1.7.4 32x 64x

Glimmar's Steampunk v15 Hybrid - UPDATED 29/1/14 - 1.8 pics pg563> - GS Alt Textures v15 UPDATED - New Mod Support

Quote from Quarg »
    I like it!

especially the doors and iron!
    looking forward to seeing what you do with redstone.

Many thanks, Quarg. :biggrin.gif:

I've already made the redstone, diamond and coal block, but I'm stumped on how to to get those displayed together on the surface without using something like InvEdit or something. Being the purist mega miner that I am, I never wanted to use any editors for fear of being accused of cheating ... when I eventually show everyone my world!

Any suggestions, anyone? I don't really want to have to mine all the way down to adminium to take a snap shot! :SSSS: Is InvEdit the only way to go?
    Quote from Stoup »
    Huge fan of the green torches, look a lot more mystical that Red.

Are you going to do items, too? That'd be the best selling point, as Minecraft's gameplay doesn't generally lend itself towards a steampunk-ish atmosphere.

Thanks, Stoup. really appreciate your comment. :smile.gif:

Although I'm not totally sure about the green torch yet, I was amazed at the effect a simple change of colour had on my dockland area! :biggrin.gif: Suddenly it went very eerie at night, even though I was on peaceful. Half expected Jack the Ripper to jump out!! :Skeleton: Can't wait for Notch to implement lanterns like many have requested. Squeeky lanterns blowing in the wind would be wonderful. Flippin' annoying, but wonderful for a while. :biggrin.gif:

Would love to do items too, but am amazed already what a struggle it is so far! If I knew now what was involved in doing a texture set ... I definately wouldn't have started, but it's been a great learning curve and I've found out more about 'alpha channels' and tesselation than I think I ever cared for!! Once the world textures are done I'd give it a go If the inspiration isn't drained away. I noted in my ideas/sketchbook that it might be possible to replace the bow and arrow with a more gadgety dart crossbow gun so the sound effect would still be appropriate and would still be in keeping with the handmade feel of a minecraft world. I wouldn't mind if anyone else had any ideas for the items. :Sheep:

I love stretching the limits of what can be done with minecraft as it's such an awesome gaming/architectural phenomenon. I guess I lied about the "definately not starting another..." as I'd love to see if it was possible to do textures on an "Egyptian" or "Aztec" theme. However...on with the Steampunk for now.
    Gotta say this is probably one of the most unique/creative texture packs I have seen yet. As someone else posted I really like the green torches - simple yet really gives that steampunk kind of feel. The gears and colors you chose really add to the overall feel as well. Keep up the amazing work!
    Gawrsh. You had me with the first screenshot, but that building and those torches have me salivating. Lovely stuff! :biggrin.gif:
    Quote from Hotels »
    Persevering businessmen like myself will not be dissuaded by such baseless criticism and naysaying.
    This, darling, is the Zybourne Block
    really though, these are some great looking textures. dorky as steampunk is, those doors and torches are badass and that is the nicest cactus texture I've seen (steam cactus??)

not wild about the cobble (seems too flat and bluish) but otherwise you should be very pleased with how it's turning out :]
    Quote from minecraftwb »
    Gotta say this is probably one of the most unique/creative texture packs I have seen yet. As someone else posted I really like the green torches - simple yet really gives that steampunk kind of feel. The gears and colors you chose really add to the overall feel as well. Keep up the amazing work!

Many thanks to you, minecraftwb, I can go to bed now (UK) a happy miner.

I think I got lucky with the green of the lights. My son who also plays minecraft was saying, "Be careful dad, people don't like the torches to be messed with!" I can well understand this and I'd probably have two versions still. Also changing the flame sprite on the 'particles' png to green has the effect of making little green flames jump out of the lava, rather than the usual orange flames. Weird when I first noticed it, but then i quite liked it as it had the effect of burning copper sulphate! Somehow seemed a bit more earthy and volcanic. So I'm really tickled that others seem to be liking it too. Still needs plenty of refinement though.

By-the-way, I've been using the new, very awesome, 32x32 glitch patch too, and it felt like a Secret Friday Update weekend! Wonderful stuff! viewtopic.php?f=25&t=46173

Thanks again, Minecraftwb. :smile.gif:
    Quote from tombones »
    This, darling, is the Zybourne Block

I've been having a good chuckle over this! :biggrin.gif: It might well be yet if I lose inspiration or I go out in a cobblestone texture explosion! :SSSS:
    Quote from tombones »
    really though, these are some great looking textures. dorky as steampunk is, those doors and torches are badass and that is the nicest cactus texture I've seen (steam cactus??)

not wild about the cobble (seems too flat and bluish) but otherwise you should be very pleased with how it's turning out :]

Haha! I'm particularly proud of that cactus. :iapprove: How can I steampunk it though? Any suggestions. A good bit of copper piping somewhere I think. On second thoughts I was stumped on what to do with the bamboo/reeds...I've a good use for that copper pipe now!

I'm frustratingly not wild about the cobble either, or the granite. Any suggestions anyone? I've Googled my way through every cobble on the internet and I'm pretty cobbled out now... :biggrin.gif:

Thanks for the compliments though, Tombones. :smile.gif:
    This is remarkably beautiful.
    I look forward to future developments.

Regarding the cactus, couldn't you make it into a sort of crystal? (It would be almost like Tiberium in application, now that I think about it.)
    Minecraft is the sequel to the Rorschach test.
    Quote from Glimmar »
    Quote from tombones »

Haha! I'm particularly proud of that cactus. :iapprove: How can I steampunk it though? Any suggestions. A good bit of copper piping somewhere I think. On second thoughts I was stumped on what to do with the bamboo/reeds...I've a good use for that copper pipe now!

I'm frustratingly not wild about the cobble either, or the granite. Any suggestions anyone? I've Googled my way through every cobble on the internet and I'm pretty cobbled out now... :biggrin.gif:

Thanks for the compliments though, Tombones. :smile.gif:

haha I had not considered steampunking the cactus, but come to think of it that would be pretty amazing to have a texture pack with gears, pipes and boilers on EVERYTHING

(if you do that though, I hope you'll release a more serious version too.. seriously i need that cactus texture inside my body)

as for the cobble, not too sure.. I'd suggest checking doku's, eld's, and johnsmith's texture packs for inspiration. they all make pretty good use of shading to give the impression of depth
    As has been said, I feel like all the Cobble needs is a bit of shading and anti-blueizing. If you're really unhappy with it you could try some alternate patterns like this: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CFQQ9QEwCQ or even make it pebbly like this: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 80&bih=612 (That's actually cake icing, but you get the idea.)
    "tombones
    haha I had not considered steampunking the cactus, but come to think of it that would be pretty amazing to have a texture pack with gears, pipes and boilers on EVERYTHING

(if you do that though, I hope you'll release a more serious version too.. seriously i need that cactus texture inside my body)

as for the cobble, not too sure.. I'd suggest checking doku's, eld's, and johnsmith's texture packs for inspiration. they all make pretty good use of shading to give the impression of depth

No, don't worry, at least for this collection I'm trying to focus on the serious side of Steampunk (if that's possible! Lol!).

seriously i need that cactus texture inside my body

Ha ha I really should use this as my sig. :Notch: That's the most hilarious compliment I've ever had passed on my work. Trouble is my kids trawl the forums and I don't want to have to explain why I find that funny. :biggrin.gif:

Thanks for the pointers on doku, eld and johnsmith textures... they really are the best textures beyond a shadow of a doubt. I feel like I've lived forever on their threads since each popped up and I'm very envious on what they've done with cobblestone!

I'll try a few examples and upload pics to get a feel for what people think would best fit the theme.

Thanks for the laugh, tombones. :biggrin.gif:
    Quote from Gazoinks »
    As has been said, I feel like all the Cobble needs is a bit of shading and anti-blueizing. If you're really unhappy with it you could try some alternate patterns like this: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CFQQ9QEwCQ or even make it pebbly like this: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 80&bih=612 (That's actually cake icing, but you get the idea.)

Thanks for those links, Gazoinks. I had already looked at the very same cobblestone textures you linked me to there. I used Google too when i was looking for inspiration.

What I'm after is the image of slimey wet grey blue cobblestone you'd expect to see in Victorian period film, and there's plenty of pics out there, but all the trials I've gone through tesselate terribly and create the most aweful moire patterns. As I said in the intro, I tend to build on a big scale and cobblestone, as I know you'll be aware, looks ghastly stretching into the distance if it's really heavy and bold. So I tried for pale cobbles to compensate, but close up they look too faded and washed out. Also Victorian street cobbles were fairly small and placed in regular rows, which I'm struggling to get to work in Minecraft, especially as they are also used for walls etc.

I shall continue to experiment... :sad.gif:
    Looks nice, almost like an alternate doku's.

The Quick Fix!
    Click the creeper!
    Lovely texture pack, I would love to see how this ends up.
    Glass is meh

The rest is orgasmic
    lolPW
    Beautiful work so far! This is a great idea for a theme, I can't wait to see it all finished. =)
    Quote from Spacepope »
    Glass is meh

The rest is orgasmic

I know glass done this way isn't to everyone's taste, but for me the reasoning is it's the only cheap 'alpha channel' block that can second as victorian cast iron steelwork for all my greenhouses, cranes and railway bridges and still look like ironwork windows.

Glad you like the rest though, and the beauty of the game is that I reckon someone, somewhere down the line is going to produce a mod that allows us all to mix and match what textures we would like to use from a massive online library of textures. That would be the ultimate. We'd always have collections, but this game thrives on individuality, imho.
    One of the nicest sets I've seen on here. Hope you start posting the textures soon!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes