On how to use /gamerule...?

I had no idea that this was even in game. With superflat having more customization being added(or I think it is) makes me wonder what else they will add. Some of them seem like they'd benefit map makers. Which in a game like Minecraft seems like a good idea.

Quote from cadika_orade

Very interesting indeed. So I could make a map out of wool and TNT, add a pool of lava, and stop fire from spreading until someone solves the final puzzle?

I could....

doFireTick = Turn fire spread on and off.
    doMobLoot = Keep mobs from dropping loot and potentially making my adventure map easier.
    doMobSpawning = Keep new mobs from spawning except where I want them to.
    doTileDrops = No more looting chests by breaking them!
    keepInventory = ...I have no idea. o_O
    mobGriefing = No creeper craters or enderman blocks! I'll bet it stops zombies from breaking doors, too.

keepInventory could keep people from having to start over due to losing all their stuff.
    I have gone inside my Minecraft world with a program called NBTedit and I have found all the game rules. Listed in order found.
    commandBlockOutput = This one most people don't know about, if true it makes it so you dont get a message when any command blocks run.
    doFireTick
    doMobLoot
    doMobSpawning
    doTileDrops
    keepInventory
    mobGriefing
    That's about it, if another snapshot comes out, I'll whip out this program and tell you whats new.
    Quote from Boilingfort

All you can do is turn them on and off, like /gamerule doFireTick false turns fire spread off. They are case-sensitive. doMobLoot disable makes nothing drop items, the monsters and animals just drop xp. doMobSpawning turns off mob spawning, i don't know what doTileDrops do. keepInventory decides if you keep your inventory when you die. mobGriefing turns off creeper block damage and endermen block pickup.

That's weird, im on my server and it still spreads, but it doesn't burn any blocks.

EDIT: Oops, this thread is older than I thought...
    Last edited by Enotho: 10/26/2012 2:57:45 PM
    Quote from Chimera245

Also, it's worth noting that if MobSpawning is off, all the mobs that have ALREADY spawned are still there, and mobs can still come out of spawner blocks, like in a dungeon or Nether Fortress. And unlike Peaceful difficulty, it seems to stop animals and other passive mobs from spawning, too.
    Yeah, did some testing of that too. It seems like the only way to keep your world in prefect enemyfree condition you should set dificulty to peaceful, turn of mobspawning and THEN go back to normal dificulty
    Last edited by haxjagarn: 10/26/2012 4:27:20 PM
    build your portals closer than ever
    Quote from Teo1000

I have gone inside my Minecraft world with a program called NBTedit and I have found all the game rules. Listed in order found.
    commandBlockOutput = This one most people don't know about, if true it makes it so you dont get a message when any command blocks run.
    doFireTick
    doMobLoot
    doMobSpawning
    doTileDrops
    keepInventory
    mobGriefing
    That's about it, if another snapshot comes out, I'll whip out this program and tell you whats new.
    also i didn't know about commandBlockOutput so thanks

Plz Help It Stay Alive So Click It
    I gotta say, I like these. I can see myself playing with a few of these on. I got used to my server where the creepers didn't blow up builds (to prevent griefing) and I really got used to it.
    I think "Tile Drops" is for "Tiles that drop" randomly, while you play... the "world erode" effect, where tiles drop down a few blocks. That is the funny sound you hear when playing like some digital bird making noise... You come back and find part of your lava-wall is now broken, the tiles dropped into the ground.

I have not seen "tile drops" ever referring to "loot" or "dropped items". (or mellons or wheat or any other entity, other than a "Block Tile", in code or in postings about changes.)

FYI, Aliens will move blocks, lightning, dynamite, world erosion (tiles dropping into the ground), and creepers and ghasts will still destroy your land and structures. Rules need a LOT of additional control, and actual help files. When you have to look at code to figure out what it does, that is a development fail.

Try the minecraft-adventures mod. It actually has real control, and a true "game element".

Also, FYI... Though the fire-tick is off... Lightning still strikes, causing fires that never spread, but still damage.
    Everyone seems to be posting what game rules are available to change, here's an example of what I'd do if I wanted to turn mob spawning off "/gamerule doMobSpawning false" always remember the game rule itself its CaSe SeNsItIvE... don't forget that.

A list of rules is available at the wiki.
    "Everything is Mime-owned. The end of that unknown." -Windows speech recognition.
    They really need one to adjust the rain time or turn rain off completely.

Raining 50% of the time on every server is annoying.
    Best mod ever:
    Quote from Sneezy

You can do that with MCEdit, there's a "binary block" that makes rain turn off/on permanently.
    Not sure if they added that in this update?
    You can also type in /help to get a list of all the commands and the syntax (how to write them)

There are 3 pages of help, to get to the other pages type /help 2 and /help 3

If you need to put cheats on, load your world - then use the menu to find Lan options and publish your world to Lan server - this will let you put cheats on - but you may have to set it each time you play.
    I found you just do /gamerule (gamerule itself). However using caps is VERY important. Don't forget them.
    Since this topic is currently active, I'd like to ask something. Me and a friend are looking to start a server, and would like to disable mob griefing. Is there any elegant way to make sure those commands are always enabled? Mostly since if the server restarts, they would get turned off and someone would need to trigger either the command block or go inworld and use the commands again. Something automated would be nice here.
    Quote from Psistorm

Since this topic is currently active, I'd like to ask something. Me and a friend are looking to start a server, and would like to disable mob griefing. Is there any elegant way to make sure those commands are always enabled? Mostly since if the server restarts, they would get turned off and someone would need to trigger either the command block or go inworld and use the commands again. Something automated would be nice here.

I am wondering the exact same thing. Would be nice if this could be used (or eventually implemented) as a tag in the server.properties file so it was always set to false.
    Quote from cadika_orade

Very interesting indeed. So I could make a map out of wool and TNT, add a pool of lava, and stop fire from spreading until someone solves the final puzzle?

I could....

doFireTick = Turn fire spread on and off.
    doMobLoot = Keep mobs from dropping loot and potentially making my adventure map easier.
    doMobSpawning = Keep new mobs from spawning except where I want them to.
    doTileDrops = No more looting chests by breaking them!
    keepInventory = ...I have no idea. o_O
    mobGriefing = No creeper craters or enderman blocks! I'll bet it stops zombies from breaking doors, too.

keepInventory saves the players inventory on death.
    Are those gamerules global for all maps?
    Where are they stored?

I could not find a file for them, so I thought they would be stored in the maps .dat file.
    Does someone know this?
    Quote from CubieX

Are those gamerules global for all maps?
    Where are they stored?

I could not find a file for them, so I thought they would be stored in the maps .dat file.
    Does someone know this?

Looks like they're "per world" options, and stored in the level.dat file (thanks NBTExplorer)
    They also only work for Cheat enabled worlds, unless you use just mentioned program to change the settings in level.dat I'd imagine :)
    Quote from Chilangosta

I haven't heard any explanation of the new "/gamerule" command in the latest snapshot, except this from the Minecraft Wiki:

/gamerule <rule name> <value> or/gamerule <rule name> : Allows the player to adjust several base settings. Rule Names: doFireTick, doMobLoot, doMobSpawning, doTileDrops, keepInventory, mobGriefing.

I'll probably get on and play around with this, but until I do, is there anyone that can tell me what these base settings do and what values modify them (how much, etc.)?

+rep for posting this! Thanks for the info.
    Quote from Sneezy

You can, its the /weather command
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes