Heres some height maps I yoinked off google then tinkered with to make some nice looking realistic mountain brushes for the external minecraft terrain editing program world painter.
Its also very easy to make or find your own. Use this official tutorial, or try searching "Heightmaps" in google images.
Downloads At Bottom!
Some simple guidelines to follow for making brushes:
-The brush must be square.
- Should be grey-scale.
- Don't bother going above 601 x 601.
- Black means nothing, or no land raised, whereas white is the most raised.
- Keep your gradients even for more realistic effects.
- Finished files to be used in world painter must be .png.
Some good programs for creating/editing brushes are GIMP and/or Photoshop. GIMP is a really good free, opensource alternative to photoshop.
Also, if using an unedited version of google images, make sure it is square, or cut/re-size it to make it square in one of the above programs.
To install your own brushes, follow the same steps as below.
To install these custom brushes:
- Open world painter.
- Select "tools" > "open custom brushes folder"
- Copy and paste the images in the .zip download into the custom brushes folder.
- Relaunch world painter.
- Easy as pie. Mmmmmm Pie.
I love the brushes, they are great for mountains! My only problem is that the 4th brush has straight edges, like the sides were cropped off. This can be solved my smoothing them out, but on large projects that can be annoying. Other than that, I love them!