Regional Difficulty?

Maybe this would work as Creepers have a abit bigger blast (Just under charged) after maybe a few hours in a certain area.
    Getting jelly of my diamond loot?
    Honestly, This is a stupid idea.
    Why should the difficulty get harder the longer you stay in one place? Surely this is just punishing you for building a home base, or building an awesome town in SMP? While it is fun to play nomad sometimes, half of Minecraft is about building, so why should it get to the stage that you're bullied off of your land by waves and waves of mobs?
    Honestly, I think Dinnerbone should focus on what he was brought aboard for, The fabled, rumoured, obviously non-existant modding API, and then sod ­ off. In reality, he's only there as part of the modding API team, so the question must be asked; Why does Dinnerbone now have creative input in the games feature development?
    Last edited by CillitTwib: 7/24/2013 7:07:04 AM
    Quote from CillitTwib

Honestly, This is a stupid idea.
    Why should the difficulty get harder the longer you stay in one place? Surely this is just punishing you for building a home base, or building an awesome town in SMP? While it is fun to play nomad sometimes, half of Minecraft is about building, so why should it get to the stage that you're bullied off of your land by waves and waves of mobs?

Totally agree. I have 2 main bases where I spend most of the time. Recently I use beds more than anytime before. I didn't find any information how to reset the regional difficulty so I assume you can't do it. This means I'll have to cheat the difficulty down with some external program if such a program will be made.
    Honestly, I find this feature to be a excellent addition. The concept of getting into a practical "arms-race" with the mobs is fun. It just needs balancing. The rate of regional difficulty rising should be lightly raised by the number of players commonly found in the same region. Furthermore, it should then be slowed down or stopped by the number of deaths those players have had. (More deaths = less diamond-clad skeletons = less of a spawn massacre)

Speaking of a spawn massacre, that's the only flaw this addition has. Imagine a large multiplayer server with 100 daily players, twenty of those are decked in full enchanted diamond gear and are camping spawn, they only come on from 10:00AM to 10:00PM. Those players are ruining the ability for newbies to get out of spawn, those newbies then decide to wait until the diamond-clad leave.

Turns out the diamond-clad have damaged the ability for newbies to leave the spawn because the mobs, due to the diamond-clad's presence, are diamond-clad themselves. This is entirely speculation, however, i'm sure it's a valid concern on large multiplayer servers.
    The "Not balanced yet." part scares me...
    Do not want. I play Minecraft to build, not as a Survival Horror FPS.

Let's switch it around; how about Regional Difficulty: Game gets EASIER the longer you stay in one place?

Villagers don't die as much. Your sweet base with the redstone automation stays in one piece...and if you really crave adventure - you go, girl! Go explore that ravine with the lava bottom & the intersecting abandoned mine! ...but for Steve's sake, quit taking your frustrations out on no0bs & new worlds. It's getting real old.

The rationale for it is, as you clear an area from the wilderness, eventually it's civilized, claimed area. You're not constantly fighting off the hordes; you won. Move to the frontier if you want a fresh challenge, claim more land! ...There's a lot of games with this mechanic, and few if any that punish you for sitting still as is proposed for MC, that I can think of.
    Last edited by Ubiquitousnewt: 7/27/2013 1:13:24 AM
    Quote from Ubiquitousnewt

Do not want. I play Minecraft to build, not as a Survival Horror FPS.

Let's switch it around; how about Regional Difficulty: Game gets EASIER the longer you stay in one place?

Villagers don't die as much. Your sweet base with the redstone automation stays in one piece...and if you really crave adventure - you go, girl! Go explore that ravine with the lava bottom & the intersecting abandoned mine! ...but for Steve's sake, quit taking your frustrations out on no0bs & new worlds. It's getting real old.
    Quote from ExusiaProspekt

Honestly, I find this feature to be a excellent addition. The concept of getting into a practical "arms-race" with the mobs is fun. It just needs balancing. The rate of regional difficulty rising should be lightly raised by the number of players commonly found in the same region. Furthermore, it should then be slowed down or stopped by the number of deaths those players have had. (More deaths = less diamond-clad skeletons = less of a spawn massacre)

Speaking of a spawn massacre, that's the only flaw this addition has. Imagine a large multiplayer server with 100 daily players, twenty of those are decked in full enchanted diamond gear and are camping spawn, they only come on from 10:00AM to 10:00PM. Those players are ruining the ability for newbies to get out of spawn, those newbies then decide to wait until the diamond-clad leave.

Turns out the diamond-clad have damaged the ability for newbies to leave the spawn because the mobs, due to the diamond-clad's presence, are diamond-clad themselves. This is entirely speculation, however, i'm sure it's a valid concern on large multiplayer servers.

IMO,I think the difficulty should lower the longer you are there with the 2 quotes above as reasons.
    Quote from DragonHeroBlaze

You know, if you think about it, this realistically makes sense.
    The enemy knows where you are; the weaker troops they have tried using against you didn't succeed.
    You've presented them with a challenge, so they will now give everything they have got in order to kill you.
    They aren't an army of evil, they are random stupid monsters that run into you.

This is the only change I was waiting for db to implement, thank god he finally did it! I might actually play long enough to care about enchants.
    Last edited by KyoShinda: 7/26/2013 5:29:09 PM
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes