This is a small Thaumcraft 4 addon I've been working on to add a little "darkness" to Thaumcraft.
Some of the current features include:
Seven new wand cores, five of which add cross-mod interactions
Creative-only wand with infinite vis, for testing or shenanigans
Five new tools
Five new enchantments
A new craftable spawner that actually works without players nearby
Magical scribing tools to help with research
The current focus of development is to add mechanics along two separate themes: Taint and Infernalism. Items will revolve around the use of taint for unscrupulous ends, or channeling the seven deadly sins to rule with the power of the Nether.
- Bugfix: No longer has allergic reactions to Natura
- Bugfix: No longer throws an exception when trying to reflect info from Thaumcraft
- Change: Rapier of the Strix now made from Void Sword
- Change: Warp levels lowered
- Change: Shovel of the Purifier now removes flux goo/gas in an area when right-clicked
- Change: Umbral Roses now spreads from a bush. Actually spreads again.
- Bugfix: KAMI research no longer crashes the client when opened
- Addition: Strix Rapier, for when you're sick of people in Bound Armor picking on you
- Change: Lots and lots of Warp!
- Change: Updated for Minecraft 1.7.10
- Change: Livingwood Wand mana costs lowered
- Bugfix: Mod should no longer crash when fire charge aspects are tampered with
- Change: Witchwood Wands are now purple to match the new look
- Bugfix: Mod now plays nice with newer versions of Thaumic Tinkerer
- Bugfix: Pickaxe of Distortion will mine special blocks at the correct speeds now
- Change: Updated to 1.7.2 thanks to joshie
- Removed: Eldritch, Totemic, and Witchwood Wands are temporarily disabled.
- Bugfix: Totemic Wand Core is now craftable. Way to go, Pokefenn.
- Bugfix: Will no longer throw a NullPointerException when another mod tampers with the recipes for gold armor.
- Change: Witchwood Wand costs less mana.
- Change: Livingwood Wand costs more mana.
- Change: Neutronium Wand is now marked as Creative Only in case the 9001 vis weren't a clue.
- Change: Chinese translation is cleaned up thanks to crafteverywhere
- Change: Umbral Rose growth rate un-nerfed slightly
- Change: Chameleon Tools can now have separate anvil names per mode
- Change: Chameleon Pickaxe with the Eternal enchant can now be used in the Arcane Bore without ever breaking.
- Change: Bloody Scrivener's Tools can now use LP from within the research table. Durability on them drastically decreased for if you run out of LP.
- Addition: Witchwood Staff - Faster and less expensive than the wand
- Addition: Neutronium Staff - In case you wanted a staff instead of a wand. o_O
- Addition: Scribing Tools of Thoth - Another pointless Kami item
- Bugfix: Now uses the Blood Magic API. Is compatible with Blood Magic 1.0.1 and up
- Bugfix: Witchwood Wand no longer causes a crash if used with outdated versions of Ars Magica 2. Wand is still useless without a compatible version of AM2.
- Change: Transcendent Blood Orb and Bloody Scrivener's Tools can now be bound with keys like other Blood Magic items
- Addition: Chinese translation! Courtesy of Mrkwtkr
- Bugfix: Apocrypha tab no longer crashes if Player Beacons is present in non-TC mode.
- Change: Livingwood Wand's proc rate decreased, but will now charge all five aspects at once
- Bugfix: Mod no longer crashes if Thaumic Tinkerer is not present. (People do that? o_O)
- Bugfix: Blood Staff now displays its owner in the tooltip
- Change: Nether Star Block now registered in the Ore Dictionary as "blockNetherStar"
- Bugfix: Missing aspects are finally fixed
- Bugfix: Wrath Cage no longer drops experience when broken
- Change: Superbia removed from Ender Pearls
- Change: Growth rate on Umbral Roses slightly increased
- Change: Blood Rod now requires infusing in a Blood Altar to be used in a wand
- Change: Research difficulties decreased across the mod to be more in line with TC 4.1
- Change: Most enchantments now have support for the Osmotic Enchanter
- Removed: "No New Aspects" config
- Removed: Tainted Arts Tab
- Addition: Lord of Hellfire research
- Addition: Totem Wand, for Totemic compatibility
- Addition: Livingwood Wand and Manasteel Caps, for Botania compatibility
- Addition: Blood Staff, for Blood Magic compatibility
- Addition: Nether Star Block
- Addition: Transcendent Blood Orb, for Kami and Blood Magic compatibility
- Addition: Eternal enchantment, for Kami compatibility
- Bugfix: Now compatible with Blood Magic 0.7.3 and up
- Bugfix: Beds actually have Desidia on them
- Bugfix: Gluttony Shards have aspects now
- Addition: Riding Crops
- Addition: Luxuria aspect added to Leads
- Addition: Crystal Scribing Tools
- Bugfix: Now compatible with Player Beacons 1.2.2
- Bugfix: Wrath Cage no longer throws a NullPointerException when right clicked with an empty crystal
- Change: Growth rate on Umbral Roses nerfed yet again
- Addition: Aspects are now added to several Blood Magic items if both mods are present.
- Change: Research modified to be more in line with TC 4.1's research system.
- Change: Wrath Cages rewritten to work with TC 4.1's new pipe system. Cage now only applies suction to a single essentia type at a time and is cycled by right-clicking with the Diabolist Fork.
- Change: Infernus removed from Soul Sand.
- Change: Consecutive bites of Thaumic Cake no longer cause you to transcend mortal needs.
- Change: Interdisciplinary research is now tagged for both mods.
- Addition: Corrupting Enchant, for getting nether shards in the overworld.
- Addition: Gluttony Shards. Only available through the Corrupting enchant for now.
- Addition: Bloody Scrivener's Tools, for when you just don't want to stop researching.
- Addition: Config to allow the Wrath Cage to accept ANY non-boss mob as an imprint.
- Bugfix: Stopped aspects from Natura logs from leaking all over the rest of the Ore Dictionary. No more angry logs.
- Change: All non-Taint research moved into the "Apocrypha" tab.
- Change: All changes to vanilla TC removed.
- Change: Gula removed from Rotten Flesh.
- Change: Aspects fixed for Alchemical Caps.
- Change: Gula added to Dartcraft bacon.
- Change: Luxuria added to Saddles.
- Change: Invidia added to Comparators.
- Change: Ira added to Fire Charges and Ghast Tears.
- Change: Desidia amount on Beds increased.
- Bugfix: Fixed the NullPointerException when punching mobs
- Bugfix: Mod is now compatible with beta builds of TT. Will now manually check whether Infusion Enchanting has been moved or not.
- Bugfix: Sloth Shards no longer floppy.
- Bugfix: Eldritch Wand now checks whether or not the Player Beacon is actually functioning.
- Change: Tainted research is now moved into a Taint tab. If Thaumic Exploration is present and has a taint tab, will use their tab instead.
- Change: Greedy and Educational enchants no longer compatible
- Change: Emerald Transmutation now has a config to disable it
- Addition: Config to disable all the new aspects. Will also disable the entire Infernalism tree.
- Addition: Witchwood Wand, uses AM2 mana for vis
- Addition: Vinteum, Alchemical, and Ender Caps. Provide discounts for associated cross-mod wands.
- Change: Umbral Roses are nerfed again. The world has been swallowed by darkness.
- Change: Emerald Nuggets and Chameleon Tools now using Dylan4ever's textures.
- Addition: Eldritch Wand, uses Player Beacon to generate vis at the cost of your soul
- Addition: Blood Wand, uses blood to generate vis
- Addition: Educational enchant. Get some learnin'
- Bugfix: Trying to attune Wrath Cages to Ghasts no longer destroys everything you know and love. Thanks, Vazkii.
- Bugfix: Config to disable Greedy enchant actually works
- Bugfix: Wrath Cage appears in creative tab
- Change: Greedy enchant's drop rate is raised
- Change: Sloth Shard drop rate is raised
- Change: Umbral Rose's spread rate is reigned in slightly
- Bugfix: Chameleon Tool research has the correct aspects and the recipes now work
- Bugfix: Mod should no longer throw a NullPointerException when Iguana Tweaks messes with vanilla tool recipes.
- Bugfix: Netherwart now has 1 Infernus instead of 4
- Bugfix/Change: Chameleon Sword can no longer block.
- Change: Sloth Shards were too lazy to even drop. Drop rate increased.
- Change: Umbral Roses now spread more aggressively.
- Change: All Infernalism research has been moved to the Infernalism tab instead of cluttering up Artifice. "Duplicate" research buttons used to indicate prerequisites. As usual, enabling "Don't Be That Guy" in the configs will return the Infernal Furnace and Wand Focus: Nine Hells to their original forms if you don't like the change.
- Change: Now using Flaxbeard's Diabolist Fork and Shovel of the Purifier textures.
- Addition: Fiery Core, Greedy, Consuming, and Porcivore enchantments
- Bugfix: Fixed NullPointerException crash when killing beheadable mobs with bare hands or a FakePlayer
- Change: Switched Pickaxe of Distortion texture with Nieue's
- Change: Changed Tainted Wand texture
- Change: Moved Imprinting Crystals to a separate tab
- Addition: Added some aspects to TT:Kami and Natura
- Addition: Chameleon Tools. They're still a Work In Progress.
v0.1: Released the mod
Downloads are now available on the CurseForge page. Older versions can still be found in this thread.
Install Forge and Thaumcraft 4, and then drop this mod's .jar file into your mods folder.
None that I know of?
I like modpacks. A lot. Like, I can't even remember the last time I played a single mod by itself. I grant blanket permission to use my mod in any modpack, but reserve the right to change my mind.
Keep in mind that my mod requires Thaumcraft to run and I do not have the authority to grant permission for that.
Distribution of Forbidden Magic in binary or source form is subject to the terms of the WTFPL.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: This mod is stopping me from researching Ichor! ಠ_ಠ
A: That's not even a question! And, no, the mod isn't. Forbidden Magic is programmed to load after Thaumic Tinkerer does. The research for FM doesn't even exist during the time TT is scraping the Thaumonomicon to figure out Ichor prereqs. Forbidden Magic research is not, and never has been, a prerequisite for Ichor research. If you're having problems, it's not FM's fault. Take it up with the other mods in your pack or with the TT authors.
Q: What other mods does Forbidden Magic interact with?
A: The following are all the mod interactions:
- Thaumcraft: Kind of required.
- Thaumic Tinkerer: For a few KAMI-related researches
- Blood Magic: There are a few Blood Magic toys that will run off of LP. FM also adds TC aspects to most BM items.
- Botania: There's a wand for converting Botania mana into vis.
- Natura: A few of the sin aspects are added to Natura items.
- Twilight Forest, Witchery: A few mobs have sin aspects added.
Q: Have you thought of Witchery integration?
A: Yes, I have. I love Witchery. It's one of my favorite mods. Witchery Integration has definitely been a thing I've thought about. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't.
Q: What's the deal with the Eldritch Wand?!
A: The Eldritch Wand offers cross-mod compatibility when Player Beacons is installed. When Player Beacons isn't installed, the wand isn't available. If you see a FM wand in NEI and can't figure out how to get it, there's a good chance it's probably a conversion wand for a mod you don't have.
Unless you're playing FM for 1.7. Then it's just disabled for the time being.
Q: Is there world gen?
A: At the moment, no, there is no world gen in this mod. Feel free to drop it in an already existing world.
Warning: There are spoilers in this spoiler.
You sure you want to be spoiled?
Infernus, The Nether : Ignis + Praecantatio
Infernus can be found on Netherrack, Netherwart, Nether Portals, Nether Stars, and most Nether mobs
Ira, Wrath : Ignis + Telum
Ira can be found on TNT, Fire Charges, Ghast Tears, Creepers, Zombie Pigmen, and Angry Zombies
Gula, Gluttony : Fames + Fames
Gula can be found on Cookies, and Cake.
Invidia, Envy : Sensus + Fames
Invidia can be found on Eyes of Ender, Comparators, and Endermen.
Desidia, Sloth : Vinculum + Spiritus
Desidia can be found on Beds and Ocelots.
Superbia, Pride : Volatus + Vacuos
Superbia can be found on Ender Pearls, Gold Armor, Gold Swords, Nether Stars, and Endermen.
Luxuria, Lust : Corpus + Fames
Luxuria can be found on Saddles, Leads, Riding Crops, Taintacles, and Twilight Forest bunnies.
Wrath Shards drop from killing hostile mobs in the Nether. Using a more powerful sword or enchants such as Sharpness or Smite increase the drop chance.
Sloth Shards drop from mobs killed in the Nether by anything other than a player. Dropping mobs off a cliff, or grinding them with a "Fake Player" such as a Turtle or Dynamism Tablet causes them to drop.
Envy Shards can be seen carried by Zombie Pigmen sometimes. Killing the zombie pigman yourself while in the Nether causes the shard to drop.
Pride Shards drop when a boss is killed in the Nether. This can be the Wither, or any boss added by another mod that has the standard boss health bar, as long as it is in the Nether.
Lust Shards have a chance of dropping whenever you flog a mob with a Riding Crop. You don't need to kill the mob. The chance is per-hit.
Greed and Gluttony are not implemented currently. The only way to get them is by using the Corrupting enchant on a pickaxe and mining infused stone.
Research: (Old Info)
Emerald Transmutation: Vitreus, Lucrum, Permutatio
Umbral Rose: Tenebrae, Herba, Sensus
Axe of the Skulltaker: Telum, Ira, Infernus
Thaumic Cake: Gula, Fames, Fabrico
Chameleon Tools: Instrumentum, Invidia, Permutatio
Wrath Cage: Ira, Machina, Bestia
Shovel of the Purifier: Vitreus, Vitium, Instrumentum
Pickaxe of Distortion: Instrumentum, Vitium, Perditio
Infernal Wand Core: Infernus, Ignis, Instrumentum
Tainted Wand Core: Praecantatio, Vitium, Instrumentum
Witchwood Wand Core: Praecantatio, Arbor, Instrumentum
Bloody Wand Core: Victus, Aqua, Telum
Eldritch Wand Core: Alienis, Spiritus, Instrumentum
Azanor, for creating Thaumcraft 4 Vazkii, Killajoke, and LycaonX for their help creating this mod
Othlon, for the Diabolist Fork and Shovel of the Purifier textures Dylan4ever for the Emerald Nugget, Chameleon Tools, and Bound Shears textures Kihira for making Player Beacons WayOfTime for making Blood Magic, and Pokefenn for assisting with the Blood Wand Mithion for making Ars Magica 2
Succubism, for creating the cheat sheet that helped me through many hours of TC4 and inspired the creation of this mod
Nieue, for his Pickaxe of Distortion texture
zamboze, for the texture used in the Apocrypha tab
crafteverywhere, for the Chinese translation joshie for helping update to 1.7.2
After looking at the mod for a little while I'd like to make some suggestions:
1. Could you please move a few things. Thaumic Exploration + Thaumic Tinkerer + This Mod = Lots of Crossing over things.
2. I would suggest better textures for: Pickaxe of Distortion (Only because of the Handle, It's just very akward looking without an equally akward looking top)), Shovel of the Purifier (You and me both know its just a recolor with very little changes)(Note: With spriting I can help if you want me too, I'm a very good sprite artist and I don't want anything in return other than you keep working on the mod ).
3. I'd like it if you connected the Emerald Shard recipe to the main transmutation research instead of onto gold since it feels very out of place otherwise.
How I feel the Placements of current things should be like:
Please take all of this as Constructive Criticism as it was ment to be taken that way. I will most likely be looking at this topic fairly often.
Edit 2: I would also like to ask how to I get Gula?
Edit 3: I've been killing lots of stuff in the nether and have only gotten only a few Envy and alot of Wrath Shards but nothing else. I've killed every kind of mob many times am I doing something wrong? I currently assume all nether mobs can have Envy Shards?, Wrath Shards are from Killing Mobs, Taint Shards are from Tainted Mobs?, Pride Shards are from Ghasts?, Lust Shards can spawn when Mobs mate in the Nether?, Greed Shards I would appear when a mob picks up a players Items?, Sloth shards are from Ghasts?
Nice, been waiting on this for a while. nowtoeditthewebsitetoallowforthistoo
Private Mod Note
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
I make mods. Check out my website or Twitter. If you like my mods consider supporting me on Patreon. I take commissions too! Want a mod made? Check out my page. If refering to me, the correct pronoun would be she. You can find me on IRC @ #vazkii on irc.esper.net
I'm inclined to say that the shape could stand to be a bit more irregular as well, as thought the infusion of taint were actually physically warping the materials, but that's just me.
What do you mean exactly with irregular, like not simmetrical? So one side of the pickaxe looks differently from the other one?
Edit: HUZZA! On first page + First on second page [Achievement Get: BEING A FIRST PERSON] #notproud