>>>> Download
    Mediafire
    >>>> Download
    Rapidshare
    Updated: 06.12.2013, Size: 8.69 MB
    Older versions:

v1.6: Download (for Minecraft 1.6.x)
    v1.5: Download (for Minecraft 1.5.x)
    v1.4: Download (for pre-1.5 Minecraft versions)

What is that ?
    This resource upgrade for the default resource pack of Minecraft is a good compromise between "keep Minecraft faithful" and "make Minecraft more realistic", so it's someting like a "default-realism" resource pack which replaces some default textures with improved ones and adds more intense colors, more variety and more advanced texture features to the game. Using this pack doesn't change the game's overall appearance, but Minecraft looks better and more realistic in several ways and some of the default textures will be more useful with "Better than Default".

What are the main features of this pack ?
    It adds a bunch of improved textures (water, lava, fire and portal animations, several blocks and items, GUI elements, the sun, moon, paintings, armor, ...), not few of them with increased resolution. It also adds a better readable HD in-game font, full Custom Colors support to tweak many hard-coded color settings, random skins for some mobs, camouflaged Creepers, connected and random terrain textures, more realistic glass rendering and a complete new HD skybox to the night sky. Furthermore, it replaces the most annoying in-game sounds with improved or new ones. For a more detailed list of the features, see below.

What do I need to install ?
    Depends on how much features you wanna use. Even an unmodded, clean Minecraft installation allows you to enjoy many features included in "Better than Default". For a full-featured "default-realism" experience, you should always install the latest MCPatcher !

Can I use Optifine instead the Patcher ?
    All the additional, non-vanilla texture features of this pack are designed work with the latest MCPatcher. You can try it with Optifine too, but don't blame me if anything doesn't work!

I really like this. How can I support you ?
    By doing some feedback and suggestions on this thread, reporting issues, telling all your friends to use this and by adding the following banner code to your signature:
    [url="http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1277335-"][img]http://i.imgur.com/CU0Yp.png[/img][/url]

Recent changes:

Update v1.7 available including following new features and changes:
    • Slightly revamped lava buckets
    • Tweaked resource pack selection arrows in the resource pack menu
    • Fixed missing golden heart icons in health bar with "Absorption" effect
    • Fixed improved Huge Mushroom textures not showing up on unpatched Minecraft installations
    • Slightly tweaked Huge Mushroom stem textures
    • Added 23 new Fixed CTM Textures to Huge Mushrooms to give them a more realistic appearance
    • Added animated ultra-HD item for Command Block Minecarts
    • Added a new sugar cane item which better fits the new appearance of sugar canes
    • Added new leaf textures for Birch, Acacia and Dark Oak Trees
    • Updated connected jungle log top textures to reflect the new appearance of default jungle logs
    • Added Connected Textures support for Spruce and Dark Oak log top textures
    • Added new Packed Ice texture (opaque version of normal ice)
    • Added Random Textures support for Packed Ice (analogous normal ice)
    • Added Random Textures support for Red Sand (analogous normal sand)
    • Added Random Textures support for the Podzol top and side textures (8 different textures per face)
    • Added missing Random Textures support for grass and mycelium block side textures
    • Added Random Textures support for Double Tall Grass (4 different textuers for each tile)
    • Added new double fern textures, better fitting the small ferns
    • Updated grass and foliage color palettes to show smooth altitude transitions
    • Reduced intensity of dusty brown fog in hot and dry biomes (looks better in Mesa and Savanna biomes)
    • Added 6 new biome- and height-specific Creeper camouflage skins
    • Added an exception rule for connected hardened and stained clay blocks in all Mesa biome types
    • Internally changed all things based on block IDs to use the new Minecraft block name system instead
    • Added new HD Minecraft Realms logo
    • Removed old HD Mojang logo because resource packs no longer support changing the logo
    • Changed carrot and potato plant textures to make them better distinguishable
    • Disabled backface culling for renderpass=3, allowing you to see the backface textures of glass blocks/panes
    • Adjusted the translucent parts of glass blocks/panes to fit the new backface effect of renderpass=3
    • Removed the glass pane top texture to give glass panes a better appearance
    • Added complete new, better looking textures for Stained Glass blocks and panes
    • Added Random Textures support for Stained Glass blocks/panes (8 different textures per color)
    • Added new, less annoying weather sounds (rain and thunder)
    • Re-added the old cow sounds and tweaked cow trampling sounds
    • Improved the headache-triggering bat sounds to be more realistic and less annoying
    • Improved portal, fire ignition, lavapop, water flow and water splash sounds
    • Added new explosion, bow shoot and bow hit sounds

List of implemented features:

More screenshots here:

Enjoy several features of MCPatcher’s Connected Textures mod !
    Comparison Default / Better than Default

Full Better Glass support:

Random textures and Random Mobs:

Better colored Redstone Wires, better Repeaters and high-contrast displays !

Swamps now are more swampy !

Snow and ice revamped !

Better, more dusty deserts:

Enjoy Kristoffer Zetterstrand’s original artwork in 4x resolution !

Blowing up some houses is more fun now !

Better armor and random ores:

Random Zombie skins included !

Camouflaged Creepers, hehehe !

Better items and more detailed Enchantment Books !

Also did some improvements to The End !

Even hell is better than default !

1.) Download the LATEST MCPatcher here

2.) Be sure to use a clean, unmodded Minecraft installation. When patching, check the following:

- Extended HD
    - RandomMobs
    - Custom Colors
    - Connected Textures
    - Better Skies
    - Better Glass

3.) Copy the whole "Better than Default" zip-file to the resource packs folder of Minecraft (un-zipping the file is not necessary)

4.) Start the game, open Options / Resource Packs, select "Better than Default", click "Done" and enjoy!

I have a problem concerning "Better than Default": [insert your problem here], what did I wrong?
    Very simple. You've most likely NOT followed the installation instructions !

The pack was installed correctly, but all the water is grey. Intended feature or did I something wrong?
    Not intended, the water should have biome-specific colors. First, clean your Minecraft installation, patch it again and make sure to have "Custom Colors" checked. If the mod is not active, you're very probably using an outdated MCPatcher version.

The pack was installed correctly, but the night sky lags or is completely white. What's wrong?
    This happens most likely because of memory issues. First, shut down memory-consuming background applications you currently don't need. Also, update your Java, your video drivers and if you run a 64-bit OS, try to allocate more RAM to Java (Google is your friend). If nothing helps, you should disable the "Better Skies" mod when patching Minecraft.

You can change or use the included features in any way you want, you don't have to ask me for permission. I'm OK with people using my pack to make texture presentation videos or even to make their own texture/resource packs, but please add a reference including my name and a link to my forum thread!

You're not allowed to ...
    ... make any money with anything containing my stuff! (no donations, no adf.ly links, ...)
    ... upload my pack anywhere else (distribution is only made via this forum thread !)
    ... use any features I took from other texturepacks without the permission from the authors !

I've permission to use textures from the following texturepacks:
    • Misa's 64x64 Realistic Pack
    • Used parts: Water, lava, fire and portal animations (downscaled, colors changed), rain and snow textures, HD water blur, the Minecraft logo, the XP/boss health bars, map icons, XP orbs, a tweaked version of the HD Wither painting, the explosion animation (downscaled from 4x to 2x resolution), the charged creeper and Wither armor animations
    Best credits to Misa for her amazing 64x64 HD pack, it's currently one of the best HD texturepacks available in public. Please support her by downloading her pack from this forum thread !

Other projects I'm doing textures for:

Homepage - Reddit - Youtube - Forums - feel free to join the SoA community!
    Last edited by _zombiehunter: 5/10/2014 1:05:36 PM

"Better than Default" v1.7 is ready for download
    Pictures MUST go with the thread not afterwards
    Quote from OneWingedPie

Pictures MUST go with the thread not afterwards

Hey, I'm working on it !
    Be a bit more patient, I'm not as fast as light !

Quote from _zombiehunter

Hey, I'm working on it !

That's like saying "Hey, stop asking me if my product actually works before I try selling it to you!"
    Cheap and insulting.
    Not only did you break 3 rules, but i'm also willing to bet that this pack is some uninspired lazy vanilla edit
    ...But that's just my opinion.
    My modder's resource and assortment of miscellaneous textures.
    Status: Fed up with Minecraft [Consult the above link for details]
    My DeviantART, requests welcome.
    Quote from _zombiehunter

Hey, I'm working on it !

You should have been a bit more patient to gather your resources together before jumping to make a thread.
    [URL=http://imgur.com/YxWBz]
    shit wrong links me thinks
    Last edited by Joebear3603: 6/9/2012 12:26:18 PM
    I swear to god if you break my redstone wrinig i will shove my foot so far up your **** you wont be able to **** for weeks
    Quote from _zombiehunter

It's multi-version compatible and has not to be updated for every new Minecraft version !!!

It does have to be updated. Otherwise all the new items will be invisible.
    did a look on the texture pack. it's not even an upgrade, it's nothing at all. in the armor files, all that's there is power.png and there's no terrain.png.
    Actually this is quite clever, basically it adds some nice MCPatcher Tweaks, such as CTM, Biome Colors and Animated Textures including Water and Lava improvements.

♦ Piyo! ♦
    Quote from Kiajinn

Actually this is quite clever, basically it adds some nice MCPatcher Tweaks, such as CTM, Biome Colors and Animated Textures including Water and Lava improvements.

Thx, you're the first guy posting something nice here !
    My "texture upgrade" is very early in development, but I will add more features in the next update !
    v1.0 is for testing ...

Connected Textures

love that
    64 downloads in less than 12 h, .... more than I expected :rolleyes:

This is quite good :)
    It's quite nice. This is how default edits should be made.
    Yay, another default edit.
    ;(
    Quote from seanbreen97

;(

... and another senseless forum post ...

... constructive criticism is ok, but if you don't like it, simply don't use it and don't post here !!!!

For the interested ones, some upcomming features of v1.1 I'm currently working on:
    - RandomMobs support
    - More CTM stuff
    - Better sun/moon textures (?)
    - A lot of smaller changes ...

Well, look at my post in this way:

1) It's a crying face.
    2) My signature says "Default edits make me cry"
    3) It is a short way of saying that I dislike this pack.

Make sense now?
    Quote from seanbreen97

Well, look at my post in this way:

1) It's a crying face.
    2) My signature says "Default edits make me cry"
    3) It is a short way of saying that I dislike this pack.

Make sense now?

You're missing the point. No one saying they don't understand. The fact of the matter is it's a senseless, useless, unhelpful post.

The only thing that doesn't make sense is why someone with a signature that says "Default edits make me cry" is on a thread for a default edit pack. Unless the aforementioned someone is just a trolling ****.

And to the naysayers. It's a brand new pack. Be patient, and show a little support. You'll never know what it can be if you try to shut it down right away.
    Last edited by Lucid_Assailant: 6/11/2012 2:03:27 PM
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes