Breaking News - Modding API Updates!

Quote from Chipmunk9998

I'm fairly certain it's free to make mods, and I think MCP will stick around for a bit since the API isn't supporting client mods just yet...

If memory serves they specifically said in the panel that mods like the minimap would be possible in the game. The specific question was something like

"Will you ever add functionality like Rei's Minimap directly into the game"

"No, but you could get a mod for that".

Oddly there seems to be confusion even in the initial post that summarizes the panel (I might be the one that is confused, though, in fact that's probably more likely, but I haven't been able to interpret the panel as saying client side mods would be impossible)... If you can stand people asking really stupid questions*, it's a good idea to give it a go if you are interested in details. I don't remember anything specific that said there would be no way to have Client-side modifications. Obviously they would be necessary since mods will be adding blocks and textures and whatnot, so they are going to have client-side assets.

On a side note, the panel was actually HILARIOUS... when people ask a dumb question you can see Dinnerbone looking off into space with a neutral smile, going to his happy place and mentally stabbing the people who constantly asked questions like "are you adding new mobs" or "Are you adding smoothstone slabs"

*Seriously... who goes to the convention to a game, get's a chance to ask the developers a question, and then asks "How long has this game been around"? An idiot, that's who.
    Last edited by BC_Programming: 11/26/2012 7:48:22 AM
    Quote from Kittani77

I can see the mod API being really cool for a handful of mods but completely useless for the stuff most existing mod makers actually want to be able to edit. At least we won't have to use MCPatcher to use the 32x32 faithful texture pack. When they say that Bukkit and Optifine won't be needed anymore I would take it with a grain of salt. Time will tell I guess but I'm not as optimistic about the development direction of the game as I used to be... most especially the junk world generator. Please don't add anything else below ground... the world is hollow enough as it is. Took me 6 hours to find a spot actually big enough to build a fancy MINE in MINEcraft without having to backfill a crapload of caves. I doubt the devs have actually ever taken an x-ray pack like strongestcraft or something and actually LOOKED at what gets generated iunderground. It's a train wreck of generation stepping all over itself. If this will let us fix that I'll be super impressed. This hasn't been MINEcraft since b1.7ish.

I agree. I had to use the "Better World Generation" mod to start myself a new survival world because I find the default terrain generation in Minecraft to be a pain. I often spawn in Taiga biomes which I don't like. I spawn in locations where there's barely trees. Barely any caves like It used to be back in the old Beta days.

But my only issue with the "Better World Generation" mod is that It doesn't generate clays like It would on the default terrain generation. So I had to uninstall the mod and go to the new chunks to see It, but at least my world is good looking with that mod.

I hope Mojang will improve the world generator once they implemented this modding API.
    How about giving a non ambiguous statement about bukkit server side plugin compability?
    Last edited by orgin_org: 11/26/2012 9:08:48 AM
    My server: colonies-playground.com
    World generator: http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/hothgenerator/
    Quote from FluffyDiscoSheep

Well thats cool i want to become a mod i already help out alot of people maybe one day. :)
    What does helping people have to do with modding?
    Quote from orgin_org

How about giving a non ambiguous statement about bukkit server side plugin compability?

What do you mean? They said that they didn't know if bukkit would still be around after the API launched. They stated that the API does all of bukkit's functionality plus a ton more. They stated that if bukkit continues development after the API is launched it would have to be based on top of the API to function. Yeah bukkit plugins would work with the new API, but just like every other mod, you'd have to do the conversion.
    Quote from Schrikvis

W00T.
    's too bad that client-side mods won't be supported, though.
    I'll miss my minimap mod.

GOOD, not bad :) goodbye cheaters :)
    Quote from Adrenalineq

GOOD, not bad :) goodbye cheaters :)

WTH do you mean with cheater, in SMP the only thing it does is provide a minimap and waypont, no mob detection or anything, so how is that considered cheating?
    Please quote me if you're talking to or mentioning me.
    sorry if I seem like a noob but whats a API ?
    Last edited by RETRO_MPH: 11/26/2012 1:56:13 PM
    Nothing here...
    OMG! Finally they did it! I just hope that they will actually make it.
    Quote from FinalSynFrey

I agree. I had to use the "Better World Generation" mod to start myself a new survival world because I find the default terrain generation in Minecraft to be a pain. I often spawn in Taiga biomes which I don't like. I spawn in locations where there's barely trees. Barely any caves like It used to be back in the old Beta days.

But my only issue with the "Better World Generation" mod is that It doesn't generate clays like It would on the default terrain generation. So I had to uninstall the mod and go to the new chunks to see It, but at least my world is good looking with that mod.

I hope Mojang will improve the world generator once they implemented this modding API.

If you dont like all the caves you can now just spawn a flat world "Mines dream" and your all set that has almost no caves. And for the tree's you can just get a seed with alot of tree's. Man people.
    Nothing here...
    Quote from Kalker3

WTH do you mean with cheater, in SMP the only thing it does is provide a minimap and waypont, no mob detection or anything, so how is that considered cheating?

Because it defeats the purpose of the regular (item) map.
    Iunno.

<div class="g-ytsubscribe" data-channel="TengenToppaLaskeri" data-layout="full" data-theme="dark" data-count="default"></div>
    Quote from Laskeri

Because it defeats the purpose of the regular (item) map.
    Iunno.

Meh, I'd rather call it a Map v2, I've used a map ONCE, on 1.3.2 and didn't like it at all, 'sides I would get lost on my expeditions anyway, the regular map is just too limited for me (Haven't used a 1.4 map, I probably won't anyway).
    Please quote me if you're talking to or mentioning me.
    Overall, the game engine is being simplified, taking most of the load off of the client, and having the server doing the heavy work, greatly improving SMP

I'm positively ("taking most of the load off of the client") and negatively ("having the server doing the heavy work") surprised. Minecraft servers are already VERY requiring hardware. It's good to optimize a client, but what about server?
    Last edited by kamild1996: 11/26/2012 4:07:03 PM
    English to Polish mod translator. Translated by me: Macro/Keybind Mod, Zyin's HUD, Craft++ (request another one here!)
    Do you maintain a mod and you would like me to translate it? Contact me at [email protected]! :)
    they are FINALLY putting this out! YES! im so exited!i have no idea what im talking about TROLOLOLOLOLlol
    when should the API come out?
    I think 1 question was missed

I want to know if a mod needs to be updated with every game update like they do today?
    I can't wait!
    :)
    Quote from Shourin

I think 1 question was missed

I want to know if a mod needs to be updated with every game update like they do today?

I don't think so, but I'm not sure.
    Why do they keep ignoring the people who've already created a modding API for them, and will probably be better still in the end. And if you don't know what I'm talking about, it's a great little thing called Forge.
    Ok some mods such as the Shurtugal mod and Rei's minimap and TMI, will that still be able to be used because I don't get what this API stuff is... my 1.2.5. has about 26-27 mods (don't judge me) and I wonder if most will be able to work if they get updated. At the moment my 1.4.2. has 9 mods so that went down by A LOT and I'm waiting for the others to update but the rest won't so idk. Basically, even if you have this, is it still possible for modders to add their mods such as reis minimap?
    So this is a bit like Garrys's mod ( you can download ressources from in the game right? I cant wait though!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes