A Texture Artist's Guide to MCPatcher's Features

Poll: Did you find this resource helpful?

Did you find this resource helpful? - Single Choice

• No 6.2%
  • Yes 93.8%

This poll has ended as of 5/15/2014 5:49:45 PM

Quote from iiPod

CTM newbie... I'm trying to go for the classic slab=pillars thing.

My terrain6.properties looks like this:
    method=vertical
    source=/ctm/verticalctm.png
    tiles=0-3
    sides=all

and my .png has them laid out like doc has, and still no results. Anyone care to spot my newbie error? :P

You are using the slab top terrain number - use terrain 5 for the side. :)
    But if you use the block id instead you get more variability.
    This is an example of a stone slab ctm -

The ctm.png on top, terrain id used on the left, block id on the right.

source=/ctm/ctm.png

method=vertical
    tiles=0-3
    metadata=0

// stone slab

Use metadata 0 to 5 for the different slab types (wooden slab - 2 - doesn't work anymore):

Quote from Meringue

You are using the slab top terrain number - use terrain 5 for the side. :)
    But if you use the block id instead you get more variability.
    This is an example of a stone slab ctm -

The ctm.png on top, terrain id used on the left, block id on the right.

source=/ctm/ctm.png

method=vertical
    tiles=0-3
    metadata=0

// stone slab

Use metadata 0 to 5 for the different slab types (wooden slab - 2 - doesn't work anymore):

Love it! But wouldn't using ctm on the sandstone slabs interfere with the ability to make carved sandstone blocks? (Since you can only make carved sandstone by stacking two slabs on top of one another)
    Make both our lives easier! Read the forum rules before posting.

"I love the textures, but why is everything so dark? I wish texture pack makers would make them brighter!"
    "They're dark like my soul." -Thistle
    Quote from Steelfeathers

Love it! But wouldn't using ctm on the sandstone slabs interfere with the ability to make carved sandstone blocks? (Since you can only make carved sandstone by stacking two slabs on top of one another)

Chiseled sandstone(The actual official name for it...) is actually made by stacking two slabs in the crafting grid... not actually stacking them.
    Sorry I've been gone. We lost internet. But I should be back about once or twice a week now, so expect to see me around.
    Quote from Urdothor

Chiseled sandstone(The actual official name for it...) is actually made by stacking two slabs in the crafting grid... not actually stacking them.
    Quote from Steelfeathers

Yes, Urdothor is right. You can see chiseled sandstone in the church walls on the left - the ones with the small cross-like glyph. :)
    Thank you so much! :)
    Quote from xaxk

I think it was because I had saved them in UTF-8 instead of ANSI. They were properly saved as .properties, and that's why I couldn't figure out what was wrong.

PS. The tutorial has been a huge help, thanks for doing it. :)

Edit: Also wanted to ask if it's possible to make the items in /gui/items.png random using the block id?

As far as I know, you can use CTM for the items, though I haven't tested that yet. I'm working on customizing log tops per each type of wood and creating smooth transitions between different block types (i.e. stone to dirt, etc.)
    Quote from drfrozenfire

As far as I know, you can use CTM for the items, though I haven't tested that yet. I'm working on customizing log tops per each type of wood and creating smooth transitions between different block types (i.e. stone to dirt, etc.)

As to the second thing, the smooth transitions, be sure to post the results.
    Sorry I've been gone. We lost internet. But I should be back about once or twice a week now, so expect to see me around.
    Quote from drfrozenfire

Quote from Urdothor

As to the second thing, the smooth transitions, be sure to post the results.

I second that - i am really curious how it's done. How can you connect 2 different blocks??

Another thing - i wonder if it's possible to use the Better Glass feature on lava? I tried to apply a translucent texture and a render pass to blocks 10 and 11, but i had no luck. Maybe i'm missing something again.
    Last edited by Meringue: 10/8/2012 4:24:08 AM
    is it possible to animate things like entity's, particles, mobs, etc.?
    Quote from Roxas nightwing

is it possible to animate things like entity's, particles, mobs, etc.?

I believe so, but you should try it and post the results!

The smooth transitions have proven difficult, but I've gotten the "repeat" method down pretty well.
    Show us some screenies please?

I've always thought it was impossible with current MCPatcher!
    veatqervtwtW4V
    Hmm i made a "repeat" pattern for the smooth sandstone with the CTM, but it uses another texture already registered in CTM for top and bottom. Any idea how can i cover the top/bottom with another texture? ;)
    Thanks!

Anyway, great tutorial you've got there. It helped me a lot! :)
    Cookies for you!
    if block 43 is for the slabs. How do you edit them all to have their own sides in one file? I've not found a texturepack yet that shows how this could be done to use as an example.
    Quote from Taiine

if block 43 is for the slabs. How do you edit them all to have their own sides in one file? I've not found a texturepack yet that shows how this could be done to use as an example.

What exactly do you mean? All metadatas in one properties file?
    Quote from Deonyi

Show us some screenies please?

I've always thought it was impossible with current MCPatcher!

Quote from Imonobor

Hmm i made a "repeat" pattern for the smooth sandstone with the CTM, but it uses another texture already registered in CTM for top and bottom. Any idea how can i cover the top/bottom with another texture? ;)
    Thanks!

Anyway, great tutorial you've got there. It helped me a lot! :)
    Cookies for you!

ignore the sidegrass... I'm still working on that.

I think you still need to rename the topics title to mcpatcher AND optifine, sense they both use the same thing :3

You should also make sure to state that file names don't have to all be the same. like you're saying name file randomctm.png, okay what if you run out of room? Then what?! For new people they may get stuck thinking you're stuck with just that one file, but any file under any name will work as long as it's pointed to in the properties files. Really need to point that out ;P

Trust me when I first started, I thought they had to be named such, and also thought only one texture could be per file. My thinking based on how the topics written out was 'okay I can only make one texture this way as I can only have one randomctm.png file'

Then I learned, derp! I can have whatever I want in one file and call that file whatever I please!
    I wonder if there's a way to use CTM to replace the lever stone base texture? I replaced most of those deriative textures (stairs were hard...), but i guess that bit isn't possible?
    Hey doc, i found a small typo on your guide, the green diagram is representing the "TileID" and not the "BlockID"

This though does have block ids and you should be able to use this to create textures independent from their source (ie; fences, buttons, pressure plates)
    Quote from thecrazydudesrd

Hey doc, i found a small typo on your guide, the green diagram is representing the "TileID" and not the "BlockID"

This though does have block ids and you should be able to use this to create textures independent from their source (ie; fences, buttons, pressure plates)

Oh my bad! Thanks for finding that.
    Quote from Taiine

rofl. well one your file does NOT need to be named that, it could be named anything and have a large mixture of files for all settings. To me that is the big thing that is misleading on this guide, it makes it sound like you need everything on its own file, when you can mid it up.

just like mine :3 I have random, horizontal, and vertical on that, and below it the basic CTM for glass.

as for bookcases,

make sure it's pointing to your file in the proper way.

For example mine is for terrain35.properties (thats bookshelves)

source=/ctm/ctm1.png
    method=horizontal
    tiles=48-51

notice the /'s I think many of his examples are lacking a few as sone didn't load for me either until I added the extra /
    48-51 is just where the texture is on my file.

also make sure the first three textures are for the left, middle, and right side of the 'connected' prt, and the 4th is the sand alone default texture.

Is there a way that you can also make it random? As in, as you place the bookshelves, they will be randomly places with one of the 4 textures rather than in the row?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes