Better Foliage

Better Foliage

(*) objects in screenshot may appear prettier than on your screen

About

Better Foliage is my re-implementation of some features of one of my favourite 1.6.4 mods: Better Grass & Leaves, that was sadly discontinued after 1.7.2 came along. It makes your plant life a bit more verdant and fluffy by drawing some extra stuff on trees, grass blocks, cacti, lilypads. Also adds reeds and algae in water.

Videos
    Trailer by TheTeaSpoon
    Some very nice scenery with SEUS shaders
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBCiybR7X1o

Mod spotlight by TheTeaSpoon
    With SEUS shaders. Warning: contains sillyness :)
    http://youtu.be/cgrdpJcyJB0

Mod spotlight by asianhalfsquat
    Some footage both with and without SEUS shaders
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-FaW0esP50

Mod spotlight by KibitznCaptain
    Craziness with SEUS shaders
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ8Ru7QgPLE&list=UU7OYcQYPZ0egASLhtyDVY_A

Usage

The mod is client only, although it will not crash your server if you add it accidentally.

Extra leaves will be rendered for each leaf block that has at least one side touching an air block. Grass will be rendered for grass blocks with an air block above them.

There is a config GUI, opened by pressing F8 (configurable), or using the config button after selecting it in your mod list. Here you can set rendering options for grass and leaves.

• On/Off: self-explanatory
    • Size: size of the extra polygons, relative to block diameter
    • Offset: how much off-center the polygons should be (relative to diameter), to break up the regularity. Separate horizontal and vertical value for leaves. Only flowers are displaced for lilypads
    • Offset mode: leaves only. In Translate mode, round leaves will be moved off-center, but have a perfect 45° angle. In Skew mode, leaves will stay centered, but the corners will be dragged around.
    • Height: for grass and reeds only, minimum and maximum values
    • Flower Chance: how many lilypads out of 64 should have a flower on them
    • Reeds/Algae Chance: how many suitable blocks out of 64 should have reeds/algae (approximate)
    That's it. The defaults give quite nice results, but you are welcome to experiment.

There's some minor inconvenience with short grass: because mipmaps and transparency are not good friends, the grass looks darker than it should at a distance, and large flat patches of grass look a bit weird. If you have the horsepower for it, turn off mipmaps and crank up anisotropic filtering in the video settings.

Compatibility

Works fine with the Shader Mod and Optifine. Although you might want to turn off the short grass with shaderpacks using cast shadows: because of the shadow map resolution the grass looks like it is floating slightly above the block (it doesn't).

It also tweaks the block IDs seen by shader programs, so that all leaf blocks are treated as vanilla leaves, and all grassy things (flower, crops, sugarcanes, etc.) as tall grass. This will make them wave in the wind (with shaders that have this feature) without having to manually edit the shaderpacks. BetterFoliage's short grass and reeds will also have wind effects applied.

This feature is configurable: the config files classesCrops.cfg and classesLeaves.cfg hold the list of block classes that will act as leaves or tall grass. Lines beginning with a "-" are blacklist entries.

Double height plants (sunflowers and reeds) are enabled by default. They can look a bit weird if there is a mismatch in the shader's noise field between the two blocks at the boundary. If you find the effect annoys you, just remove or blacklist these entries in the config.

Textures

The mod does not need textures supplied for the crossed leaf polygons for each and every leaf type, as it will generate them on the fly, making it very easy to use: it will (should) support every mod and texture pack automagically.

However, some mods have leaf blocks that are not derived from vanilla leaves, or their own way of registering textures. If you find a mod that has incompatible leaves, let me know, and I'll fix it!

Confirmed to support leaves from: Vanilla, BOP, Natura, Forestry and Thaumcraft.

It's also possible to supply leaf textures by resource pack. To create packs, the mapping you need to use is: the leaf at assets/MOD/textures/blocks/path/to/texture.png has its round texture at assets/betterfoliage/textures/blocks/MOD/path/to/texture.png

For all other features besides leaves, the mod relies on Better Grass & Leaves, using that mod as a resource pack, this means resourcepacks made for that mod can be used. (see the installation section)

License

You may use Better Foliage in any public or private modpacks without any limitation. If you use it in your pack, a link to this topic or my GitHub page would be much appreciated.

The source code of Better Foliage is provided under the MIT License. The following additional limitations apply to the redistribution of the binaries linked in this post:

You may not redistribute Better Foliage behind a monetized link, whether standalone or as part of a modpack.

You may not publicly redistribute Better Foliage standalone, or hotlink to the underlying files. Use the provided goo.gl redirector link, or simply link to this topic.

Bear in mind that Better Grass & Leaves for 1.6.4 is required at the moment for the full experience, and that one may not be redistributed as part of a pack. I'm working on removing this dependency.

Changelog
    0.9.8-beta
    • actually fixed deadlock bug with WorldEditWrapper
    • added coral
    • added snow on short grass
    • new feature: generate short grass texture
    0.9.7-beta
    • fixed deadlock bug with WorldEditWrapper
    • fixed mixed-up wind effects
    • fixed issue with normal/specular maps and POM
    0.9.6-beta
    • unified 1.7.2 and 1.7.10 versions
    • add ShadersMod wind effects to short grass and reeds
    • support for Plant Mega Pack and Pam's HarvestCraft plants
    0.9.5-beta
    • added algae
    • new feature: allow hand-drawn leaf textures
    • various bugfixes
    0.9.4-beta
    • added reeds
    • broken up config file and GUI by feature
    • up to 16 texture variations for non-leaves
    0.9.3-beta
    • new feature: Shader Mod block ID masquerade
    • first 1.7.10 release
    0.9.2-beta
    • added cactus and lilypads
    • moved to using original BG&L for textures
    0.9.1-beta
    • bugfix release
    0.9-beta
    • initial release

Installation

1. Copy Better Foliage in the mods folder of your installation
        2. Copy Better Grass and LeavesMod (for 1.6.4) in the resourcepacks folder of your installation. Yes, the mod itself will act as your resourcepack.
        3. Rename Better Grass and Leaves to change its extension to .zip
    After you start the game, make sure to activate the Better Grass and Leaves resource pack. Without this, only better leaves will work!

Download

BetterFoliage-0.9.8b (for MC 1.7.2 & 1.7.10, Forge required)

Better Grass and Leaves (for MC 1.6.4) has its own topic

Help Out

The grass and leaf mask textures at the moment are... adequate at best, and I couldn't draw my way out of a box if my life depended on it. Poersch's textures for the original BG&L look much better, but I can't use and distribute them for obvious reasons, that's why installation is a bit convoluted. If you have experience in pixel art, I need your help to make Better Foliage look even better!

Bug Reports

Head to my Github project page.

As always, keep the comments rolling!
    Last edited by OctarineNoise: 7/28/2014 3:09:02 PM
    Check out my stuff:
    CartLivery (1.6.4, 1.7.2)
    BetterFoliage (1.7.2, 1.7.10)
    Oh my.
    Take a moment to embrace this.
    Last edited by TheAceMinecraft: 7/28/2014 4:36:07 PM

Check out Xickle's server!

WOW!
    Thank you for this and keep up the good work!
    DivineRPG Official Modeler
    Check out my art!!
    http://blueeyes9.deviantart.com/
    Sweet, a fine replacement for Better grass and leaves. Would love to see kelp / some of the other features from BGL aswell. Keep up the great work :D
    Sh**.. i can't download that link... the download part is BROKEN!! :(
    OMG YESSS!!! YOU SIR ARE AMAZING!!!!!! <3 <3
    For some reason when I use jolicraft resource pack I get white grass, In other area's it's green, Is this a bug?It also happens when I use any other texture pack
    thx for doing this!!

This mod literally made my day!
    Is it self dependant?
    No forge?
    Did I miss it?
    Quote from Wolf1557
    For some reason when I use jolicraft resource pack I get white grass, In other area's it's green, Is this a bug?

Yep, bug. Biome colors are not applied to the grass.

What version of Forge are you using? Fast or Fancy graphics? What is your Smooth Lighting setting? Does this happen with any resource pack, and work fine without packs?

Quote from GabrielSv
    Is it self dependant?
    No forge?
    Did I miss it?

Forge is required. The topic is tagged as such, but I should have made it more obvious in the OP.
    Check out my stuff:
    That mod is excellent.. but i didn't know its a beta.. so i only wondered how long until it will be completed.. :) btw my 2 friend liked the leaves.. so do I.. its very nice and round! :)
    Thanks for continuing it (kinda).
    Are you planning on adding the other visual features and options?

You could also ask him for permission to officially continue the mod btw:
    4. DERIVATIVE WORKS/MODIFICATION
    This mod is provided freely and may be decompiled and modified for private use, either with a decompiler or a bytecode editor. Public distribution of modified versions of this MOD require advance written permission of the OWNER and may be subject to certain terms.
    Quote from IHaTeD2

Thanks for continuing it (kinda).
    Are you planning on adding the other visual features and options?

You could also ask him for permission to officially continue the mod btw:

I checked out the licence too, mainly because of the textures. No luck there, I can't use them without explicit permission, and Poersch seems well and truly disappeared.

If by "officially continue" you mean taking BG&L and just straight up porting it to 1.7.2, I have no desire to do that at all (would have been way more work than rewriting from scratch). Better Foliage is more like a spiritual successor, that walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, but is actually... well, a completely new duck altogether :) .

As for the plans.

I will implement: cactus, mycelium, coral.
    I will probably implement: falling leaf particles, short grass on ledges.
    I won't implement: footprints, blood particles, swaying grass, reeds.
    Check out my stuff:
    Quote from octarine-noise

As for the plans.

I will implement: cactus, mycelium, coral.
    I will probably implement: falling leaf particles, short grass on ledges.
    I won't implement: footprints, blood particles, swaying grass, reeds.

*sniff* noo... the footprints, blood particles, swaying grass and reeds were my favorite additions! Why won't you do them? Are they too hard? Personal taste? Can your opinion be altered?

And be the way: you said that you can't use Poersche's textures for obvious reasons. But the guy completely abandoned this mod and I think there's no problem in making an exact copy, but for 1.7.2! Like the guy cares about that, he probably never even plays MC anymore. He hasn't been active for half a year.

Too bad, this crashes like so:

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----

// Why did you do that?

Time: 6/26/14 3:52 PM
    Description: Unexpected error

java.lang.NullPointerException: Unexpected error
    at mods.betterfoliage.client.render.RenderBlockBetterLeaves.renderWorldBlock(RenderBlockBetterLeaves.java:49)
    at cpw.mods.fml.client.registry.RenderingRegistry.renderWorldBlock(RenderingRegistry.java:118)
    at net.minecraft.src.FMLRenderAccessLibrary.renderWorldBlock(FMLRenderAccessLibrary.java:53)
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.RenderBlocks.func_147805_b(RenderBlocks.java:293)
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.WorldRenderer.func_147892_a(WorldRenderer.java:181)
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.RenderGlobal.func_72716_a(RenderGlobal.java:1522)
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.EntityRenderer.func_78471_a(EntityRenderer.java:1178)
    at net.minecraft.client.renderer.EntityRenderer.func_78480_b(EntityRenderer.java:1011)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71411_J(Minecraft.java:944)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:835)
    at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:103)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:134)
    at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.multimc.onesix.OneSixLauncher.launch(OneSixLauncher.java:214)
    at org.multimc.EntryPoint.listen(EntryPoint.java:165)
    at org.multimc.EntryPoint.main(EntryPoint.java:54)

1.7.2 forge 10.12.2.1121
    Yup, the falling leaf particles and reeds were so good. :/

@g_BonE: You tried updating Forge?
    The latest build is 1147.
    I don't like the reeds, because I think something that is 2 blocks high should not be a ghost, that's confusing. Rendering a bit of green stubble on grass blocks is one thing, but reeds should be a true block, with worldgen and everything.

I find swaying grass not to be worth the effort. Plus, a good shaderpack with GLSL shader mod does it a whole lot better. (yes, I know, but there are shaderpacks which are very easy on the GPU)

Stuff like footprints, blood, etc. don't have much to do with leaves, that should go to its own mod. The falling leaf particles however I like a lot, that's on the TODO list.

Quote from g_BonE

Too bad, this crashes like so:
    [...]
    1.7.2 forge 10.12.2.1121

I thought that would never happen. Guess I was wrong. Probably you have a block that derives from vanilla leaves, but uses neither rendertype 0 (standard block) nor its own renderer; probably one of the built-ins like vines, crops, cactus or whatever.

I'll take a look into it. Could you post your mod list in the meantime? I wonder where it comes from.
    Check out my stuff:
    What's with the lily pads then?
    Wasn't there randomly flowers on top of some of and roots under them to make them a bit more interesting?
    Quote from octarine-noise

I don't like the reeds, because I think something that is 2 blocks high should not be a ghost, that's confusing. Rendering a bit of green stubble on grass blocks is one thing, but reeds should be a true block, with worldgen and everything.

I find swaying grass not to be worth the effort. Plus, a good shaderpack with GLSL shader mod does it a whole lot better. (yes, I know, but there are shaderpacks which are very easy on the GPU)

Stuff like footprints, blood, etc. don't have much to do with leaves, that should go to its own mod. The falling leaf particles however I like a lot, that's on the TODO list.

I thought with swaying grass, you meant that when you walked in plants, they kinda swayed to the side like they did in BG&L. Also, the footprints were only in snow and sand I believe, and I have no idea how hard that is to mod (literally no idea) but that is just a neat little feature that we all loved from the original.

On a sidenote, I love you so much for reviving this! I can't wait untill the full release!

I'm using forge 10.12.2.1130, I'm also using fancy graphics and max smooth lighting, And it doesn't do it for the default resource pack.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes