1.7.10 SMP SSP

The Lord of the Rings Mod: Bringing Middle-earth to Minecraft - Public Beta 18.2

That's a good question, Mevans.

I think you've got a good mixture of biomes so far.

I think ideally you should have a Trollshaws biome for the trolls, and perhaps that could be a suitable location for Rivendell (sort of like the Gondor Mountains sub-biome).

I'd like to see a Mirkwood biome. Giant spiders please!

Possibly an Angband biome with ruined dungeons of Melkor, but that might be a little too early for the timeframe the Lord of the Rings mod is set in.

Something that might be interesting is an ocean biome, with a very rare Valinor biome.

I'd also love to see a rare Ringwraith mob appear at night in the Shire biome...
    Last edited by Varka: 5/6/2013 9:23:08 AM
    why are there iron bars in the tower of isengard? the tower of isengard doesn't have iron bars
    Quote from gameguy13

why are there iron bars in the tower of isengard? the tower of isengard doesn't have iron bars

He has not added isengard yet you must be talking about the mordor tower
    I think that trolls should spawn very rarely in Mordor itself. But maybe in a radious of like 20 blocks around the Orc fortresses/towers the spawn rate should be bigger but keep the mob cap low (at like 5-10 max) so you don't get swarmed by huge trolls. When you add The Mordor city itself ( with giant walls and the black gate) there should be a bigger spawn rate near the gate and some trolls should be even bigger so it feels like those are the ones that open the black gate.
    What's planned for the next update?
    Hi Mevans,
    Now that Morgul Crafting Tables generate naturally, will they require to be crafted on one? You could simplify the recipe a little so it's 2 x 2 and matches all the other crafting tables you have added and the original. Perhaps you could also have a 'Planned Features' page on the wiki, but I guess this will need to be updated regulary... Anyway, perhaps you could also add Orc Forges, those pits with the lava (?) in them, where the Orcs make their tools.

Quote from Varka

That's a good question, Mevans.

I think you've got a good mixture of biomes so far.

I think ideally you should have a Trollshaws biome for the trolls, and perhaps that could be a suitable location for Rivendell (sort of like the Gondor Mountains sub-biome).

I'd like to see a Mirkwood biome. Giant spiders please!

Possibly an Angband biome with ruined dungeons of Melkor, but that might be a little too early for the timeframe the Lord of the Rings mod is set in.

Something that might be interesting is an ocean biome, with a very rare Valinor biome.

I'd also love to see a rare Ringwraith mob appear at night in the Shire biome...

Probably the Trollshaws would be the best as I s'pose it was named after Trolls... I agree, Mirkwood would be some fun to explore but as the main aligned people in there are the Elves, I doubt we will see it in Beta 6 as I believe Mevans whats make this the 'Evil Update' after this month's 'Dwarven Update' added so much content for the good side. Valinor is the home of the Elves, isn't it? If so, I like the idea... But as it was never in the movies or any books (that I know of) it may break a little of the mystery and awe of the place, but ask Mevans on that. After all, he is the Mod author... The Shire and Lorien biomes I believe are supposed to be kept 'free' from the forces of evil. It would kind of be like spawning Gandalf in Mordor and watching all the Orcs get their butts kicked (can't wait for Gandalf now... Also, if this is the Evil Update, don't they need some boss butt to kick?)

Quote from Horus_3

As I said, Beta 6 will be the Evil Update... New biomes such as The Dead Marshes possibly Trollshaws, maybe Trolls, the big Orcs (yes, I know they have a name), Goblins, at least two new armor sets for the Evil side, possibly leading armies and anything else Mevan divides to add before the 1st of June...
    Last edited by Rayquaza3: 5/7/2013 1:19:21 AM
    Quote from Mevans

Having finished the Dead Marshes now, I have a list of some other things that I want to add for this update. Uruk-hai are on there, and also Orc camps, some kind of Mordor food, Goblins in the Misty Mountains, and a Unit Hiring game mechanic. I'm sure two relatively simple new biomes could fit in among these.

Some questions/suggestions for this
    Where will Uruk hai live? Isengard?
    For that Mordor food, there should be a very large lake (cant remember the name, so for now we call it lake X) because in the books is written that all the food was made by slaves around lake X and then brought to the orc camps. (Or something like that.) it would be cool ifyou could add something similair.
    Will unit hiring be with silver coins?
    That's all what came up

MevansLOTRmodFAN

I could help you create some sort of seed guide as I seem to be the main user for this... It could help new players find their favorite biome to start in or just have some pretty cool stuff... Lemme know your thoughts on this!
    Quote from Rayquaza3

Probably the Trollshaws would be the best as I s'pose it was named after Trolls... I agree, Mirkwood would be some fun to explore but as the main aligned people in there are the Elves, I doubt we will see it in Beta 6 as I believe Mevans whats make this the 'Evil Update' after this month's 'Dwarven Update' added so much content for the good side. Valinor is the home of the Elves, isn't it? If so, I like the idea... But as it was never in the movies or any books (that I know of) it may break a little of the mystery and awe of the place, but ask Mevans on that. After all, he is the Mod author... The Shire and Lorien biomes I believe are supposed to be kept 'free' from the forces of evil. It would kind of be like spawning Gandalf in Mordor and watching all the Orcs get their butts kicked (can't wait for Gandalf now... Also, if this is the Evil Update, don't they need some boss butt to kick?)

The shire did have at least ONE ringwraith, remember...

And Mirkwood ought to be chock FULL of bad guys, between the spiders and Dol Guldur.
    I think the trollshaws shouldn't be the biome for trolls, Becuase there were only three willing to go that far (east? Not sure which direction it was). The only other place trolls would be was inside the misty mountains in mordor or I thing is engage had some trolls. Out of these choices I thing you should spawn trolls in the misty mountains.

A new biome you should add is Harad. With the , a new set of weapons, armor, a crafting table, and haradrim villages

For the uruk-hia, there should be small camps (like the ones in mordor) in Rohan showing the saraman is at work there.
    Last edited by Saraman: 5/7/2013 6:41:19 AM
    Wow, really cool mod. I look forward to future versions.
    I saw in the mojang website that there are gonna be more texture changes. Lets hope it is not like the 1.5 change. That was a pain on everyones neck
    Quote from Rayquaza3

Hi Mevans,
    Now that Morgul Crafting Tables generate naturally, will they require to be crafted on one? You could simplify the recipe a little so it's 2 x 2 and matches all the other crafting tables you have added and the original. Perhaps you could also have a 'Planned Features' page on the wiki, but I guess this will need to be updated regulary... Anyway, perhaps you could also add Orc Forges, those pits with the lava (?) in them, where the Orcs make their tools.

As I said, Beta 6 will be the Evil Update... New biomes such as The Dead Marshes possibly Trollshaws, maybe Trolls, the big Orcs (yes, I know they have a name), Goblins, at least two new armor sets for the Evil side, possibly leading armies and anything else Mevan divides to add before the 1st of June...

Good point about the crafting tables, I think I shall add this in. A simple recipe of two planks above two Mordor rock should be fine. Orc forges would be a nice idea, but I don't believe they're that important at the moment as it would be quite a lot of work for quite a little feature. So maybe in the future.

Valinor is actually described in detail in The Silmarillion, so I've been thinking about possibly adding it in as a new realm that good players can sail to after completing the main quest. (There would have to be an equivalent reward for evil players.) But that's definitely not coming any time soon.

As for features in the Evil Update, that's the general list of things I'd like to add, but it may well change as time goes on and I won't be adding only evil content.

Quote from MevansLOTRmodFan

Some questions/suggestions for this
    Where will Uruk hai live? Isengard?
    For that Mordor food, there should be a very large lake (cant remember the name, so for now we call it lake X) because in the books is written that all the food was made by slaves around lake X and then brought to the orc camps. (Or something like that.) it would be cool ifyou could add something similair.
    Will unit hiring be with silver coins?
    That's all what came up

MevansLOTRmodFAN

Uruk-hai will probably live in rare camps in Rohan for the moment, and possibly in the Misty Mountains too. When Isengard is added they will also live there.

I do recall that the south part of Mordor was used for farming, so slave camps in the south of Mordor with food would be a great feature to add. But until the new Middle-earth map generation is added I can't decide which part is 'south', so this might have to wait a while.

Quote from Rayquaza3

I could help you create some sort of seed guide as I seem to be the main user for this... It could help new players find their favorite biome to start in or just have some pretty cool stuff... Lemme know your thoughts on this!

If you want to create a seed list that's fine by me and I'm sure many people will find it useful. But don't forget that the seeds will change in every update with a new biome, which I know is very annoying but as I've said before is sadly unavoidable until Middle-earth terrain is added.

Quote from Varka

The shire did have at least ONE ringwraith, remember...

And Mirkwood ought to be chock FULL of bad guys, between the spiders and Dol Guldur.

The Mirkwood biome will have no shortage of evil NPCs. Giant spiders will definitely be making an appearance, and probably some kinds of orcs and wraiths too.

I'm not planning anything with Ringwraiths at the moment because they will come with the quest updates, which are still a long way off.

Quote from Saraman

I think the trollshaws shouldn't be the biome for trolls, Becuase there were only three willing to go that far (east? Not sure which direction it was). The only other place trolls would be was inside the misty mountains in mordor or I thing is engage had some trolls. Out of these choices I thing you should spawn trolls in the misty mountains.

A new biome you should add is Harad. With the , a new set of weapons, armor, a crafting table, and haradrim villages

For the uruk-hia, there should be small camps (like the ones in mordor) in Rohan showing the saraman is at work there.

Well we will end up adding the Trollshaws at some point, and I think it would be a bit of a waste not to put trolls there. Certainly there will be trolls elsewhere but the Trollshaws trolls could be less threatening and more amusing, like the ones seen in the Hobbit. Stealing animals, stomping around, making campfires, that kind of thing.

Harad is planned to be added at some point, and there will be a lot of new content coming with it. And you read my mind with the Rohan Uruk-camps, because I've been planning that for quite a while now.
    Quote from Horus_3

Orc camps, Warg Bombardiers, the Dead Marshes, marsh wraiths, more weapons and mob spawner improvements have already been added.

The following is a list of things I am considering for the update, but these are just ideas and possibilities so I doubt I'll end up adding all of them for this update, and the list will probably change! Anyway: Uruk-hai, Uruk-hai crafting and equipment, Uruk-hai camps in Rohan, Trolls, a Trollshaws biome, a Lone-lands biome, Goblins, Goblin Towns in the Misty Mountains, Goblin crafting and equipment, a new Unit Hiring trading system, Gondor villages, the Easterlings and related items, Dwarf Houses, Dwarf Traders, Uruk-hai and Goblin traders, Tea.

Quote from Apollo8757

Wow, really cool mod. I look forward to future versions.

Thanks, glad you enjoy it!

Quote from LordDarwid

I saw in the mojang website that there are gonna be more texture changes. Lets hope it is not like the 1.5 change. That was a pain on everyones neck

Hopefully these will only be minor or optional changes. I don't think they'd add another whole new texture system after just recently adding a whole new texture system.
    Goblintown in the Misty Mountains. Absolutely. DO IT! DOOO EEEET!
    I was mining with the dwarves, and then I saw in my chat an Elven Trader was nerby, then i went to the surface, just to see that he died:
    Is there any way to avoid them spawning inside walls?
    Can you make the Nazguls?
    This mod is epic for sure
    This talk of Valinor made me do a little research... It is said to have every species of animal and plant found in Middle-earth, as well as a couple of native ones. I also remember hearing the Elves brought Mallorn Trees with them from Valinor, but I'm not sure where I heard it... In terms of climate, it would be somewhere near the tropics, but occasionally had snow and had a large ice sheet in its Northeren regions. As the homeland of the Elves, it also had many cities.

Also, I know you have planned army leading for this update. Will we recieve Death Messages when our troops die? I know this would be hard to do with larger armies, but I just thought it would be cool/good to know how many of my Elves were still able to kill that Giant Troll that murdered those poor Hobbits... This upcoming update is focused on Evil, and at the moment it is suicide for evil players to make an Elven Portal, so do you have any plans for another way to/from Middle-earth? At the moment, Orc tools are made from "Orc Steel". As we just had "Dwarf Steel" added and it needs to be made in the Dwarven Forge, it seems a little odd to have Orc Steel from the regular Furnace. Maybe you could change the name to Morgul Iron and add Orc Steel as an alloy between Morgul Iron and possibly Nurite Gems... Have you considered making a list of mod (in)compatibilities? Do you know of this is able to be played with Railcraft?
    Last edited by Rayquaza3: 5/8/2013 3:32:39 AM
    what does the hobbit ring do?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes