Carrots and potatoes!

Genious Update! Carots are awesome! we wust need bunnies to tame ^ w ^
    And some people says carrots are good for eyes ! But Golden carrot is sily! apples to carrots?
    Posion Patato? ridiculous...

When the 1.4 out, we think the old version of the game and we say; "oh! did we eat only apples? stupidly!"

And Last Word is :
    BUNNEYZZZZZ R NEAR To UPDATE
    Can someone clear this up for me as I'm still confused about the two new types of foods. Can potato and carrot seeds ONLY be dropped by zombies at this point? There's no other way to grow them? The wiki said Zombies would physically drop potatoes and carrots, so where do the seeds come from?
    Jarrrp = Minecraft Boss! :D
    Quote from Locklear308

Night Vision? I like it, but it would be better if the "Bright" option was removed. :/

It already is surprisingly effective. You wont notice any difference between night and day with the potions.
    Last edited by Sutinen: 8/24/2012 2:07:41 PM
    Quote from Jarrrp

Can someone clear this up for me as I'm still confused about the two new types of foods. Can potato and carrot seeds ONLY be dropped by zombies at this point? There's no other way to grow them? The wiki said Zombies would physically drop potatoes and carrots, so where do the seeds come from?

At the moment, the seeds are the potatoes and carrots themselves. When you harvest them as they become ripe, you get more than one out of the ground and then you can put in more.

I don't think allowing them to "go to seed" (how you normally get carrot seeds "in real life") is really appropriate for a game. Most commercial potato farmers just chop up potatoes into pieces (the "eye" of potatoes can grow a new potato plant), but that can be abstracted as well.

I really like the current system, other than how they are obtained. If anything, I'd rather see something like using a hoe on grass and a random chance of being able to get a potato or carrot. This is how grass seed was done originally, and doesn't require some silly mob grinder just to do some farming.

Version 2.1 now updated for MC 1.6.2
    Quote from King Korihor

At the moment, the seeds are the potatoes and carrots themselves. When you harvest them as they become ripe, you get more than one out of the ground and then you can put in more.

I don't think allowing them to "go to seed" (how you normally get carrot seeds "in real life") is really appropriate for a game. Most commercial potato farmers just chop up potatoes into pieces (the "eye" of potatoes can grow a new potato plant), but that can be abstracted as well.

I really like the current system, other than how they are obtained. If anything, I'd rather see something like using a hoe on grass and a random chance of being able to get a potato or carrot. This is how grass seed was done originally, and doesn't require some silly mob grinder just to do some farming.

Thanks for the reply, but the Minecraft Wiki suggest we'll get potato seeds as seen HERE. Is this picture just displayed unripe potatoes planted? In that case, will Zombies drop unripe potatoes?
    Jarrrp = Minecraft Boss! :D
    Quote from Azukki

To harvest them, you have to break the farmland block they're made on. I like that, it adds a nice variety to farming methods.
    But, if you break the plant, and then break the farmland immediately afterwards, you get nothing, which I don't like, it's counter intuitive.

If the farmland itself were switched to a "potato-bearing farmland" which would switch to regular farmland after a minute or so of having no plant above it, I think that would be much more suitable. (and it'd switch to farmland if another plant were put on it, and switch to dirt if trampled, etc)

Never mind, I was playing creative. It would be neat if the potatoes and carrots were actually in the farmland block, though.

That's what I thought at first too. I think it would be a more creative way to do it. I like a lot of the things Dinnerbone does, because it feels like he's actually played the game and encountered the same frustrating issues as I have. But he's not as intelligent in his solutions as Notch was. Notch would never have created ten different plants that all farm exactly the same way. He would have been more creative and smart about it. Mind you, Notch would have taken his sweet time about it, soo... inconclusive.

This next thought's a bit off topic, so I apologize, but with all this expansion of food and farming, isn't it about time we got manure?
    Last edited by Spaceboot1: 8/24/2012 9:48:20 PM
    I think you are going to love my Survival Let's Play series on YouTube! It's called Spaceboot1's Garden. I make pretty things.

Want to play Minecraft SSP like Spaceboot1? Try my modpack, all mods made by me, Spaceboot1!
    Quote from Spaceboot1

This next thought's a bit off topic, so I apologize, but with all this expansion of food and farming, isn't it about time we got manure?

Manure would be a really nice addition to the game but the question is... Where would we aquire this gross item?

Quote from Sutinen

It already is surprisingly effective. You wont notice any difference between night and day with the potions.

It also makes caves completley sheded with light. Sometimes I get confused if I placed torches or not :/
    Last edited by ArrogantLobster: 8/24/2012 10:28:41 PM
    Quote from simen671

Do you guys think Dinnerbone is giving a hint here? Or is he just Dinnerboning?
    Quote from ArrogantLobster

Manure would be a really nice addition to the game but the question is... Where would we aquire this gross item?

Well, it takes a lot of patience, and you have to make sure you understand the wiki, and then... shove it up your butt!

(I was watching clips of The Office today)
    I think you are going to love my Survival Let's Play series on YouTube! It's called Spaceboot1's Garden. I make pretty things.

Want to play Minecraft SSP like Spaceboot1? Try my modpack, all mods made by me, Spaceboot1!
    Carrots have vitamins that are necessary for the eyes and people who don't eat carrots often suffer from night blindness. Didn't dinnerbone joke about fish and chips? Stew sounds so good right now.

--Ocram

Always do your best and you will always be better than the best in my eyes.
    I find cauldrons to be useless. Maybe to make the new types of stews we would need to cook them in a cauldron?

I'm back after a long hiatus. I'm gonna try hanging out here again.
    Having caldrons being required for mushroom stew and possible future stews would be amazing. Adds more content to the game and we get to smell delicouse soup.
    Quote from simen671

Quote from FireKit

I've yet to find any. I'm at a zombie spawner and I've killed over 140 zombies with nothing but rotten meat and 2-3 iron. Seen a few armored or armed zombies. I loved how not a single one of those dropped any armor or tools.

Same here, has anyone had any luck with zombie drops being able to be picked up?

[Edit]
    Of course after posting a zombie dropped some carrots! plant them in the ground as is, no seeds. Try extending the walls of the spawner room to allow for more to spawn and just wait.
    Last edited by netnerd85: 8/25/2012 8:04:53 AM
    I'm netnerd85 from the PC Required team
    I really like the two new crops, but were still missing some.
    If my post helped you in anyway, or made you smile or share a quote of some sort, please click that cool ^ button.
    I got two potatoes of zombies, and one carrot. I've got full farms of them now and I must say they are useful. Carrots give, to me, the second most useful potion so I farm loads of them. Carrot Cake sounds nice.
    Forum Rules and Minecraft General Rules
    Do read them before posting. I mean it. >:C
    Grass Block is still here, though most of you have probably clicked it by now.
    Do not suggest Vertical Redstone, Emerald Tools, Obsidian Tools and Skylands. They will be burnt in a hole.
    More crops is cool for game flavour but I wonder how they plan to make foods more interesting mechanically.
    Simply adding more of less hunger you only grow the best and the others become redundant... rather like the armour system in which everything but diamond is a waste of time.

Quote from Ghostcat55

Posion Patato? ridiculous...

Why? Potato plants are pretty bloody poisonous; being a member of the nightshade family and all. I had a pet rabbit die from eating the berries (daughter was distraught).

As the root nodules grow the Solanine (read; mild but nasty nerve agent) in them becomes more dilute and breaks down a little as the potato matures but if the potato gets damaged it gets a bigger dose of solanine to protect it from predators. Eating wild or green taters (or if you managed to eat a 2 kilo pile of good ones) is a really bad idea.
    I think carrots and potatoes are going to be awesome! As well as more stews sounds like a great idea... What do you guys think the poisonous potatoes are going to be for?
    I think they might make a spoiling system.
    "Somtimes I think I'm the only person that has logical ideas in the room..."
    Quote from King Korihor

This addition is just begging for an expansion of the number of kinds of stew you can make:
    • Vegtable Stew
    • Beef Stew
    • Chicken Soup
    I may just need to start a mod for the snapshots just to see that happen. Yum.

I do like the baked potatoes (in the snapshot) and there are some other fun things that can be done with all of this. It certainly opens up possibilities for cooking.

I could hope the caldron can be used for something now :)

Cauldron for making all soups/stews? Support!
    Like brewing, but with instant feedback.

Quote from Darties

I think carrots and potatoes are going to be awesome! As well as more stews sounds like a great idea... What do you guys think the poisonous potatoes are going to be for?
    I think they might make a spoiling system.

Considering that potatoes don't suddenly become under-ripe and poisonous when they spoil, I doubt that highly.

When harvesting, you have a chance of getting a poisonous potato, which functions similarly to rotten flesh.

This is because some species of potato are, in fact, poisonous, and a potato that develops too close to the surface will turn green and potentially make you sick if you eat it.

EDIT: Didn't you ever watch Arthur when you were little? They covered all this! XD
    Last edited by cadika_orade: 8/25/2012 10:29:46 AM
    Quote from RotomGuy

I got two potatoes of zombies, and one carrot. I've got full farms of them now and I must say they are useful. Carrots give, to me, the second most useful potion so I farm loads of them. Carrot Cake sounds nice.

We always think of a new cake in these updates :P

Carrot cake, chocolate cake, pumpkin pie!

We will have around 30 foods when 1.4 comes out :D
    Quote from simen671

Quote from ArrogantLobster

We always think of a new cake in these updates :P

Carrot cake, chocolate cake, pumpkin pie!

We will have around 30 foods when 1.4 comes out :D

So long as it doesn't involve adding new items just for those foods. (Pie crust, cake frosting, other malarky food mods add...)
    I've always liked Minecraft's way of making food. It makes no sense, but it is simple and easy to do.
    I'm bored, so have some relevant images!

Let us all agree to post a potato-related image or video on every thread that is discussing potatoes.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes