[1.6.4][Forge][ModLoader] Mob Spawn Controls! Control Spawning! Increase SpawnCaps + Spawn Attempts! Mo'Creatures+ExtraBiomes S

Yes and yes. I have no idea why it wouldn't work, the only mod I have installed is forge.
    Last edited by butcherwalrus: 2/18/2013 2:31:39 AM
    Quote from Karganeth

Well done. It really seems that Minecraft somehow favors its own passive mobs when spawning, probably something to do with farm animals needing to be in greater quantities because they rarely respawn. Unfortunately I haven't found the exact place in Minecraft's code that does that. And even if I did... the solution comes down to using a custom spawner. Even then I'm not sure of what possibilities Forge offers so far to override Minecraft's spawning.

Well, I can imagine that Vanilla mobs are difficult to control because MC can take over... I can also understand that the horse weight falls to the frequency set in CustomMobSpawner regardless of whaterver ammout you set in MSC, but what I really don't understand is why there were so few animals (much less than the 140 requested in SpawnCaps) and no rabbits at all (although the weight was 8).

The point is that i have the strong impression that MSC and Custom Mob Spawner (or AtmosMobs and Mo' Creature) have a sort of conflict each-other...
    So far I haven't managed to find a setting to have them working together, expecially in conjuction with ExtrabiomesXL...
    Last edited by Pacrox: 2/18/2013 4:03:31 AM
    Quote from Pacrox

The point is that i have the strong impression that MSC and Custom Mob Spawner (or AtmosMobs and Mo' Creature) have a sort of conflict each-other...
    So far I haven't managed to find a setting to have them working together, expecially in conjuction with ExtrabiomesXL...

I strongly agree with this. I haven't been able to make one mod make animals spawn without the other mod not spawning any mobs of its own.
    I have spent a week working full time trying to get this to work, read through all 37 pages of this thread, written countless thousands lines of configuration, barely survived mole explosions and fly plagues, and now the mod is working like it should, I am still not much closer to having actual control over mob spawns.

First, and this should be your top priority before doing any more work on the mod, fix the first page of this thread and include some basic usage instructions. Remove the outdated advice from Dhzark, and tell people what each of the different numbers in the config file actually do, just copy and paste from any of the wonderful people who have been doing support for you. This simple action will remove 90% of the support load on this thread and save countless hours of users following your currently incorrect advice.

Secondly, actual control is possible.You have said you do not want to change creature classes from mods, that is fair, and you do not have to. Here is my proposed solution, use a custom listener to determine spawn conditions and then spawn and despawn entities according to custom conditional rules. Its more work, but it is doable, and it is what everyone in this thread is looking for. If its too much work, how about open sourcing so we can contribute back?

Finally, I would gladly trade the past week of my life for a copy of Mohawk's mod pack.
    Last edited by p0ss: 2/18/2013 11:45:00 AM
    Quote from Mezona

I strongly agree with this. I haven't been able to make one mod make animals spawn without the other mod not spawning any mobs of its own.

Well, to be very honest, I seems like it's impossible to set a proper spawning of the Atmos and Mo' Creatures for each biome.
    The thing is that Mo' Creature with it's CustomSpawner don't spawn mobs in Extrabiomes XL added biomes while MSC sees perfectly all the added biomes, but seem to have problems in conjunction with Mo' Creatures.

In other words, if you want the horse you can't use ExtrabiomesXL.

Again, I hope that Dr. Zharks and Davidee will work together to make their mods compatible each-other.
    Quote from idgarad

It is a simple union to manage them. You just have to pick how you resolve conflicting entities. If you have a clear established order of priority it is easy to manage. Not knowing how your code looks my initial guesstimate would be to build an array for each biome based on how the config looks. All you should have to do is check the existing biome array to see if the entry already exists if so, resolve the conflict (replace, ignore, average) but updating the existing entry. Next.

process custom biomes first. They are just an array to walk in a typical do while() loop.

Then process the individual biomes last (which are still effectively a list, just a list of one.)

// Generic non-language specific pc.

@CustomForest=Forest, Alpine, Seasonal Forest.
    @CustomForest~monster=@Default,spider(1/2/5)

sort(CustomForest~monster) such that all entries starting with a "-" are last and @Default, if it exists is first

for each CustomForest~monster as currentEntitry
    for each CustomForest as currentBiome

if currentEntity=="@Default" then

for each @Default~monster as defEntity
    add defEntity to current biome's spawn list
    end for loop

else

if left(currentEntity,1) != "-" then delete currentEntity from currentBiome's spawn list

else
    check if currentEntity exists in the list if so then
    if config.ResolveStyle == "Overwrite" then update the existing entity in the array to the new values
    if config.ResolveStyle == "Ignore" then do nothing
    if config.ResolveStyle == "Average" then add the weights and average the min and max values and update the existing entry
    else add the currentEntity to the array

Once you've built all those entries arrays after reading the config values then you can commit them. Regardless of how many times a single biome exists in a custom biome group because you treat the initial build as an array (or linked list, etc.) you can handle multiple inheritance with relative (I do mean relative) ease by either overwriting existing entries, replacing them, some cool averaging mechanic, etc.

You'd don't understand what I'm saying. I could care less how it is implemented. I'm not talking about the exact specifics, but more of the specifications. When you start adding grouping and inheritance, everything gets complicated. Things need to have a well-defined behavior - until you define exactly what should happen, I can't start implementing it.

Quote from p0ss

First, and this should be your top priority before doing any more work on the mod, fix the first page of this thread and include some basic usage instructions. Remove the outdated advice from Dhzark, and tell people what each of the different numbers in the config file actually do, just copy and paste from any of the wonderful people who have been doing support for you. This simple action will remove 90% of the support load on this thread and save countless hours of users following your currently incorrect advice.

Secondly, actual control is possible.You have said you do not want to change creature classes from mods, that is fair, and you do not have to. Here is my proposed solution, use a custom listener to determine spawn conditions and then spawn and despawn entities according to custom conditional rules. Its more work, but it is doable, and it is what everyone in this thread is looking for. If its too much work, how about open sourcing so we can contribute back?

Finally, I would gladly trade the past week of my life for a copy of Mohawk's mod pack.

Will do, but currently I'm not sure how compatibility with Mo Creatures is/how you get it to work. I don't have time to mess around with compatibility checks. If someone has a very in-depth post, I'll use that. :o

You cannot modify entity classes. You cannot change spawning conditions.In theory, you could, but that would require rewriting the entire minecraft spawning system. Despawning, however, is certainly possible, but I want to add that in once MSC is rewritten.

EDIT:

I'm currently thinking this:
    • Each biome can only belong to 1 group
    • Each biome can override the group settings, if desired
    • ?A group can belong to 1 group?

However, I can't think of a good way to get this to work with the new per-mod configs. :o
    Last edited by Davidee: 2/18/2013 2:58:51 PM
    I actually registered here to report some findings on my own server after doing the same as many folks here... reading all 30+ pages, painstakingly testing settings individually and rewriting my config more times than I can count. As of right now, I am currently using the following (among many other general mods, but these are the relevant ones for this discussion):

- Mo'Creatures
    - Primitive Mobs
    - Divine RPG
    - ExtraBiomesXL

Currently I have ALL Mo'Creatures, DivineRPG and select Primitive Mobs monsters spawning properly, or as close to properly as seems possible. They are spawning per biome correctly and the spawn weights appear to be factoring in properly as well.

First let me preface why Primitive Mobs only has "select" mobs enabled. I found that the Mother Spider mob caused MAJOR problems where the baby spiders would never clean up or despawn, often leaving caves full of a dozen or more baby spiders but no mother spider anywhere to be found. This "gummed up the works" so to speak and prevented other mobs from spawning. The same happened with the Mimic Chest mob, which would constantly place as many as 6 Mimics in close proximity clusters for some reason, and never despawn them.

Here's what I did to get to this point:

- Move all critters that don't drop food from CREATURE to AMBIENT, set the ambient spawn cap to 1. This seems to allow one "group" of spawns at a time per ambient critter, so Mo'Creatures fireflies, birds, vanilla bats and others won't overrun the world. If you have a min 1 max 3 butterfly spawn it will only allow one group of up to 3 butterflies, it seems.

- Increase spawn caps, right now they're sitting at 75 monster, 100 creature, 30 water, 1 ambient. I like lots of critters even though it sometimes slows the tickrate on my box a bit. I'm just giving my numbers as a general reference since it's working okay.

So what's still wrong? Certain mobs refuse to spawn, under any circumstances. Wraiths and Komodo Dragons from Mo'Creatures don't spawn, despite the name being correct and matching the Entities.txt listing. I haven't seen Rays or Jellyfish either, come to think of it... but there's plenty in the water between the fish, piranhas, dolphins and sharks I suppose. I've had those mobs in the spawn config since the start and have never seen one in hours of playing and testing. The Nautilus from Fossil & Archaeology doesn't spawn either but frankly I don't care about that one.

I HIGHLY recommend using Rei's Minimap or similar and enabling the entities radar options in order to see where stuff is getting stuck. That's largely what led me to finding out about the baby spider and mimic chests causing problems! Hopefully all of this can help someone out, I found that moving the random critters to ambient and capping ambient to 1 helped tremendously in freeing up space for other mobs to spawn normally.
    Im still working on my config. Still using mo creatures+atmosmobs with no biome mod atm. Just added simply horses as a quick test of those versus mo creatures horses.

SpawnCap.monster:70
    SpawnCap.creature:90
    SpawnCap.water:15
    SpawnCap.ambient:15
    #
    Creatures.SpawnFrequency:20
    #
    AutoSave:true
    CanEdit:true
    MasterEnabled:false
    #
    master.monster:
    master.creature:
    master.water:
    master.ambient:
    #
    Beach.monster:Spider{10/4/4},Zombie{10/4/4},Skeleton{10/4/4},Creeper{10/4/4},Slime{10/4/4},Enderman{1/1/4}
    Beach.creature:AtmosMobs.Starfish{2/1/2},AtmosMobs.Seal{6/1/2},AtmosMobs.Seagull{8/1/1},AtmosMobs.Crab{4/1/2}
    Beach.water:AtmosMobs.Colourful Fish{8/4/4},AtmosMobs.Starfish{8/4/4}
    Beach.ambient:Bat{10/8/8}
    #
    Desert.monster:Spider{10/4/4},Zombie{10/4/4},Skeleton{10/4/4},Creeper{10/4/4},Slime{10/4/4},Enderman{1/1/4},WWolf{1/4/5},Scorpion{1/4/5},Rat{1/4/5}
    Desert.creature:Snake{8/1/2},Elephant{4/1/2},AtmosMobs.Vulture{5/1/1},Ostrich{6/1/2},AtmosMobs.Lizard{10/1/2}
    Desert.water:Fishy{8/4/4}
    Desert.ambient:Bat{10/8/8}
    #
    DesertHills.monster:Spider{10/4/4},Zombie{10/4/4},Skeleton{10/4/4},Creeper{10/4/4},Slime{10/4/4},Enderman{1/1/4},WWolf{1/4/5},Scorpion{1/4/5},Rat{1/4/5}
    DesertHills.creature:Snake{8/1/2},Elephant{4/1/2},Ostrich{6/1/2},AtmosMobs.Vulture{5/1/1},AtmosMobs.Lizard{10/1/2},Goat{4/1/2}
    DesertHills.water:Fishy{8/4/4}
    DesertHills.ambient:Bat{10/8/8}
    #
    Extreme Hills.monster:Spider{10/4/4},Zombie{10/4/4},Skeleton{10/4/4},Creeper{10/4/4},Slime{10/4/4},Enderman{1/1/4},WWolf{1/4/5},Rat{1/4/5},Scorpion{1/4/5}
    Extreme Hills.creature:Bear{4/1/2},Goat{4/1/2},Sheep{4/2/3}
    Extreme Hills.water:Fishy{8/4/4}
    Extreme Hills.ambient:Bat{10/8/8}
    #
    Extreme Hills Edge.monster:Spider{10/4/4},Zombie{10/4/4},Skeleton{10/4/4},Creeper{10/4/4},Slime{10/4/4},Enderman{1/1/4},WWolf{8/4/4},Scorpion{8/4/4},Rat{8/4/4}
    Extreme Hills Edge.creature:Bear{4/1/2},Goat{4/1/2},Sheep{4/2/3}
    Extreme Hills Edge.water:Fishy{8/4/4}
    Extreme Hills Edge.ambient:Bat{10/8/8}
    #
    Forest.monster:Spider{10/4/4},Zombie{10/4/4},Skeleton{10/4/4},Creeper{10/4/4},Slime{10/4/4},Enderman{1/1/4},WWolf{1/4/5},Scorpion{1/4/5},Rat{1/4/5}
    Forest.creature:Deer{8/1/2},AtmosMobs.Pigeon{4/1/2},Boar{4/1/2},Fox{4/1/2},Bear{4/1/2},AtmosMobs.Owl{4/1/2},Mouse{4/1/2}
    Forest.water:Fishy{1/4/5}
    Forest.ambient:Bat{10/8/8}
    #
    ForestHills.monster:Spider{10/4/4},Zombie{10/4/4},Skeleton{10/4/4},Creeper{10/4/4},Slime{10/4/4},Enderman{1/1/4},WWolf{1/4/5},Rat{1/4/5},Scorpion{1/4/5}
    ForestHills.creature:Deer{8/1/2},AtmosMobs.Pigeon{4/1/2},Boar{4/1/2},Bear{4/1/2},Fox{4/1/2},AtmosMobs.Owl{4/1/2},Goat{4/1/2},Mouse{4/1/2}
    ForestHills.water:Fishy{8/4/4}
    ForestHills.ambient:Bat{10/8/8}
    #
    FrozenOcean.monster:Spider{10/4/4},Zombie{10/4/4},Skeleton{10/4/4},Creeper{10/4/4},Slime{10/4/4},Enderman{1/1/4}
    FrozenOcean.creature:AtmosMobs.Seal{8/4/4},Bear{8/4/4}
    FrozenOcean.water:Shark{8/4/4},AtmosMobs.Colourful Fish{8/4/4},AtmosMobs.Whale{8/4/4},JellyFish{8/4/4},Squid{8/4/4},Dolphin{8/4/4}
    FrozenOcean.ambient:Bat{10/8/8}
    #
    FrozenRiver.monster:Spider{10/4/4},Zombie{10/4/4},Skeleton{10/4/4},Creeper{10/4/4},Slime{10/4/4},Enderman{1/1/4}
    FrozenRiver.creature:Duck{8/4/4}
    FrozenRiver.water:Fishy{8/4/4}
    FrozenRiver.ambient:Bat{10/8/8}
    #
    Hell.monster:Ghast{50/4/4},PigZombie{100/4/4},LavaSlime{1/4/4}
    Hell.creature:
    Hell.water:
    Hell.ambient:
    #
    Ice Mountains.monster:Spider{10/4/4},Zombie{10/4/4},Skeleton{10/4/4},Creeper{10/4/4},Slime{10/4/4},Enderman{1/1/4},WWolf{1/4/5},Rat{1/4/5},Scorpion{1/4/5}
    Ice Mountains.creature:Elephant{4/1/2},Goat{8/1/2},Fox{4/1/2},Mouse{4/1/2},Bear{4/1/2}
    Ice Mountains.water:Fishy{8/4/4}
    Ice Mountains.ambient:Bat{10/8/8}
    #
    Ice Plains.monster:Spider{10/4/4},Zombie{10/4/4},Skeleton{10/4/4},Creeper{10/4/4},Slime{10/4/4},Enderman{1/1/4},WWolf{1/4/5},Rat{1/4/5},Scorpion{1/4/5}
    Ice Plains.creature:Fox{4/1/2},Elephant{4/1/2},Bear{4/1/2},Mouse{4/1/2}
    Ice Plains.water:Fishy{8/4/4}
    Ice Plains.ambient:Bat{10/8/8}
    #
    Jungle.monster:Spider{10/4/4},Zombie{10/4/4},Skeleton{10/4/4},Creeper{10/4/4},Slime{10/4/4},Enderman{1/1/4},Ozelot{2/1/1},WWolf{1/4/5},Rat{1/4/5},Scorpion{1/4/5}
    Jungle.creature:AtmosMobs.Parrot{10/1/2},BigCat{4/1/2},AtmosMobs.Squirrel{8/1/2},AtmosMobs.Frog{8/1/2},Bird{4/1/2},Boar{4/1/2},AtmosMobs.Dodo{8/1/2}
    Jungle.water:AtmosMobs.Colourful Fish{8/4/4},AtmosMobs.Piranha{8/4/4}
    Jungle.ambient:Bat{10/8/8}
    #
    JungleHills.monster:Spider{10/4/4},Zombie{10/4/4},Skeleton{10/4/4},Creeper{10/4/4},Slime{10/4/4},Enderman{1/1/4},Ozelot{2/1/1},WWolf{1/4/5},Scorpion{1/4/5},Rat{1/4/5}
    JungleHills.creature:AtmosMobs.Parrot{10/1/2},BigCat{4/1/2},Bird{8/1/2},AtmosMobs.Frog{8/1/2},Boar{4/1/2},Goat{8/1/2},AtmosMobs.Dodo{8/1/2}
    JungleHills.water:AtmosMobs.Colourful Fish{8/4/4},AtmosMobs.Piranha{8/4/4}
    JungleHills.ambient:Bat{10/8/8}
    #
    MushroomIsland.monster:
    MushroomIsland.creature:MushroomCow{8/4/8}
    MushroomIsland.water:
    MushroomIsland.ambient:Bat{10/8/8}
    #
    MushroomIslandShore.monster:
    MushroomIslandShore.creature:MushroomCow{8/4/8}
    MushroomIslandShore.water:
    MushroomIslandShore.ambient:Bat{10/8/8}
    #
    Ocean.monster:Spider{10/4/4},Zombie{10/4/4},Skeleton{10/4/4},Creeper{10/4/4},Slime{10/4/4},Enderman{1/1/4}
    Ocean.creature:
    Ocean.water:Squid{10/4/4},AtmosMobs.Sea Turtle{4/1/2},Dolphin{4/1/2},Shark{4/1/2},JellyFish{4/1/2},AtmosMobs.Whale{4/1/1},AtmosMobs.Colourful Fish{12/2/4}
    Ocean.ambient:Bat{10/8/8}
    #
    Plains.monster:Spider{10/4/4},Zombie{10/4/4},Skeleton{10/4/4},Creeper{10/4/4},Slime{10/4/4},Enderman{1/1/4},Scorpion{1/4/5},Rat{1/4/5},WWolf{1/4/5}
    Plains.creature:Sheep{5/1/1},Pig{4/1/1},Chicken{4/1/2},Cow{3/1/1},AtmosMobs.Crow{6/1/1},AtmosMobs.Mole{4/1/1},Mouse{4/1/2}
    Plains.water:Fishy{8/4/4}
    Plains.ambient:Bat{10/8/8}
    #
    River.monster:Spider{10/4/4},Zombie{10/4/4},Skeleton{10/4/4},Creeper{10/4/4},Slime{10/4/4},Enderman{1/1/4}
    River.creature:Duck{8/1/2},AtmosMobs.Frog{6/1/2},AtmosMobs.Beaver{4/1/2}
    River.water:Fishy{1/4/5}
    River.ambient:Bat{10/8/8}
    #
    Sky.monster:Enderman{10/4/4}
    Sky.creature:
    Sky.water:
    Sky.ambient:
    #
    Swampland.monster:Spider{10/4/4},Zombie{10/4/4},Skeleton{10/4/4},Creeper{10/4/4},Slime{1/1/1},Enderman{1/1/4},WWolf{1/4/5},Rat{1/4/5},Scorpion{1/4/5}
    Swampland.creature:Crocodile{4/1/1},AtmosMobs.Frog{8/1/2},Duck{4/2/4},Snake{8/1/2}
    Swampland.water:Fishy{1/4/5}
    Swampland.ambient:Bat{10/8/8}
    #
    Taiga.monster:Spider{10/4/4},Zombie{10/4/4},Skeleton{10/4/4},Creeper{10/4/4},Slime{10/4/4},Enderman{1/1/4},Scorpion{1/4/5},WWolf{1/4/5},Rat{1/4/5}
    Taiga.creature:AtmosMobs.Squirrel{4/1/2},AtmosMobs.Beaver{4/1/2},AtmosMobs.Reindeer{12/1/2},Bear{4/1/2},Mouse{4/1/2}
    Taiga.water:Fishy{8/4/4}
    Taiga.ambient:Bat{10/8/8}
    #
    TaigaHills.monster:Spider{10/4/4},Zombie{10/4/4},Skeleton{10/4/4},Creeper{10/4/4},Slime{10/4/4},Enderman{1/1/4},WWolf{1/4/5},Scorpion{1/4/5},Rat{1/4/5}
    TaigaHills.creature:AtmosMobs.Reindeer{12/1/2},AtmosMobs.Beaver{4/1/2},Bear{4/1/2},AtmosMobs.Squirrel{4/1/2},Mouse{4/1/2}
    TaigaHills.water:Fishy{8/4/4}
    TaigaHills.ambient:Bat{10/8/8}
    #

I have set up my vanilla biomes to be the only place for vanilla animals to spawn. All is well in terms of all mobs listed spawning where I have set them. Including mo creatures and atmosmobs.

As has already been mentioned min group 1 max group 2 (or even 1) gives a better variation of mobs spawned, as minecraft does seem to have a tendancy to spawn multiple animals of the same type before picking another type. I plan to add some mob types to each biome but I wanted to get a scenario where I could get fly around nad make sure things are as they are supposed to be.

Ive currently got the animal spawn tick to 20, i think this matches mo creatures which I am used to and familiar with.

However I am having a problem. I think its related to mo creatures not saving its config as has been much reported on mo creatures thread and I have experienced myself. The MSC settings I have copied above are being changed by MSC/the game. Despite setting the spawnconfiguration.txt to read only the game is still overriding certain mo creatures settings, not vanilla mobs. It will however accept and use whatever spawn cap i set before making thefile read only. I have also copied my configuration to the default MSC config so new worlds will have this config, also just in case this is causing problem (also made the default config file read only). I think when/if a new version of mo creatures comes out and fixes its config/not holding settings issue this problem I have experienced will go away.

After much testing I am starting to think that possibly with the right settings the vanilla animals may not take over. I am going to set the spawn settings for vanilla animals in some zones at 1/1/1 and test over time. With an aggressive spawn tick (20 as per mo creatures custom mob spawner) and plenty of animals to spawn from I am hoping that the animal cap will not be filled with vanilla animals.
    Last edited by sirdave79: 2/18/2013 3:47:40 PM
    Is it possible with this mod (or another) to limit mobs by dimension. IE: No hostile mobs in the overworld, not limited in other dimensions.
    Well, dimensions seem to generally be their own biome from what I've seen with Divine RPG, the Nether and End. The Nether is labeled as "Hell" and the End dimension is "Sky" in the config. All of the Divine dimensions are their own biomes within the config as well, so hopefully that provides a simple way to handle it.
    Quote from Rhaz

Well, dimensions seem to generally be their own biome from what I've seen with Divine RPG, the Nether and End. The Nether is labeled as "Hell" and the End dimension is "Sky" in the config. All of the Divine dimensions are their own biomes within the config as well, so hopefully that provides a simple way to handle it.

Twilight Forest has several biomes.

The majority of extra dimensions generally use just one, and those bioems can be used in the overworld too. its really up the the designer of the dimension how many biomes it has.
    I'm thinking specifically mystcraft here, we would like to have no hostiles in overworld, but allow mobs in ages.
    Quote from Rhaz

Really interesting stuff

How do you avoid vanilla creature like pig and sheep overruning you world. I'm curious. Since they stay, normally on chunk that are use often, only these can be found.
    Quote from Noofertonson »
    "Oh lol i was building and a creeper went SSSS OOH LOL! DEY ALWAYS EXP{OLEDE YOUR STUFFZ!!"
    Is there anyway to manually install this? I keep getting a black screen when I have it in my mods folder.
    Adding my response here in regard to the compatibility issues between MobSpawnControls and MoCreatures :

Quote from Karganeth

Hey DrZhark. I've been trying to contact you through your assistants with no luck. I have a few suggestions (and can show already functional code for them) to make your mod more compatible with Mob Spawn Controls and to make some of your options work as intended.

See the results of my findings here, just get in touch if you have any questions.

DrZhark has been really busy and I've been busy working on MCPC+(Forge/FML/CraftBukkit). Most of the problems you mentioned are with CustomSpawner. DrZhark usually handles issues with CustomSpawner but since hes been busy, I'll work on fixing it as well =). As for ServerStarted section, this has now been moved to postInit. I also took some time today to revamp our spawning code in MoCProxy and MoCreatures classes. The changes I've done so far are as follows :

1. Added dynamic biome support.
    - Biomes will automatically be generated and added to MoCreatures.cfg. I completely removed the check for XL since it is no longer needed.

2. Customizable MoCreatures biome spawn support
    - With dynamic biome support, you are now able to remove/add MoCreatures as you please. Check below for a sample config(not yet finished).

3. New Categories
    ownership-settings
    biome-spawn-settings
    moc-general-settings
    moc-creature-frequencies
    moc-creature-general-settings
    moc-creature-chunk-settings
    moc-monster-frequencies
    moc-monster-general-settings
    moc-monster-chunk-settings
    moc-watercreature-frequencies
    moc-watercreature-general-settings
    moc-watercreature-chunk-settings
    customspawner-settings
    customspawner-vanilla-creature-frequencies
    customspawner-vanilla-monster-frequencies
    customspawner-vanilla-watercreature-frequencies

4. New frequency options : weighted probability, minGroupCount, maxGroupCount
    - Changed MoCreature frequencies to include the following : weighted probability, minGroupCount, maxGroupCount. (not in sample config)

Sample of new MoCreatures.cfg can be found here : http://paste.md-5.ne...daguniji.coffee
    Note: this is still a work in progress but this is what I have so far =)
    Last edited by bloodshot45: 2/19/2013 12:13:24 AM

Help me support Mo Creatures SMP by donating for my time and effort=)
    Quote from Vherkin

How do you avoid vanilla creature like pig and sheep overruning you world. I'm curious. Since they stay, normally on chunk that are use often, only these can be found.

I've been busy toying with Custom Ore Generator and IC2 lately since I've been mostly satisfied with the bulk of the mob spawning... until recently. I found my way into a desert and set up a basecamp in a neat pyramid deal generated by Ruins, and the desert spawn rules aren't working quite as planned. That's where the Komodo is supposed to show up, but no luck thus far.

I'll do more in-depth testing in other biomes to see how it's handling the vanilla mobs, but generally speaking I'm seeing a good mix of added critters (deer, boars, etc) along with the vanilla mobs over decently long play sessions and server uptime. I do have the Mo'Creatures despawn vanilla config option enabled though there seems to be some debate over whether it actually does anything. It's possible that I've just got the vanilla mobs' spawn weight low enough that it takes a much longer time for them to overrun the biomes they spawn in!

@bloodshot45: Woo! Thanks for the update, that's definitely good news for those of us pulling our hair out juggling MSC and biome mods.

@HunterParasite: You're right! I forgot about Twilight Forest, though I do have it installed oddly enough... I would assume in that case you'd have to pin down all the biomes used for the dimension and config them individually, but the result would be more or less the same. Now I need to go make a twilight portal since I haven't jumped over to that dimension yet!
    Ive just tested the ability for wraiths to spawn. Set them to spawn in desert (easy to see) and 1 minute later (literally) I see a wraith spawned through MSC.

I also tested the kimodo dragons. Added them to the desert and flew around it 3 times or so didnt see a single one. However I did not see a single elephant either and I know that they are spawning on my setup properly. So I added kimodo dragons to shrubland (next to desert) and after flying around for some time I did find a pack of them. So they are spawning in MSC. I think this is also related to the suggestion that mod added mobs are affected by the seed (as per minecraft wiki).

Good luck all!
    Quote from Davidee

You'd don't understand what I'm saying. I could care less how it is implemented. I'm not talking about the exact specifics, but more of the specifications. When you start adding grouping and inheritance, everything gets complicated. Things need to have a well-defined behavior - until you define exactly what should happen, I can't start implementing it.

I don't think I can better described the expected behavior more then I have. All I can say is "in config file order for defining groups. Process groups as a list. Overwrite existing entries otherwise add them. Negation is processed last, wildcards (either additive or negated) are processed first. Specific Biome > Custom Group > Default. Only apply default to biomes not defined in the config."

Beyond that I don't know what you are asking for. Always glad to help but I am at a loss for what you need from me. I am not trying to interject myself into your dev process, rather just sharing thoughts on what I see as potential features that may make managing biomes and creatures more organic.

Looking at the proposed Mocreatures config, I'm looking at over 400 lines of config file, just in the biome-spawn-settings section alone, without a single creature defined. Not one creatures. That in ridiculous to the point of absurd. A simple custom grouping of:

@Forests
    @Aquatic
    @Dry
    @Wet
    @Hot
    @Cold
    @Safe
    @Dangerous

Takes their 400 lines and would reduce it to 50 for me. Imagine in 3 more years with more biomes and more creatures. Without custom grouping I'll be dropping a 2000 line config (which is what my mo-creatures config will actually be if I were to bother with it at this point once they change based on blood's sample). 2000 lines of config file.... If one of my java devs came to me with a 2000 line config file for one of our banking apps I'd have to slap the stupid out of him or her. Jebus Rice MoCreatures is telling me now I have to manage a 2000+ line config file.... I think if I added all of forestry, buildcraft, Ic2, and redpower, together I MIGHT have 2000 lines of config file between them....

It's about managing things in an intelligent manner. Custom grouping helps, custom grouping with inheritance helps a lot. I only manage programmers now, by coding days are long behind me for the most part so I can't speak to fit and finish much anymore. By 2k lines of config isn't going to be fun to manage. And then having to go in every time a new biome gets added, or a new creatures... What happens in 6 months when Mystcraft decides to drop 20 custom biomes.... the list goes on..

Bloodshot45 I would seriously reconsider that biome-spawn-settings section. Perhaps the two of you can hammer out some solution to grouping and inheritance that would work for both of your projects.
    Quote from sirdave79

Ive just tested the ability for wraiths to spawn. Set them to spawn in desert (easy to see) and 1 minute later (literally) I see a wraith spawned through MSC.

I also tested the kimodo dragons. Added them to the desert and flew around it 3 times or so didnt see a single one. However I did not see a single elephant either and I know that they are spawning on my setup properly. So I added kimodo dragons to shrubland (next to desert) and after flying around for some time I did find a pack of them. So they are spawning in MSC. I think this is also related to the suggestion that mod added mobs are affected by the seed (as per minecraft wiki).

Good luck all!

Interesting, I know I've got elephants spawning properly as well though they're very rare. I've seen the komodos spawn, but never in the desert and not with my current config. The mob spawn mechanics are definitely a nebulous mess if world seed, biome and other things are impacting spawning when they shouldn't!

I have wraiths set to 40 spawn weight on about 2/3 of the biomes on the overworld and they simply refuse to spawn for some reason. I'll have to keep tweaking it since the desert in particular is in desperate need of mobs beyond scorpions and zombies...
    Quote from Rhaz

Interesting, I know I've got elephants spawning properly as well though they're very rare. I've seen the komodos spawn, but never in the desert and not with my current config. The mob spawn mechanics are definitely a nebulous mess if world seed, biome and other things are impacting spawning when they shouldn't!

I have wraiths set to 40 spawn weight on about 2/3 of the biomes on the overworld and they simply refuse to spawn for some reason. I'll have to keep tweaking it since the desert in particular is in desperate need of mobs beyond scorpions and zombies...

Are you sure the wraiths aren't spawning underground? Load up an xray mod and check. That might be the case.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes