1.7.4 32x 64x

Glimmar's Steampunk v15 Hybrid - UPDATED 29/1/14 - 1.8 pics pg563> - GS Alt Textures v15 UPDATED - New Mod Support

Quote from TravieK

To say this texture is awesome would be an understatement...........great job man keep up the good work

Thanks, TravieK, I appreciate that. :)

Just working on some new animations and guis today....so still a work in progress.
    This is by far the best texture pack I've seen! I love all the animated blocks, and the diamond pickax and saw :D I'm going to make an adventure map based off of this texture pack!
    Love this pack *---*
    Quote from DrummerD00d77

This is by far the best texture pack I've seen! I love all the animated blocks, and the diamond pickax and saw :D I'm going to make an adventure map based off of this texture pack!

Many thanks for the encouragement, DrummerD00d77. :)

As mentioned in a post above, I had a good session this afternoon working on some new animations, so they should be in the next update.

I look forward to seeing what adventure you come up with. Don't forget, I'm trying to collect links to adventures that make use of my pack, so post us some pics if you want...when you feel it's ready to show off.

Good luck and have fun. :)

Quote from SumRock666

Love this pack *---*

Thanks, SumRock666, and thanks for saying. :)
    Last edited by Theevilpplz: 4/23/2012 11:17:14 PM
    Quote from dave11

Glimmar, that was a great, and interesting, explanation of your views and inspirations for this wonderful texture pack, and steampunk in general. Even though I've been a fan of it for a long time I don't think I have really expressed it here and thanked you for making it.

And 13thMurder, I hope you don't see it as that I'm taking Glimmar's "side" or anything here by stepping into your discussion. I've followed your thread too and you seem to have a lot of unique and fascinating ideas that will be interesting to see how you develop further.

(In the debate of what steampunk is and isn't I can't help but post this little catchy tune, for anyone who hasn't seen it.)
    Just Glue Some Gears On It (And Call It Steampunk)

not to worry, i understand completely.

i admit, due to my extreme social ineptitude, i may do some things that seem a bit... odd, but hopefully not offensive.

for example, my opinions on things are rarely rock solid, and should one provide evidence that makes me change my mind, i have no problem changing my opinion on things. i feel that standing by my own opinions once someone has made me feel differently about them, and come to new realizations would be absolutely ridiculous. some might call that a lack of principal, however, i think keeping an open mind to these things is the only way to truly understand well... anything really.

although, i shamelessly express my opinions, without fear of them being wrong, however i do so with the knowledge that they may not be right. as i said, without FEAR of them being wrong. they could be, but i just dont care. i do so almost as an unspoken challenge for others to attempt to change it. sometimes its quite impossible to do so, other times, people bring up good arguments against it, and i find myself agreeing. these are the times that make it worth doing.

glimmar brought up some good points on this one, and id have to say, i do agree. i was looking at it too narrowly.

looking into the dieselpunk genre, by description its quite similar to steampunk, and they do sort of bleed into each other, in that the material choices tend to be similar, however, if you look at the actual works, steampunk usually favors a victorian asthetic, and dieselpunk usually favors something a bit more like art deco... however, that is simply a more common interpretation of each. the whole point of art is to redefine things, and create new from the old (or just new works too, but thats beside the point) there are no solid definitions, just generalizations close enough to describe something so that your intentions are somewhat obvious. if there were solid definitions, everything would be the same, and thus boredom would ensue.

that song is rather awesome, the people of deviantart could make good use of the advice that song provides. "gears are appropriate to introduce, if they look like they have a legitimate use" ive seen far too many people marketing their shirt designs with a single lime green gear, claiming it to be steampunk, and oddly enough getting tons of fans over things like this... in these cases, i think they are trying to market to an audience they just dont understand.

however i leave you with a song, one completely irrelevant to the topic, but very good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufn7lan3Z_s

oh fine, have a steampunk one you've probably never heard too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDRHx4cPgbE
    steam powered giraffe needs to be far more famous than they are.
    Quote from 13thMurder

not to worry, i understand completely.

i admit, due to my extreme social ineptitude, i may do some things that seem a bit... odd, but hopefully not offensive.

for example, my opinions on things are rarely rock solid, and should one provide evidence that makes me change my mind, i have no problem changing my opinion on things. i feel that standing by my own opinions once someone has made me feel differently about them, and come to new realizations would be absolutely ridiculous. some might call that a lack of principal, however, i think keeping an open mind to these things is the only way to truly understand well... anything really.

although, i shamelessly express my opinions, without fear of them being wrong, however i do so with the knowledge that they may not be right. as i said, without FEAR of them being wrong. they could be, but i just dont care. i do so almost as an unspoken challenge for others to attempt to change it. sometimes its quite impossible to do so, other times, people bring up good arguments against it, and i find myself agreeing. these are the times that make it worth doing.

glimmar brought up some good points on this one, and id have to say, i do agree. i was looking at it too narrowly.

looking into the dieselpunk genre, by description its quite similar to steampunk, and they do sort of bleed into each other, in that the material choices tend to be similar, however, if you look at the actual works, steampunk usually favors a victorian asthetic, and dieselpunk usually favors something a bit more like art deco... however, that is simply a more common interpretation of each. the whole point of art is to redefine things, and create new from the old (or just new works too, but thats beside the point) there are no solid definitions, just generalizations close enough to describe something so that your intentions are somewhat obvious. if there were solid definitions, everything would be the same, and thus boredom would ensue.

that song is rather awesome, the people of deviantart could make good use of the advice that song provides. "gears are appropriate to introduce, if they look like they have a legitimate use" ive seen far too many people marketing their shirt designs with a single lime green gear, claiming it to be steampunk, and oddly enough getting tons of fans over things like this... in these cases, i think they are trying to market to an audience they just dont understand.

however i leave you with a song, one completely irrelevant to the topic, but very good. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Ufn7lan3Z_s

oh fine, have a steampunk one you've probably never heard too: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=dDRHx4cPgbE
    steam powered giraffe needs to be far more famous than they are.

...and you had good points too, 13thMurder. It made me sit up and think about Steampunk in it's general, but also specific sense, and it's always good to have an intelligent conversation about an exciting subject. I know many onlookers associate the subject with 'coggy' fashions and crazy people who like to dress up and go to conventions, which is certainly one aspect of the Steampunk world. However, I think what I like about the genre, after decades reading fantasy and science fiction, is that it satisfies my two great literary leisure interests in a strange oxymoronic(?) way - the past in the future, high fantasy combined with sophisticated low-technology, flamboyant renaissance architecture alongside 19th century grungy industry, light-hearted adventure at war with dark arcane forces and, when it's done well, presents a relief to the overly clean and minimalistic silicon chip era I grew up in.

You see, I'm old enough to have had an old working valve radio to play with as a kid, even before transistor radios became common place. That old glass fronted wooden cabinet had to warm up and 'glow' before it came alive, but there was something inside that box of hot valves that stayed with me for the rest of my life and seemed far more magical than today's static, dust protected, circuit packed Tupperware. For me that experience kind of epitomises what lies at the heart of Steampunk...

...Haaaah! I need to go off and daydream again. I shall listen to those songs you linked tomorrow, 13thMurder. Always nice to talk, even if I've cut in on a reply meant for someone else. :)
    Best steampunk texture pack EVAH!!!!

LIKE MY POST IF I HELPED YOU OUT :D
    Quote from Glimmar

...and you had good points too, 13thMurder. It made me sit up and think about Steampunk in it's general, but also specific sense, and it's always good to have an intelligent conversation about an exciting subject. I know many onlookers associate the subject with 'coggy' fashions and crazy people who like to dress up and go to conventions, which is certainly one aspect of the Steampunk world. However, I think what I like about the genre, after decades reading fantasy and science fiction, is that it satisfies my two great literary leisure interests in a strange oxymoronic(?) way - the past in the future, high fantasy combined with sophisticated low-technology, flamboyant renaissance architecture alongside 19th century grungy industry, light-hearted adventure at war with dark arcane forces and, when it's done well, presents a relief to the overly clean and minimalistic silicon chip era I grew up in.

You see, I'm old enough to have had an old working valve radio to play with as a kid, even before transistor radios became common place. That old glass fronted wooden cabinet had to warm up and 'glow' before it came alive, but there was something inside that box of hot valves that stayed with me for the rest of my life and seemed far more magical than today's static, dust protected, circuit packed Tupperware. For me that experience kind of epitomises what lies at the heart of Steampunk...

...Haaaah! I need to go off and daydream again. I shall listen to those songs you linked tomorrow, 13thMurder. Always nice to talk, even if I've cut in on a reply meant for someone else. :)

on the off chance you were unaware, there is such a thing as steampunk music. its not so much music about steampunk things, but is a genre all of its own. its an odd cross between industrial rock and 1920s jazz... usually. it varies a lot.

honestly, i wish i had a radio such as the one you describe, or perhaps a set of speakers that hook to my computer with vacuum tubes rather than electromagnets, there's a rather large difference in the sound depth potential.
    Last edited by 13thMurder: 4/22/2012 9:33:50 PM
    Quote from 13thMurder

on the off chance you were unaware, there is such a thing as steampunk music. its not so much music about steampunk things, but is a genre all of its own. its an odd cross between industrial rock and 1920s jazz... usually. it varies a lot.

Quote from Glimmar

Steampunk Music - Vernian Process
    Yes...Glimmar's Steampunk even has its own steampunk music, courtesy of Vernian Process:

Want to further add to the atmosphere of your epic steampunk worlds? 'Vernian Process' a musical collective of talented artists who create music themed around Victorian scientific romance and the modern equivalent of steampunk, have given us free use of instrumental music from their latest album 'Behold the Machine'. A full 11 tracks are available for download here for free:
    http://www.mediafire...7znyrngs6qrjq5a
    Josh, the lead singer in 'Vernian Process' is a Minecraftian too, it's due to his interest in our favourite game and Glimmar's Steampunk, that he has kindly made it possible for us to have free use of their music...and it really is fantastic to listen to whilst wandering around your steampunk builds. Many thanks to Josh and Vernian Process for being so generous.

That should speak for itself.
    I love your texture pack, but only one mystery: What's that weird 4-track monster WITHOUT a head... in the middle of the opening picture? What in the world is that thing? The minecraft wiki shows that it shouldn't exist... and the mod support doesn't show any mob-adding mods.
    Quote from TheMineMaster2

I love your texture pack, but only one mystery: What's that weird 4-track monster WITHOUT a head... in the middle of the opening picture? What in the world is that thing? The minecraft wiki shows that it shouldn't exist... and the mod support doesn't show any mob-adding mods.

It's one of the multiple alternate Creeper textures. The reason it doesn't have a head is because that part of the texture is… nothing. Transparent head texture results in that little beauty. Just watch out, it can hide behind 1-block high walls and explode on you without warning!
    Quote from ksheep

It's one of the multiple alternate Creeper textures. The reason it doesn't have a head is because that part of the texture is… nothing. Transparent head texture results in that little beauty. Just watch out, it can hide behind 1-block high walls and explode on you without warning!

Nice! Should've seen that one coming!
    Quote from Zeefu1234

That should speak for itself.

spoiler tags... i know what they do, i know they are there, and i intend to read their contents, yet i never quite do... XD

anyway, i was just putting it out there, for anyone who didn't know. steampunk music is rather obscure, even those who enjoy the steampunk aesthetic are often unaware that its also a music genre.
    Quote from DOTxTRI

Best steampunk texture pack EVAH!!!!

Many thanks. :)

There's always room for more...way too many medieval fantasy packs in my opinion and not enough sci-fi or historical themes. :P

Quote from 13thMurder

honestly, i wish i had a radio such as the one you describe, or perhaps a set of speakers that hook to my computer with vacuum tubes rather than electromagnets, there's a rather large difference in the sound depth potential.

Haha. I'm not such a music buff, but my sons and Josh from Vernian Process gave me some pointers. :D Besides classical music, I tend to enjoy heavy rock/instrumental or folk ballad, but as in the visual arts, I'm pretty wide ranging and open-minded in my taste and enjoy almost anything except TV talent and Xfactor shows. :)

You bet, I wish I did still have that radio and all the older appliances my parents exchanged for more [cough] advanced forms of technology. With the benefit of hindsight I tend to be a hoarder these days and keep almost everything that still looks useful. We live in an old Victorian/Edwardian house, so there's still room in the cellar and the loft for a little bit more. My wife isn't quite so blessed with the gift of hindsight like me! :D

Quote from ksheep

Nice! Should've seen that one coming!

Just wait until you see just nothing but bouncy caterpillar tracks spring out at you. Lol, I'm surprised I don't get more complaints about my little sad Creeperbot. It's not really fair for me to have made him like that, especially as I'm almost always building and testing textures in creative mode. So apologies all round, but in creative I've really got to like the little chappy wandering around the streets of my world. The joke will be on me one day if I go back to survival, because I only ever feel sorry for him. :)
    Last edited by Theevilpplz: 4/23/2012 11:16:06 PM
    Is it just me, or are the latest 6 or so posts missing? I remember seeing more earlier today, including someone suggesting an improvement for the spoilers, with a link. Either that, or I'm going crazy.
    Last edited by ksheep: 4/24/2012 12:01:09 AM
    I LOVE THIS PACK.

My one sole and singular complaint is that there's not some sort of Painterly-style pick-your-own customizer to mix-and-match the alternate options. Then again, I say that about any pack that offers alternate texture options. Mostly because I have zero talent when it comes to fiddling with image-editors and transparencies and whatnot that is usually needed for such tweakings.

Think you might get around to finishing the version on MinecraftCustomizer? It's been teasing us for ages...
    Quote from ksheep

Is it just me, or are the latest 6 or so posts missing? I remember seeing more earlier today, including someone suggesting an improvement for the spoilers, with a link. Either that, or I'm going crazy.

Nope...you're not going crazy, but yes, a number of my posts have been removed!

I was given a warning about the 'Dishonoured' video as being off-topic and not relevant to the thread! So I guess anything that followed after got removed by the moderator as well. I'm speaking to the moderator to settle the matter, and admin if necessary, as I can't agree my post about a Steampunk city and my reference to China Mieville, a steampunk writer (and my main source of inspiration for this pack) was off-topic and having little to do with the topic at hand.

I may be away for some time. :)

Quote from ChaosWolf

I LOVE THIS PACK.

My one sole and singular complaint is that there's not some sort of Painterly-style pick-your-own customizer to mix-and-match the alternate options. Then again, I say that about any pack that offers alternate texture options. Mostly because I have zero talent when it comes to fiddling with image-editors and transparencies and whatnot that is usually needed for such tweakings.

Think you might get around to finishing the version on MinecraftCustomizer? It's been teasing us for ages...

Glad you like the pack, ChaosWolf. I'm really sorry I've just not had the time to do anything further with the Minecraft Customiser. With such little free time I have to dedicate it to finishing sections of the pack that urgently need attention, and I'm currently working on a number of new animations in that respect.

Hopefully a worthy update will be coming soon... if I'm not banned.
    could you please add support for scandinavian letters (Ø and Å) its really annoying when i play on a norvegian server and parts of the word are gone, by the way great texture pack
    Last edited by Freddern72: 4/24/2012 10:34:05 AM
    Quote from Glimmar

Nope...you're not going crazy, but yes, a number of my posts have been removed!

I was given a warning about the 'Dishonoured' video as being off-topic and not relevant to the thread! So I guess anything that followed after got removed by the moderator as well. I'm speaking to the moderator to settle the matter, and admin if necessary, as I can't agree my post about a Steampunk city and my reference to China Mieville, a steampunk writer (and my main source of inspiration for this pack) was off-topic and having little to do with the topic at hand.

I may be away for some time. :)

i got a warning too, but if its just one i dont think its really anything to worry about it, as the warn level goes back to normal in a month.

also, ive been meaning to ask... in your signature, the texture in the top row, 3rd one from the left. the one that looks rather like coral. is that one that didn't make it into the game? ive never seen it, and its got an amazing gritty quality to it, id kind of like to have that as flooring, for some odd reason.
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/838839-125-thaumcraft-213b-updated-on-2142012-hotfixed/
    will someone consider making mod support for this? It is an awesome mod that would be awesome to have support for
    TG: im not a hero TG: my bro was
    TG: john is TG: im not
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes