Coloring New Hardened Clay Block

They look dull because the original color is brown, and mixing a color with a brown material will produce a duller color. I still enjoy them anyway.
    I play vanilla.

Mods are not an option

texture packs are not an option

So why would someone give an excuse like "If you don't like the color, use a texture pack to hide it".

It's like telling someone about to buy a new car who doesn't like the color options to do it themselves with a can of spraypaint.
    Quote from avisioncame

I play vanilla.

Mods are not an option

So why would someone give an excuse like "If you don't like the color, use a texture pack to hide it".

It's like telling someone about to buy a new car who doesn't like the color options to do it themselves with a can of spraypaint.

But that is exactly how it works. The vast majority likes the colours of stained clay. So everyone who doesn't like them basically has two options: 1) Deal with it or 2) change the texture in your private texture pack.
    Quote from Random_Guy_32

But that is exactly how it works. The vast majority likes the colours of stained clay. So everyone who doesn't like them basically has two options: 1) Deal with it or 2) change the texture in your private texture pack.

Vast majority? Where did you get that from?

The colors for the stained clay are /ok/ right now but maybe make them more to their color? I don't like how black clay and all the others mentioned isn't really that color or even shade.
    I agree, they look nothing like what the dye is supposed to do. But I think it is pretty logical, I mean, adding black to white doesn't make it black instantly -- it makes it grey. I think mojang is aiming for that logic. But in that case we should be able to keep adding colors to hardened clay in RGB format so we could get any color we want. I love the texture of the block though, it is so smooth and has no outlines makes it an ideal block for building even without colors.

Anyways, to sum this up, I think we should be able to keep adding dye colors to hardened clay to get any color in RGB format. Something like leather would be nice too.
    Quote from Winter_Mage

Vast majority? Where did you get that from?

The colors for the stained clay are /ok/ right now but maybe make them more to their color? I don't like how black clay and all the others mentioned isn't really that color or even shade.

From what I've read on the forums and Reddit, most people prefer the pastel colours.
    I'm in. I'll be using coloured clay as plaster in my builds.

If you don't like it, I don't know what to say. I'm sorry, but I like it and will be using it.
    I think you are going to love my Survival Let's Play series on YouTube! It's called Spaceboot1's Garden. I make pretty things.

Want to play Minecraft SSP like Spaceboot1? Try my modpack, all mods made by me, Spaceboot1!
    Quote from tobelebo9

I know that but like i said: i agrre with mixing it with the original color of the Hardened clay but i think it should look more like the color you paint it.
    The Cyan block is just gray and not in the slightest bit blue/green.

Ok, but then you can just use wool instead.
    Quote from The_catmaker

Wool has a rough texture, the hardened clay is smooth and flush. I never liked wool for buildings, but the hardened clay seems to be a great replacement for that.
    Quote from Whezolor

I agree, they look nothing like what the dye is supposed to do. But I think it is pretty logical, I mean, adding black to white doesn't make it black instantly -- it makes it grey. I think mojang is aiming for that logic. But in that case we should be able to keep adding colors to hardened clay in RGB format so we could get any color we want. I love the texture of the block though, it is so smooth and has no outlines makes it an ideal block for building even without colors.

Anyways, to sum this up, I think we should be able to keep adding dye colors to hardened clay to get any color in RGB format. Something like leather would be nice too.

I really never liked that because it would be so chaotic....
    Quote from Whezolor

Wool has a rough texture, the hardened clay is smooth and flush. I never liked wool for buildings, but the hardened clay seems to be a great replacement for that.

All the more reason to make colors more aligned.
    All I am saying, is that this is how Mojang fixes problems. If people don't like the colors, Mojang will listen and they will tweak them.

I personally have no complaints, other than black (I would have been fine just using coal, but the new coal block texture kinda throws a wrench into things, i like it, just not for what I was planning on using it for).

For some reason I feel like they will eventually make Hardened clay half slabs and stairs, and this is where building limits will be endless (I refuse to use colored wool as a building material) as long as the colors are right.
    Quote from avisioncame

For some reason I feel like they will eventually make Hardened clay half slabs and stairs, and this is where building limits will be endless (I refuse to use colored wool as a building material) as long as the colors are right.

I actually have a feeling they won't be adding hardened clay half slabs or stairs ever. But you can surely mod them in.
    I think you are going to love my Survival Let's Play series on YouTube! It's called Spaceboot1's Garden. I make pretty things.

Want to play Minecraft SSP like Spaceboot1? Try my modpack, all mods made by me, Spaceboot1!
    Quote from Spaceboot1

I actually have a feeling they won't be adding hardened clay half slabs or stairs ever. But you can surely mod them in.

Lol no. I don't do mods!

We shall see...we shall see....
    I have absolutly no problem with, in fact I support wholeheartedly, the hardened clay blocks being a duller color of the dye, just... seriously, cyan + brown does not equal gray, and adding brown to blue doesn't make it purple. This is basic color theory stuff Mojang.
    Quote from avisioncame

I play vanilla.

Mods are not an option

The only reason mods are not the option is because:
    1. They need time to update
    2. They might not fix the entire problem
    3. Many are only compatible with themselves.
    Texture packs, however, are a perfect solution to this issue, especially with the new texture pack updates because
    1. They do not need to update after updates
    2. They fix the entire problem
    3. You can combine textures
    So if you do not like the clay block textures, get a texture pack.
    #PoppyRedArmy
    Quote from TVflea

The only reason mods are not the option is because:
    1. They need time to update
    2. They might not fix the entire problem
    3. Many are only compatible with themselves.
    Texture packs, however, are a perfect solution to this issue, especially with the new texture pack updates because
    1. They do not need to update after updates
    2. They fix the entire problem
    3. You can combine textures
    So if you do not like the clay block textures, get a texture pack.

No, the reason it is not an option to me, is because I am a purist and intend to play the game the way the developers designed it themselves.

Texture packs typically look amateur and/or sloppy. Yes there are a lot of good texture packs out there, and I do like to try them out sometimes just for fun, but always go back to the default settings. To many texture packs might seem like an obvious fix, but as a graphic designer myself, I tend to appreciate the creator's vision over modders.

For example, people that mod their cars. Sure, sometimes it looks pretty cool...but there are design teams that are payed a lot of money and spend many hours designing the way that car was intended to look.

Again I am a purist and there isn't really a point arguing that point because it's a "to each his own" type of situation.

Bottom line: Yes texture packs can be fun, but they should not be used solely to fix a "problem". We should either make our voices heard, or learn to live with it. Whichever comes first. :Pig:
    Quote from The_catmaker

Yeah but wool has a stronger texture which is ugly on most houses.
    Also Wool is Burnable so you cant have a fireplace or anything that uses fire/lava.
    The new Hardened Clay has good texture but some of the blocks just dont look like the color you make them.
    I dont mind some new colors but the Shades of gray and black are too brown, the cyan is just Light-gray and the blue is purple.
    Quote from Whezolor

I agree, they look nothing like what the dye is supposed to do. But I think it is pretty logical, I mean, adding black to white doesn't make it black instantly -- it makes it grey. I think mojang is aiming for that logic.

That depends. Black paint on a thing painted white will make it black, provided that the white was dry to begin with. If the white was wet, the two colors would mix and make grey, but otherwise, the black would (nearly) cover the white.
    Quote from tobelebo9

Yeah but wool has a stronger texture which is ugly on most houses.
    Also Wool is Burnable so you cant have a fireplace or anything that uses fire/lava.
    The new Hardened Clay has good texture but some of the blocks just dont look like the color you make them.
    I dont mind some new colors but the Shades of gray and black are too brown, the cyan is just Light-gray and the blue is purple.

With proper planing you can have a fire place. Just make sure the blocks are four above the fire and one away on the same plane.
    Quote from AlphaShard

With proper planing you can have a fire place. Just make sure the blocks are four above the fire and one away on the same plane.

But that still wouldn't take away the rough texture of the wool.
    That's why i wanted colored stone for a while but i got dissapointed when i saw the blue/black/gray/white colors.
    They should add the coloring like leather (suggestion from WheZolor) That would satisfy both sides and that's pretty easy to do if they use the same color code and just create a blank texture to overlay.
    Last edited by tobelebo9: 5/11/2013 4:01:30 PM
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes