote from alex_error404

In regards to your very very awesome hexadecimal adder, how would subtraction be possible? I'm thinking you'd need to get the complement of each number in the B input (eg. F to 0), then invert the carry and most significant bit. To get the complement, would using a comparator on subtract mode with the side input on 15 before putting it into the adder, work?

! means invert.
    A+ !A = n*1 (n = number of bits)

So A + !A + 1 =0 (system overflows)

-A = !A + 1

C = A - B
    - C = B - A
    !C + 1 = B + !A + 1 Cancel the 1's
    !C = B + !A
    C = !(B+ !A)

So basically you invert one of the numbers and then invert the output again for substraction. Easy.
    “Attempting to debate with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead.”
    - Thomas Paine.
    Quote from Endy123

Yeah, that was just for a demo.

Real world you would want multiple carts circling, hopper loops in the works for increasing the flow rates and clog sensors which can activate overflow and/or disposal units.

In theory you could split the stream with just hopper loops, most basic being two hoppers pointed at each other. The flow of items through them can be a bit strange though.
    I have a system that just uses one cart, makes it stop on each hopper and just sorts the items before they go into the cart.

Pros:
    - only 1 cart
    - cart moves only as much as it needs to
    - minimal lag, only 1 entity when sorting

Cons:
    - bigger than other systems.

However, I also happen to have the to my knowledge smallest possible 1-wide tileable sorter with a waterstream.
    Last edited by haschischtasche: 1/11/2013 4:38:16 PM

Quote from alex_error404

I think you need the two's complement, which in this case means 16-B, not 15-B. I can't think of a clever way to convert X to (16-X) though. It also means a 0 becomes a 0 + a carry you need to do something with. I have not really thought of an efficient way to use this adder to subtract :P
    Quote from Entity

I think you need the two's complement, which in this case means 16-B, not 15-B. I can't think of a clever way to convert X to (16-X) though. It also means a 0 becomes a 0 + a carry you need to do something with. I have not really thought of an efficient way to use this adder to subtract :P

Really? Because I would have thought it would be 15-x (f-x), as in binary, the complement is 1-x, which is the largest number you can fit into one single bit, seems the easiest way would be to add a comparator before the input, have the subtractor's input be the numbers that are to be subtracted and the side of the subtractor have a constant signal strength of 15.

EDIT: It's the Back minus the Side, so the input would be the side and the constant 15 signal would be at the back.

EDIT 2: Confirmed it does work.
    Last edited by alex_error404: 1/11/2013 3:28:37 PM
    Inverting it from a 15 charge should work just fine. Wire has 16 different states, 15 power levels and off.

15-15=0. 15-0=15 So you retain all 16 possible values by inversion with a power level of 15.
    “Attempting to debate with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead.”
    - Thomas Paine.
    Quote from Ralath0n

Inverting it from a 15 charge should work just fine. Wire has 16 different states, 15 power levels and off.

15-15=0. 15-0=15 So you retain all 16 possible values by inversion with a power level of 15.

Of course. I'm not talking about the comparator. I'm talking about the signal adder not working right when you just invert the B's and the output.

Edit: or maybe I'm smoking stuff (or had an issue in my switched signal inverter) and it actually works.

I probably have to flip the final carry out when subtracting though.

Here's 0x62 - 0x3f = 0x23 (note the carry out is set)

Last edited by Entity: 1/11/2013 5:08:11 PM
    I recorded a video of a 1 wide, 6 high, 6 long infinitely tileable item sorter today which is now semi-broken due to that change to how redstone interacts with hoppers. -.-
    Last edited by haschischtasche: 1/11/2013 6:21:50 PM

Quote from Entity

Here's my 2 tick one:

is cool. but I tried that and the pistons flicker rapidly when the time changes. it's a bit unstable. you need to invert the input to the pistons and use the on state instead of the off state for the output. you'll end up with a design just like mine.
    and the wiring you made is good but 1 wider than necessary.
    Quote from Entity

Well, Conundrummer, you called it! :)

Signal strength to Binary encoder - 5x11x3 Pistonless

- Torches on top of the blue blocks are inverted outputs. You can also get regular output under the blue blocks.
    - The pink blocks have redstone dust under them

I thought about making it this way afterwards. I'm impressed by the compactness though. good work.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes