1.5 update

Quote from cadika_orade

They wouldn't do that. I like biome-specific ores, but it wouldn't make sense to put all of them in one biome. If I added rubies I'd add them to desert biomes (because of the cultural associations of rubies with the "Middle East"). I'd also make diamonds less common in all biomes, except for jungle biomes where they would be more common (think African diamonds).

Gif support would be a nightmare and annoying to make. The animated texture format used by Optifine and the patcher would suffice.

I agree. I've been modding Skylands on to my server since they were in Vanilla. After they got replaced by the Ender I started using a mod to recreate them. I have to agree, though, that it shouldn't be added. Not yet. Not until after the API and other fixes are done, and the Nether and Ender are made more... interesting.

No, because they are not minerals. Think of it like quartz crystals and silica (sand). Silica (silicon dioxide) is used for making semiconductors while Quartz (crystallized silica) crystals are used in other circuit components.

In Minecraft, redstone dust is used to make what seems to be semiconductors. It makes sense to me that the crystallized form of redstone (which we've been calling "ruby" but "redstone gem" may fit better) would be used to make other circuit components.

Geology, chemistry, analogy, semiconductor design. SCIENCE!!!

Better put that meme in a spoiler, or else you will get an infraction.
    Pessism can be fun in a forum full of optimists and kids.
    lol
    I'm hoping we'll actually be able to do stuff with emeralds in 1.4. They're pretty useless atm.
    Quote from ScatmanWeegee

I'm hoping we'll actually be able to do stuff with emeralds in 1.4. They're pretty useless atm.

If by useless you mean they can be use to get almost any useful tool or resource then yeah, they are.
    Don't play vanilla? You don't know **** about minecraft.
    Quote from murphmaster01

If by useless you mean they can be use to get almost any useful tool or resource then yeah, they are.

I suppose, but you need to get lucky.
    Quote from Debugman18

You're super funny bro. They'll put unicorns, and pineapples, and dwarves, and pirates. Not.

And ponies, dont forget ponies.
    Quote from KacperNFS

And ponies, dont forget ponies.

*Brohoof*
    Quote from cadika_orade

No, because they are not minerals. Think of it like quartz crystals and silica (sand). Silica (silicon dioxide) is used for making semiconductors while Quartz (crystallized silica) crystals are used in other circuit components.

In Minecraft, redstone dust is used to make what seems to be semiconductors. It makes sense to me that the crystallized form of redstone (which we've been calling "ruby" but "redstone gem" may fit better) would be used to make other circuit components.

Geology, chemistry, analogy, semiconductor design. SCIENCE!!!

Ah I see now, makes more sense. But I don't think it should be really implented as an new ore. For most of the players redstone contraptions are pretty useless in survival. You build a few piston doors, an automated farm and some fancy lights, that's it. I never found the need to build something like an tetris game in survival... Although some may build alot of redstone circuits in survival, for most people it will probably stay in an dusty(get it?) chest for the rest of the game. An new ore would be considred another junk item by most players(unless you can make something really cool and not to expensive with it, examples please if you have them).
    I think it would be better if you could craft them(or perhaps smelt or something) to get them. This way peoples chests won't be cluttering with yet another almost useless item(not that redstone is useless, but it is mainly used in creative though).
    Oh and btw, I might be wrong though but these crystals seem a bit too advanced for the medieval setting of minecraft.
    Last edited by XylethTheAlmighty: 10/22/2012 3:27:48 PM
    But that's just my opinion.....
    I love how the Pre-release was very recently announced, and already someone's posting about the next update. It will be at least 3 months, as is usual lately.
    If this post helped you, please press the green arrow :3

Quote from cadika_orade

Gif support would be a nightmare and annoying to make. The animated texture format used by Optifine and the patcher would suffice.
    What is and how do you use Optifine and the patcher? I must have it!

Ah I see now, makes more sense. But I don't think it should be really implented as an new ore. For most of the players redstone contraptions are pretty useless in survival. You build a few piston doors, an automated farm and some fancy lights, that's it. I never found the need to build something like an tetris game in survival... Although some may build alot of redstone circuits in survival, for most people it will probably stay in an dusty(get it?) chest for the rest of the game. An new ore would be considred another junk item by most players(unless you can make something really cool and not to expensive with it, examples please if you have them).
    A rare ruby ore that gives you a ruby when mined. When rubies are dropped into a nether wart solution they dissolve into it after 20 seconds. When you drink the new solution (resistance potion), your skin some how stays flexible but is now impenetrable for a few minutes.
    Last edited by GerbilCrab475: 10/22/2012 3:31:31 PM

^Not many of these potions can actually be made in vanilla Minecraft! Support the missing potions today! ^
    Quote from GerbilCrab475

A rare ruby ore that gives you a ruby when mined. When rubies are dropped into a nether wart solution they dissolve into it after 20 seconds. When you drink the new solution (resistance potion), your skin some how stays flexible but is now impenetrable for a few minutes.

shouldn't be so rare because otherwise it would be left unused. I really do think something else should be used because this seems like you took 2 random and often suggested ideas and mixed them together for no apart reason(then again, minecraft rarely has any logic in it).

I think it would be better if you could craft them(or perhaps smelt or something) to get them. This way peoples chests won't be cluttering with yet another almost useless item(not that redstone is useless, but it is mainly used in creative though).
    Oh and btw, I might be wrong though but these crystals seem a bit too advanced for the medieval setting of minecraft.

1. I'm pretty sure semiconductors are a bit more advanced than crystals. ;)

2. Well, I would think of using it to craft a redstone clock. That'd be useful. It would toggle on and off every X seconds, depending on the setting you give it. (a la repeaters) A day/night sensor could also be crafted with it. Both of these blocks would open up huge utility for even Survival players.

Also, I (if I worked at Mojang) would give the redstone crystal a non-redstone application, possibly with a potion. Alternatively, perhaps they could be enchantable, giving them random effect when used ranging from Fire Aspect or Bane of Arthopods etc. to a random potion effect directed at either the user or the mob/player being pointed at (a la regular vs. splash potions). These gems would have durability and could be repaired by re-enchanting, but enchanting or re-enchanting would have to be 30 levels in order to work. These gems would make for awesome dungeon loot. Trading them from villager priests would also be brilliant.

Presto. A new ore (that fits alongside existing ores) that has great uses for serious redstoners, Survival redstoners, and non-redstoners alike.
    Quote from cadika_orade

A new record!

Still two weeks before 1.4 comes out, and already people are talking about 1.5.

*facepalm*

Um i dont think you remember 1.9, People where playing 1.0 before 1.9 was even released XD
    Quote from SethBlue
    No. No. Look, heres a line: |
    CROSSED THE LINE

shouldn't be so rare because otherwise it would be left unused. I really do think something else should be used because this seems like you took 2 random and often suggested ideas and mixed them together for no apart reason(then again, minecraft rarely has any logic in it).
    I was thinking about making it as rare as emerald, except everywhere.

^Not many of these potions can actually be made in vanilla Minecraft! Support the missing potions today! ^
    Quote from cadika_orade

1. I'm pretty sure semiconductors are a bit more advanced than crystals. ;)

2. Well, I would think of using it to craft a redstone clock. That'd be useful. It would toggle on and off every X seconds, depending on the setting you give it. (a la repeaters) A day/night sensor could also be crafted with it. Both of these blocks would open up huge utility for even Survival players.

Also, I (if I worked at Mojang) would give the redstone crystal a non-redstone application, possibly with a potion. Alternatively, perhaps they could be enchantable, giving them random effect when used ranging from Fire Aspect or Bane of Arthopods etc. to a random potion effect directed at either the user or the mob/player being pointed at (a la regular vs. splash potions). These gems would have durability and could be repaired by re-enchanting, but enchanting or re-enchanting would have to be 30 levels in order to work. These gems would make for awesome dungeon loot. Trading them from villager priests would also be brilliant.

Presto. A new ore (that fits alongside existing ores) that has great uses for serious redstoners, Survival redstoners, and non-redstoners alike.

1. Minecraft shouldn't have very advanced technology. It's set in medievel like times after all. Redstone isn't electric, it's magical. And you called them crystals yourself -_-
    2. I don't see why we need an new ore for this though. Mix and match some redstone and gold(probably an clock too) and we have an Redstone clock. An day/night sensor could probably be made with glowstone dust, redstone, and some other stuff. I really don't see why we would need an new ore for this.
    3. Sounds like an random splash potion of something that I'll probably never use(like poison and harming, I've found these almost completely useless in battle) only this time it's so expensive that I probably need to make an exp grinder in order to use it decently. But I can't really make an good judgement by just your text. I'll need to use it in combat in order to find out how usefull it really is. Could still be kinda neat for custom maps though, I imagine vechz would make good use of it :P

All in all, it doesn't seem like we really need it. The redstone part can easily be replaced by an combination of items we already have. The enchanting/splash potion thing seems too expensive and will probably be fairly useless when in normal combat. Still good for adventure maps though.
    Quote from GerbilCrab475

I was thinking about making it as rare as emerald, except everywhere.

You know thats still more rare than diamonds? Maybe make it as rare as gold but the veins are only 1 block. Still think it shouldn't be rubies though....
    Quote from GerbilCrab475

How about add all of that unused stuff?
    • Purple skeleton arrows
    • "Where are We Now" Disc
    • Wither Painting
    • Wolf howl
    • The second side of the foliage color
    • Water color
    • Sponge in survival
    • The rest of the potions
    • The thing that was going to be a ruby (redstone gem perhaps)

Don't forget about the Lectern and the spike block. Heck, even the chair would be cool, IMO. The only planned features I wouldn't want to see implemented are those that would now be redundant (Crying Obsidian, Gear), and the Lantern (unless they can come up with a use that doesn't also make the game ten times as hard).
    Last edited by Zarkanofthecyclones: 10/22/2012 5:31:40 PM

Don't forget about the Lectern and the spike block. Heck, even the chair would be cool, IMO. The only planned features I wouldn't want to see implemented are those that would now be redundant (Crying Obsidian, Gear), and the Lantern (unless they can come up with a use that doesn't also make the game ten times as hard).
    Spike block was merely an idea, besides, we have lava, fire, dispensers, pistons and now even anvils. Crying Obsidian looks amazing, if only Jeb could come up with a good use for it.

Block to Block interaction.
    One type of block that has influence on another block.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes