Ars Magica 2 - Version 1.2.0.021 (Updated July 19)

Quote from Eruantien
    -snip-

Your problem is that your spell had 3 elements to it (1 shape and 2 components), while the most basic crafting altar you can build can only process spells with 2. Hence the earth-shattering kaboom. An easy fix to this is to use lapis lazuli blocks instead of glass, which allow +5 elements instead of +1 and should be fairly easy to get (especially with a fortune 3 pickaxe). A wooden plank/lapis block altar will allow for up to 6 elements in a spell, and once you upgrade from wood to nether brick (simple once you find a fortress) that gets bumped up to 8, which should be perfectly sufficient (spells with more than 8 elements tend to cost more mana than you actually have).
    Quote from Eruantien
    What did I do wrong? Now, my crafting altar has been torn (literally) to nothingness - no items were returned to me, either.
    Is this what comes of messing with the occult?!

At a guess, you tried to craft a spell with three properties on an Altar only sufficient to craft two-trait spells. The Arcane Compendium sets forth what the different components will allow.
    Quote from PhoenixUltima
    ... Hence the earth-shattering kaboom ...

I didn't do it. (Earth is not currently obstructing my view of Venus.)

While I'm here... anyone know what's up with the third-tier mana potions (the one above Lesser and Standard), which the Compendium says you must create on a Brewing Stand? I've followed the instructions but I'm unable to make one, and I'm starting to really hurt for mana :)

On another note: Mythion, have you considered a renewable method for accumulating Blue Orchids and Desert Novas? Otherwise, may I plead with you to reconsider the recipes for mana potions? I can't imagine ever using a fairly rare, non-renewable resource on a consumable that's only good for a few casts. Vinteum Dust is one thing, since it's rather abundant, but my bad luck finding desert biomes has made the Desert Nova more valuable to me than Gold and Ender Pearls.

I like the idea of using the Brewing Stand---vanilla item gets no love---and it has the advantage of giving you three potions for the price of one ingredient. Perhaps any Ars Magica flower could be used to brew the lesser mana potions at a brewing stand (Aum, Blue Orchid, Desert Nova or Wakebloom), with Blue Topaz up through Sunstone augmenting them to higher versions?

(Also, with the recent uber-rarity of Moonstone, I think that deserves to be the new top-tier ore, if it isn't already---I've only found a single piece after dozens of hours playing since the release of v.1.0.2, and I swear I heard angels when I did.)
    Last edited by Eunomiac: 11/5/2013 12:36:14 PM
    Amateur dinosaur hunter and extreme weather enthusiast, whose interests include spoken mime, armchair parkour, tactical gaslighting (for fun or for pay), conspicuous ninjutsu and Schröedinger's pentameter—of which this sentence may or may not be an example.​
    Quote from Eunomiac

I didn't do it. (Earth is not currently obstructing my view of Venus.)

While I'm here... anyone know what's up with the third-tier mana potions (the one above Lesser and Standard), which the Compendium says you must create on a Brewing Stand? I've followed the instructions but I'm unable to make one, and I'm starting to really hurt for mana :)

On another note: Mythion, have you considered a renewable method for accumulating Blue Orchids and Desert Novas? Otherwise, may I plead with you to reconsider the recipes for mana potions? I can't imagine ever using a fairly rare, non-renewable resource on a consumable that's only good for a few casts. Vinteum Dust is one thing, since it's rather abundant, but my bad luck finding desert biomes has made the Desert Nova more valuable to me than Gold and Ender Pearls.

I like the idea of using the Brewing Stand---vanilla item gets no love---and it has the advantage of giving you three potions for the price of one ingredient. Perhaps any Ars Magica flower could be used to brew the lesser mana potions at a brewing stand (Aum, Blue Orchid, Desert Nova or Wakebloom), with Blue Topaz up through Sunstone augmenting them to higher versions?

(Also, with the recent uber-rarity of Moonstone, I think that deserves to be the new top-tier ore, if it isn't already---I've only found a single piece after dozens of hours playing since the release of v.1.0.2, and I swear I heard angels when I did.)

As far as moonstone goes, one night there was discussion about creating a multi-block structure of some kind that attracted moonstone towards it, causing it to fall more often.

Would be cool if we could get moonstone from the moon though.
    Ya perhaps mith could make some kind of multi block structure that attracts a meteorite and destroys the structure and the more you do it the greater chance you have of destroying the entire moon

The knowledge of the arcane runs deep within my veins
    I'm having a problem with topaz blocks dropping moonstones, as well as swappage with sunstone, and chimerite. There is nowhere I can change id's for those, and there isnt any splash of conflicting id's. Any ideas?
    Looking for mods? Check out the
    at times in the night i hear something go boom. and it scares the crap out of me, but when i find the cause i only find moon type blocks and when i brake them a moon type crystal comes out the broke block. What the heck is it and what causes it? O_o
    Quote from Thunderlord2200

at times in the night i hear something go boom. and it scares the crap out of me, but when i find the cause i only find moon type blocks and when i brake them a moon type crystal comes out the broke block. What the heck is it and what causes it? O_o

Just meteors, nothing to be afraid of. And what you get is a resource to build crafting altars.
    <- Click me!
    Where do i post a crash report? I did something with the wrench that crashed me and corrupted my world and i have no idea where to paste the crash report....

P.S. I have no idea how ot use GitHub :(

Edit:-
    I figured out how to solve the problem for now, nevermind...
    Last edited by Myza27: 11/6/2013 3:43:59 AM
    Mith,
    Can you add some kind of dragon or something as a tamable pet instead of something you summon with a spell

Hey I was playing ThaumCraft and Ars Magica 2 together and i was wondering if it might be possabile to add an Vis reduction that is activated by the presents of thaumcraft to the mage armor. It makes sense that magical clothing that gives a mana discount would give a Vis discount since they are both magic and would increase mod compatibility. If not a change to your armor than an enchant that gives a discount. thank you
    Hey mition one question when i flip the lever and i have essence sources etc for the crafting alter it flips back to the neutral position?
    Vis reduction is a good idea. I have a list of all the Thaumcraft aspects I am going to add to AM2's items and blocks, thanks to SoundLogic. I'll be starting on that soon. The initial integration is going to be very basic, however. Aspects on items and a couple of other little things.

Hey mition one question when i flip the lever and i have essence sources etc for the crafting alter it flips back to the neutral position?

This can happen under 3 conditions:
    1. You aren't connecting the right TYPE of essence (check the recipe book for the specific type)
    2. Your essence source doesn't have enough essence in it (use a magitech's staff to check)
    3. You have a source nearby, but they are not paired. (check the compendium entry for crystal wrench)
    Thanks Mithion
    Speaking of thaumic compatibility, mith,
    Can you make something so that you regenerate from thaumic aura nodes and I don't mean just any. Let's say you have an affinity to fire, when you are near a fire node or the fire essentia you regen mana faster. So if you have a fire node in a jar in your inventory you would have super fast mana regen but if you have fire essentia in you inventory then you regen slower then with a node in a jar but faster then normal. But if you are next to a pure node (within a 10 block radius) then (no matter what affinity you are) you regen faster then with a node in a jar. Plus can you and azanar literally work together on adding things instead of just compatibility. And I mean make it like "one can't stand without the other" compatibility like modular power armour and industrial craft or something. Plus can you and machine muse work together and copmatibilityify am2 and modular power suits+modular force fields that would be awesome to have the same armour as everyone else but it is powered by magic and has the Mage armour in it

Hi mithion, i had constated that witchwood trees don't spread any sapling when harvested !
    Can you have a look to this ?

Quote from gatekeeper258

I'm having a problem with topaz blocks dropping moonstones, as well as swappage with sunstone, and chimerite. There is nowhere I can change id's for those, and there isnt any splash of conflicting id's. Any ideas?

Sigh. You have no problem at all. The blocks are not meant to be looked at with NEI tooltips/Walia (I hate both tooltip parts, quite frankly. They are prone to messing with other mods stuff, especially Thaumcraft's Great and Silver woods), and what you are seeing is the fact that they had their names mixed up for some reason or another. The ores are dropping what they should drop. Blue Topaz (found very deep underground) drops the topaz, Moonstone is a very rare spawn at night that you find on the surface. Chimerite is a common ore found from about Y 20 to Y 50 or so. Sunstone is a very rare ore that spawns in lava, both on the surface world (abite rarely) and in the Nether (much more commonly).

Also, Mithion, on the topic of Sunstone, would you mind giving it a Nether specific texture? It looks weird to see overworld stone in the Nether, when that is where it is the most common. It would make more sense for it to have a Nether-ish texture in the overworld than a normal stone texture in the Nether, that's for sure.
    Warning : This user is prone to doing sporadic edits of recent comments to further expand upon old ideas. This is a very common thing especially right after posting. Keep this in mind when talking to me over these forums.
    I run a small magic focused private server. If you are interested in joining us, click the banner below to find out more.
    Quote from Steelflame

Also, Mithion, on the topic of Sunstone, would you mind giving it a Nether specific texture? It looks weird to see overworld stone in the Nether, when that is where it is the most common. It would make more sense for it to have a Nether-ish texture in the overworld than a normal stone texture in the Nether, that's for sure.

Another possible solution would be to give it a more obsidian-like texture so that it would not that out of place in the overworld.
    So... about those mana potions. Anyone able to make those mana potions on a Brewing Stand, as described in the Compendium?
    Amateur dinosaur hunter and extreme weather enthusiast, whose interests include spoken mime, armchair parkour, tactical gaslighting (for fun or for pay), conspicuous ninjutsu and Schröedinger's pentameter—of which this sentence may or may not be an example.​
    Quote from PhoenixUltima
    Your problem is that your spell had 3 elements to it (1 shape and 2 components), while the most basic crafting altar you can build can only process spells with 2. Hence the earth-shattering kaboom. An easy fix to this is to use lapis lazuli blocks instead of glass, which allow +5 elements instead of +1 and should be fairly easy to get (especially with a fortune 3 pickaxe). A wooden plank/lapis block altar will allow for up to 6 elements in a spell, and once you upgrade from wood to nether brick (simple once you find a fortress) that gets bumped up to 8, which should be perfectly sufficient (spells with more than 8 elements tend to cost more mana than you actually have).
    Quote from Achehrrahn
    At a guess, you tried to craft a spell with three properties on an Altar only sufficient to craft two-trait spells. The Arcane Compendium sets forth what the different components will allow.
    Well, I had kind of suspected this. But, the compendium is unclear in the crafting altar structure section what a "modifier" is. I thought previously that a modifier was anything that goes beyond the basic 3-component spell crafting... now I see that's false. Oh, well... so then why can you build a wooden and glass altar anyway?

Also, I can't craft witchwood stairs, or else i would have used them to build a witchwood altar. I looked at the recipe in NEI and put the planks in in various ways, and even tried shift-clicking "?", but nothing works.

Finally, the text in the compendium appears smooshed together, and doesn't come up with the fancy script. I have the fancy script enabled in the config (e.g. I haven't messed with that setting); do I have to enable "Use Custom Fonts" in Optifine's settings menu?

Now, to get back to that fireball spell...

Quote from Eunomiac

So... about those mana potions. Anyone able to make those mana potions on a Brewing Stand, as described in the Compendium?
    NEI's recipes don't show how to. Perhaps you have to get to a certain magic level first? Just survive with Mana cakes until then...
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes