Just cause I was asked, I barely find time to check my private messages at the moment. I have updated to 1.2.5 and removed the surface effects of the previous version. (If you like them simply use the shader folder of the previous version instead of the new one.)
I have fixed a bug with the water surface effect in v5b.
I decided to call this version 5, since I have added a few surface effects. If you don't like them, there is an option to disable them via the config file (Surface effects (on/off) parameter).
Version 5b for modloader (requires a modloader installation)*: Download
Direct download: Download
1. copy the files from the Minecraft folder to the minecraft.jar
2. delete the '/meta_inf' folder in your minecraft.jar
3. copy the '/shader' folder to your '/bin' folder
(If there is no '/shader' folder in your '/bin' folder create one; or simply drag the whole '/shader' folder to your '/bin' folder.)
A config file is found in the shader folder. It can be used to change parameters such as:
- Visual: water color, waterfall color
- Performance: there are a settings for disabling parts of the reflections and to decrease the reflection resolution
- To disable water effects use 'water_mode 0'
Incompatible graphic chips
- ATI X1200 or lower
- Graphic cards without GL_EXT_framebuffer_object support
- Graphic cards without GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_ARB_vertex_shader and GL_ARB_fragment_shader support
- Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family (or lower; will in some cases result in the invisible world bug)
Execution problems and possible solutions:
- Minecraft runs out of memory
solution: change these two settings in your config.txt
- An exception with: 'cfgGrassFix'
Possible solution (no guarantee): use the modloader version when having modloader installed
- java.lang.SecurityException: SHA1 digest error for px.class
solution: delete the '/meta_inf' folder in your minecraft.jar
- fast flickering in the water
solution: disable advanced opengl in your video settings menu
And since i got many messages about other videos during the last month: Video section for all other video links i got:
Sorry if they are not all the requests i have gotten (it isn't that easy to look through all the private messages), but i just wanted to start a section where all those videos can be added, since i have answered that to some of the requests.
by BackslashLP (german how to install): http://www.youtube.com/embed/NVP2IScN7vo" frameborder="0" autoplay="false" allowfullscreen sandbox="allow-forms allow-scripts allow-same-origin">
German installation by MinecraftBaseHD
Not much of my mod visible, but anyway:
Changelog alpha 5:
- Modified 4f surface effects
- Option to disable them
Changelog alpha 4f:
- Added "surface caustics"
- Added fresnel fake
- Fixed a few bugs in 4e (waving sky)
Changelog alpha 4e:
(- Was e for quite a while, I simply changed the topic.)
- Removed debug console output in modloader version
Changelog alpha 4d:
- Lighting through new light engine (the ice still does not look 100% equal)
- FBO.class fix integrated into this version
Changelog alpha 4b:
- Changed waterfall color back (red colored texture pack textures)
- Increased waterfal diffrafction a little
- New config settings
- Basic anti aliasing
Changelog alpha 4:
- Slightly improved performance
- Added config
- More colorful water
- Framerate independent animation
- Diving out of the water error partially fixed
- Further improved reflection plane picking
- Nether portal fixed (still not fixed in the modloader version)
- Rain improved
- Waterfalls are now affected by fog
- Cloud reflections in the water off by default
- Player reflection in first person
- Pre OpenGL 2.0 support
- No more GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil required
- Starting up the mod automatically disables advanced OpenGL
Changelog alpha v3a:
- slightly increased water color
Changelog alpha v3:
- Non-planar water (waterfalls) no longer produce reflections
- Ice is rendered in standard minecraft fashion
- Reduced reflections, in specific around the player
- Ray-Casting variation to determine on what water plane to reflect
The mod requires changes in the following classes: Tessellator, RenderBlocks, EntityRenderer
- Invisible world probably on Intel Chipset Graphics (hopefully fixed)
- Popping artifacts due to the change of the reflection plane may occur
- In Advanced OpenGL reflections are sometimes not displayed correctly (view frustum culling removes objects required for reflections)
- Around water borders thin incorrect lines may occur (in the current version these artifacts are normally found at corners)
Known incompatibilities for the default version:
- Modloader (there is a modloader version; to install: start from a project using modloader; then copy the water shader files)
- OptiFine (Install watershader over optifine and switch graphics to fast - how_to_optifine)
- Forge API
- Better Than Wolves
- Finite Liquids
[This list may be incomplete or wrong, since other mods change all the time.]
Since I was asked to add a donate button, here it is. I don't think many will use it, but if you do thanks a lot.
Possible fix for 'invisible world' or
'GL_FRAMEBUFFER_INCOMPLETE_DIMENSIONS_EXT' (for intel or ati on-board graphics and version 1.7.3): Download
(To put in your minecraft.jar. If this does not work, I will remove it again tomorrow.)
Thanks to the MCP project, which made it possible to create this in a short time.
Thanks for the feedback in this thread, I tried to include as much as possible.
Also thanks for the videos about this mod. And thanks for the downloads, and special thanks to the eight donates I have gotten so far .
* I have decided to put up and adfly link as well, since if i don't look somebody comes up and wants to make money out of my mod (already in alpha). Which makes me feel real strange. Therefore I added an option to adfly myself. Feel free to use the regular download! and I hope nobody is offended by this offer.
Damn, this is gorgeous. I hope you'll be able to continue straightening out bugs and such. Also, I find it hard to believe that Mojang is going to upgrade their shaders at this stage of development, so you're probably safe continuing to support this mod.
Looks cool would download if not already using glslr mod and im guessing there not compatible.
nope, i wanted to start out using the glsl mod; but it is nearly impossible to develop shaders without their source-code
i am really not a lot into minecraft mods, 2 original classes are overwritten - the px class is probably important to many modders (i also changed the n - class; but i think i could remove these changes since the were not required)
i might merge it with the glsl mod, if i get the chance to - probably its best to wait fo the modding api anyways
stick to glsl mod for now :smile.gif:
How does this work? I suppose it's not ray tracing.
You are right, i simply mirrored the scene along the water plane, clipped the under water reflection geometry and added some sinus distortions in image space in a fragment shader. There is a lot of fixed function in the source code, so it was a little unusual programming.
Next challenge would be to support different planes of water and try to get the transparency right, which is a little difficult due to meaningless variable names and missing comments. (But we all have to live with that.)
Anyways thanks for the motivating feedback, hard to keep it like it is now.
PS: i just realized i wrote something incorrect; the distortion conceptually happens in world space, not image space, although it is done in a fragment shader...