1.7.10 Optimisation

OptiFine HD A4 (FPS Boost, HD Textures, AA, AF and much more)

Poll: FPS increase with OptiFine

FPS increase with OptiFine - Single Choice

• 0% 6.5%
  • 10% 7.1%
  • 25% 9.3%
  • 50% 18.1%
  • 100% 18%
  • 200%+ 41.1%
    Quote from RabĀ­ain

It seems like it can't save custom? performance settings, e.g. 40 FPS which should be 'power saver'. It does save on VSync and Max FPS however. Anything else seem to revert back to a '120 FPS' setting.

Bug found and fixed, available in next version.
    Quote from lucom

Actually I suggested this independant render resolution, so that one can use any display resolution, but actually there would be fewer pixels to render and also smaller display buffers and thus more space for textures etc...

What you describe is playing in a window.
    Resize the window to desired size and keep the display resolution.
    Managing aspect ratios and stretching/resizing can be configured in the graphics card control panel or monitor setup. The graphics card can usually scale smoother than the monitor.
    Last edited by sp614x: 12/17/2012 3:29:43 AM
    Could i please redistribute your amazing mod optifine in my modpack please?
    Thank You
    /) If you want leave me a pm :D
    Quote from sp614x

Managing aspect ratios and stretching/resizing can be configured in the graphics card control panel or monitor setup. The graphics card can usually scale smoother than the monitor.

Not really: I'd like to play in full screen, not in a window. Additionally the whole screen should be used without having black bars on the borders of the screen and without losing the aspect ratio. But not every graphics card / monitor setup supports such resizing correctly. Especially TV monitors seem to have issues with that.

For example I cannot select a low resolution without messing up the display, because my card only supports 4:3 resolutions lower than 1280x768.

So currently I have three options:
    - Playing with a 4:3 resolution stretched to wide-screen. -> looks weird
    - Playing with a 4:3 resolution with the correct aspect ratio but with black bars on the left and right sides. -> somehow OK
    - Playing with one of the natively supported TV resolution which are beyond what my graphics card can render in a timely fashion. -> FPS lower than 10

As far as I know it isn't too complicated to render the szene off-screen and than copy the result to a larger display buffer.
    Why cant I download the Light Optifine...Need help...I tried both of the downloads
    So, still getting the same close proximity invisible chunk problem in HD_U_D8. I was messing around a bit and noticed that the problem doesn't occur if the render distance is set lower than 'short + 48'. I had a console log open while running Minecraft, and one exception did appear, though I doubt it relates to OptiFine (an IOException). It also happens on any chunk loading setting; multi-core or not. The chunks that don't render properly usually originate in the middle amongst the other loaded chunks. The number of 'erroneous' chunks also seems to increase when the render distance is also increased. At 'far + 16' or higher, the errors become virtually non-existent.

If I drag the slider to at least 'far + 16' and then back to within that erroneous range, for example, 'normal'. then the chunks load fine. But if I change another setting (like 'fancy' to 'fast' graphics), then the chunks bug out again, and I have to drag the slider forwards then back again to fix it... I guess this would be analogous to having to manually tell the game to re-render every chunk once you change a major setting. Hope this all makes sense.

Oh, and entities and particles still render fine, it's just certain chunks.

This is all happening in Minecraft 1.4.5. OptiFine is the only mod I have installed, too. I have to go back to HD_U_D3 to fix this problem.
    I'm running Java 7 update 9 x64, on Windows 8 x64, and AMD Catalyst 12.11 graphics drivers

Hardware I'm using: Intel Core i5 3570K (4GHz), 8GB 1600MHz RAM, Radeon HD 7870, 120GB SSD (where Minecraft is kept), 500GB HDD

I've only seen a few people with this same problem... Maybe it's hardware-specific or something...
    Last edited by Apocalypsing: 12/17/2012 7:30:29 AM
    Quote from lucom

Imagine a 4:3 render resolution correctly stretched to fill a 16:9 display. In that case the rendered pixels would actually be rectangular.

If 4:3 is stretched to 16:9 then the pixels will not be rectangular anymore.
    Alternatives are:
    - black bars on left and right
    - removing the bottom and top
    Quote from lucom

I have a suggestion regarding the screen resolution settings.

It would be great to choose the render resoltion independant of the screen resolution.

For example: I'd choose something like 960x540 as render resolution but would display this on my TV whitch only supports the default resolution 1920x1080.

Many people with low end systems would benefit from this. One could still maintain the correct aspect ratio on any screen. Additionally it would be great if one could select a method for the upscaling of the rendered image (e.g. no interpolation, linear, etc.)

Quote from sp614x

Consider, if you will, an OS that only lets me choose a few, limited choices of screen size.

I can play full screen, but only if I want one of a few preset sizes. None of which I want.

What I want is full screen, 854x480.

But note that at that resolution, full screen would be "taller" -- native aspect ratio of 1.6. (4:3 is 1.333; 16:9 is 1.7778). So it would be 854 x 534 display, only using 854x480 of that.

Making minecraft taller without making it wider results in seeing less of the stuff to the side, and more detail in front.
    Making minecraft wider without making it taller results in seeing more stuff off to the side at ever increasing slants.

Quote from lucom

Not really: I'd like to play in full screen, not in a window. Additionally the whole screen should be used without having black bars on the borders of the screen and without losing the aspect ratio. But not every graphics card / monitor setup supports such resizing correctly. Especially TV monitors seem to have issues with that.

You are asking for contradictions, or I am misunderstanding you.

If you want to use the whole screen, and keep aspect ratio, then you need a monitor that is 16:9. Any other physical screen ratio will require something to distort or be black.
    My channel with Mystcraft, and general Minecraft Let's Plays: http://www.youtube.com/user/Keybounce
    ** NEW: FtB "Magic Farm", performance testing and java flags.
    My main world: http://www.minecraft...ts-play-series/
    "Wait, an update?! Geez, I didn't know we skipped Easter and went straight to Christmas."
    Quote from HanFox

Is it a bug that the glass panes CTM cannot be defined manually or are they meant to be defined via placing a ctm.png in the root of a texturepack (as opposed to in the ctm folder)? I've seen one or two others having issues in the thread, but it's been ongoing for over a month and there seems to be no clear answer/fix.

The ctm.png in the root is the old implementation which isn't very flexible (just glass, bookshelfs and sandstone), eventhough this seems to be working fine in optifine, the better alternative (which uses the properties files in the ctm folder) does work, but seems to be selecting the wrong tiles and skips glass panes all together, see my post for details.

So I agree it has to be a bug, I hope sp614x can elaborate on this one, since it messes up my (new) texturepack quite considerably. Still hoping for betterglass (renderpass) support as well.
    Last edited by 2nv2u: 12/17/2012 3:00:31 PM
    v1.6-1 & v1.5-10 06/22/13 MC: 1.6.1 & 1.5.2
    Absolutely love this mod. Although I have a good gaming PC, just having it installed triples my FPS.
    Quote from Keybounce

You are asking for contradictions, or I am misunderstanding you.

If you want to use the whole screen, and keep aspect ratio, then you need a monitor that is 16:9. Any other physical screen ratio will require something to distort or be black.

Well, I think you were misunderstanding me. Hopefully this screenshot will explain what I'm asking for:

So, imagine having a monitor with a native resolution of 854x480 pixels (like the screenshot) and a damn slow pc. This screenshot has the native resolution of the monitor, but it is based on only 240x240 pixels with the correct aspect ratio, scaled up to the screen's resolution.

I must admit, that with this low resolution MC looks a bit blurry, but such an independant render resolution would make more sense on a full HD TV. (E.g. 512x512 render resolution on a TV that messes everything up on a different resolution than 1920x1080)

Btw.: Great mod!!
    Last edited by lucom: 12/17/2012 2:31:18 PM
    Quote from 2nv2u

The ctm.png in the root is the old implementation which isn't very flexible (just glass, bookshelfs and sandstone), eventhough this seems to be working fine in optifine, the better alternative (which uses the properties files in the ctm folder) does work, but seems to be selecting the wrong tiles and skips glass panes all together, see my post for details.

So I agree it has to be a bug, I hope sp614x can elaborate on this one, since it messes up my (new) texturepack quite considerably. Still hoping for betterglass (renderpass) support as well.

Made some better screens of what's going wrong (Created CTM for logs). Hope it helps:

Optifine rendering:

MCPatcher is rendering what it should look like:
    Last edited by 2nv2u: 12/17/2012 5:47:37 PM
    v1.6-1 & v1.5-10 06/22/13 MC: 1.6.1 & 1.5.2
    Could you update onptifine multicore to 1.4.5 I run at 15 fps on tiny without it
    I am making a Mario Bros TP. Using CTM, can I make the sides different from the front and back? If so, How is it done?
    Works really great even with the magic launcher is even better know I suck at moding but know that I have optifine and magic modloader I will be a hunger games champion lol
    I'm having a problem with textures on mobs and sometimes players when using the Ultra version. This only happens with the Ultra version, the other versions are fine. Basically, certain mobs will have their textures either missing on parts of their body, or swapped out with a bunch of random textures, which makes them look like a walking terrain.png. This occasionally happens to players, too. Another thing to mention, it's consistent amongst all mobs of a certain type. So as of right now, Skeletons are being affected every time I run the game. Last time I installed Optifine Ultra back in 1.3.2, it was Zombies and players.

I can get a picture of the problem if you need it. If you're wondering why I need to use Ultra, it's for the GLSL Shaders mod.
    Quote from TheTechRockstar

Could you update onptifine multicore to 1.4.5 I run at 15 fps on tiny without it
    I believe ultra has multi core in it, I'm not sure because I haven played minecraft since 1.3.1. My gaming computer is dead. :mellow:
    Quote from TheTechRockstar

Quote from FastCraft

I believe ultra has multi core in it, I'm not sure because I haven played minecraft since 1.3.1. My gaming computer is dead. :mellow:

Correct. Ultra is all the previous versions (Smooth, Multi-Core, AA) packaged into 1.
    Simply change the "Chunk Loading" option to Multi-Core.
    Last edited by Firedog118: 12/17/2012 5:56:59 PM
    Running OptiFine 1.4.5 HD U D8 on a 2010 Apple iMac w/ ATI 5750. For some reason the mod is causing me to get about 5fps, and single player worlds take a while to render. Checking things over, Minecraft is spiking to about 200% CPU in the background.

I tried using both the latest version of Java 7 as well as the recently-retired Java 6 that had been previously maintained by Apple until Oracle took over on updates. No luck. I tried rolling back as far as the D3 release of Optifine with no luck.

I tried this on a Macbook with an Nvidia card and it didn't exhibit the same behavior. I even copied the entire Minecraft folder to ensure I was using the same mod set. I've disabled everything but Optifine at this point. Toggling multicore / smooth / default chunk rendering doesn't make a difference.

EDIT:
    I realized Java was running in 32 bit mode due to some issue with the actual minecraft.app that was forcing it to use an i386 architecture for the JVM. Weirdly enough, downloading the app from Mojang again cleared this. I must have screwed this up at some time in the past. This seems to have fixed it.
    Last edited by RenegadeXR: 12/17/2012 7:16:36 PM
    Quote from SonicPhayze

I'm having a problem with textures on mobs and sometimes players when using the Ultra version. This only happens with the Ultra version, the other versions are fine. Basically, certain mobs will have their textures either missing on parts of their body, or swapped out with a bunch of random textures, which makes them look like a walking terrain.png. This occasionally happens to players, too. Another thing to mention, it's consistent amongst all mobs of a certain type. So as of right now, Skeletons are being affected every time I run the game. Last time I installed Optifine Ultra back in 1.3.2, it was Zombies and players.

Chunk Loading -> Default
    Quote from 2nv2u

Made some better screens of what's going wrong (Created CTM for logs). Hope it helps:
    Optifine rendering:
    MCPatcher is rendering what it should look like:

Connected Textures -> Fancy?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes