[CTM] Ragecraft Series (by heliceo)

Just wanted to leave my feedback on the map so far:
    • I love the introduction with the creepers and bedrock, etc. It really gets you ready for the map
    • Be more generous with the Nexus Base. It's not enticing enough to the player to use as a base when there are perfectly good other convenient places to put down a few chests and a crafting table and furnace. Perhaps add a few labeled chests with nothing in them. Even just that is enough to get the player's attention.
    • I've fully conquered the first area at this point. I really liked it. Your use of spawner slots is really cool, and I haven't seen it used in other maps, so I'm glad you're taking advantage of it.
    • I've been having a lot of problems with natural spawns, especially around the beginning of the area. I don't know if you did this, but if you haven't, I suggest putting a bunch of honeypots in the area, mainly because there are way too many natural spawns for a starting area.
    • Consider lowering the health on the Reptile Zombies. As somebody mentioned earlier, they currently are just annoying meat shields. I do like the Level 3 one though. It serves as a good boss fight, so keep it's health at what it is now.
    • Witches early on is not fun. Nobody really likes witches. I suggest if you want to keep them, lower their health. Especially since you have them in a vined area where they have plenty of time to drink a regen potion and screw up your day.
    • The sand trap in the upward dungeon was mean D: That being said, I loved it > :D Especially since it triggered after I had lit up the room, it totally took me by surprise.
    • The suspended walkways above the first cavern that connect to the wool and next area need a bit of smoothing. It looks really unnatural and sloppy right now.
    All that being said, I really am enjoying the map thus far. It's difficult, but not to the point where I feel like I should ragequit. I'll keep you posted with more feedback as I go :D

Quote from Nickmaz

I re-downloaded and its still screwed up. I'm reluctant to actually play further, because I don't want to encounter other parts of the map that are messed up. Hopefully in a new update this will be fixed, because from the screenies this map looks great

Are you perhaps not playing on 1.5? The blocks that have disappeared in your version are all quartz blocks, so it makes sense that they're not loading.

EDIT: PAGE GET :D
    Last edited by AppReviewQ: 5/5/2013 10:37:35 PM
    @psuperman100:
    I'm not sure if this map works in multiplayer. To be honest, I don't think the bedrock intro is going to work as intended. But apart from that, most of the map should be fine. By the way, you should probably try conquering the area (lighting it up, breaking spawners, ...) instead of just rushing. The first area is not that hard, it just takes a little time and patience ;)

@AppReviewQ: Thank you, that's pretty helpful! I did add "honeypots" in the first area (as well as in most other areas) in the beta 1.1. Which version of the map did you play?
    ahhh i was in 1.4.7. the fact that it needs to be played in 1.5 should be added to the op
    Come check out my Youtube channel! I play CTM maps and Feed the Beast at the moment. Hope to see you around! http://www.youtube.c...ser/RenatusNick
    Quote from heliceo

@AppReviewQ: Thank you, that's pretty helpful! I did add "honeypots" in the first area (as well as in most other areas) in the beta 1.1. Which version of the map did you play?

I'm playing version 1.0. I've only just peeked my head into the second area, so I'm planning on restarting on 1.1 and LPing it. Also, from what I've seen of the second area, I've got some feedback:
    • The landmine creepers are brilliant! I'm using a similar concept in a map I'm working on, so it was a pleasant surprise to discover you've used them too!
    • The skeletal turrets in the second part of the mine are ridiculously OP. I got the point, they're meant to shoot you once or twice, and then die. The only problem is that they can't be hit, and the area is too dangerous provided the lack of loot to recuperate from a fall in lava. Because they're constantly taking damage (Or have resistance, I can't tell), you can't knock them off, which means no matter what you will take damage from them when you see them.
    • The area itself is kind of unfair with the lava, as there is only one fire resistance potion provided, and scaling the bridges is almost impossible. I don't really know how to fix this, but I suggest adding some fire resistance potions to the minecart chests that cycle around, and also giving the player more enderpearls.
    • A way to nerf the turrets could be to give them feather falling X boots with a 0% drop rate, and giving them like 3 hearts. That way they won't die, but the player can kill them.
    I look forward to trying again, and I have great expectations for the map. It definitely could use some balance work, but it's good. Also, I'd love to know how you went about completing the second part of Merciless Mines as the map maker, because I have no idea what the right strategy is.
    Quote from AppReviewQ

I'm playing version 1.0. I've only just peeked my head into the second area, so I'm planning on restarting on 1.1 and LPing it. Also, from what I've seen of the second area, I've got some feedback:
    • The landmine creepers are brilliant! I'm using a similar concept in a map I'm working on, so it was a pleasant surprise to discover you've used them too!
    • The skeletal turrets in the second part of the mine are ridiculously OP. I got the point, they're meant to shoot you once or twice, and then die. The only problem is that they can't be hit, and the area is too dangerous provided the lack of loot to recuperate from a fall in lava. Because they're constantly taking damage (Or have resistance, I can't tell), you can't knock them off, which means no matter what you will take damage from them when you see them.
    • The area itself is kind of unfair with the lava, as there is only one fire resistance potion provided, and scaling the bridges is almost impossible. I don't really know how to fix this, but I suggest adding some fire resistance potions to the minecart chests that cycle around, and also giving the player more enderpearls.
    • A way to nerf the turrets could be to give them feather falling X boots with a 0% drop rate, and giving them like 3 hearts. That way they won't die, but the player can kill them.
    I look forward to trying again, and I have great expectations for the map. It definitely could use some balance work, but it's good. Also, I'd love to know how you went about completing the second part of Merciless Mines as the map maker, because I have no idea what the right strategy is.

Thanks for the feedback again!

I've already nerfed the skeleton spawners in the next beta version (which I'll upload soon) by reducing their spawning rate. They already have feather falling 100 boots, even in your version. And removing the D.o.T. is probably a bad idea, because there will be a billion skeletons after a minute or so :D
    I don't really want to give out too many fire resistance potions because they are just too powerful in some of the later areas of the map.

Here is how I beat this area (with 1 or 2 deaths I believe):
    I just took the blocks that are provided at the beginning (and in the center) of the track and used them to build walls so I wouldn't get knocked down into the lava while I was progressing on the track. When my health got too low, I quickly made a "cry box" and waited until there were no skeletons close to me. This is a good area to use the enchanted golden & wooden swords.
    Last edited by heliceo: 5/6/2013 11:11:51 AM
    Quote from heliceo

Thanks for the feedback again!

I've already nerfed the skeleton spawners in the next beta version (which I'll upload soon) by reducing their spawning rate. They already have feather falling 100 boots, even in your version. And removing the D.o.T. is probably a bad idea, because there will be a billion skeletons after a minute or so :D
    I don't really want to give out too many fire resistance potions because they are just too powerful in some of the later areas of the map.

Here is how I beat this area (with 1 or 2 deaths I believe):
    I just took the blocks that are provided at the beginning (and in the center) of the track and used them to build walls so I wouldn't get knocked down into the lava while I was progressing on the track. When my health got too low, I quickly made a "cry box" and waited until there were no skeletons close to me. This is a good area to use the enchanted golden & wooden swords.

That strategy seems fine, but not when you can't hit the skeletons D:! Seriously, I'm pretty sure its impossible. If you can't give out fire resists, I highly recommend giving out more enderpearls. Those things make the area so much less terrible. Granted, you most likely will die by fire, but you at least get a chance to save your stuff. I'll try again, but it seems ridiculously hard x.x. Also, you might want to give out some instant health potions. Perhaps the skeletons could have a chance to drop one?

EDIT: Also, couldn't you just edit the spawner cap so that you don't have billions of skeletons everywhere?
    Last edited by AppReviewQ: 5/6/2013 11:20:35 AM
    Quote from AppReviewQ

That strategy seems fine, but not when you can't hit the skeletons D:! Seriously, I'm pretty sure its impossible. If you can't give out fire resists, I highly recommend giving out more enderpearls. Those things make the area so much less terrible. Granted, you most likely will die by fire, but you at least get a chance to save your stuff. I'll try again, but it seems ridiculously hard x.x. Also, you might want to give out some instant health potions. Perhaps the skeletons could have a chance to drop one?

I don't know why you couldn't hit the skeletons :D
    I did have some problems hitting them, but it wasn't impossible. That's wierd.
    Enderpearls are extremely powerful too, so I will not provide any more of them. I like the idea of some extra health potions though, I think I will add 2 or 3 of them in the transition area between Rage of the Reptiles and Merciless Mines. I generally don't like mobs that drop very valuable loot (like potions) because it's too easy to abuse. Not a fan of mob farms in CTM maps ...

Anyway, you should probably wait for the beta version 1.2. I'll upload it later today.

"EDIT: Also, couldn't you just edit the spawner cap so that you don't have billions of skeletons everywhere?"
    ---> If more people have the same problem as you (not being able to hit them), I might do that.
    Last edited by heliceo: 5/6/2013 11:40:05 AM
    I just uploaded Beta 1.2.

Changes:
    - added some more glowstone to the first area in order to reduce natural spawns
    - changed some of the loot in the first two areas
    - nerfed the long-range spawners in Merciless Mines
    - put some chests in the premade base
    - added more traps (sorry :D )
    Quote from heliceo

I'm not sure if this map works in multiplayer. To be honest, I don't think the bedrock intro is going to work as intended. But apart from that, most of the map should be fine. By the way, you should probably try conquering the area (lighting it up, breaking spawners, ...) instead of just rushing. The first area is not that hard, it just takes a little time and patience ;)

Good to know, I'll download 1.2 and bring in reinforcements. :P
    This map looks dangerously gorgeous. I'll try it out as soon as I can.
    Come check out the Ultimate CTM Community thread to talk to me and other CTM mapmakers!
    Quote from Drago

This map looks dangerously gorgeous. I'll try it out as soon as I can.
    It's super awesome.
    So... Even though this map is too challenging for me to do a legitimate playthrough, that didn't stop me from flying around the map to admire the aesthetics.

..It took me about two hours. Most other CTMs that I decide to fly through take about 30 minutes.

All I'm going to say is that, when it comes to the aesthetics and the grand scale of the areas (as well as the creative layout), this is the most impressive CTM map I've ever seen. Ever. (Sorry, Pantheon!) I cannot even begin to imagine how much time went into this thing. Every area is incredibly detailed (The walls of the Gruesome Zoo... Me gusta), and the effort put into the map really shows. I found myself completely speechless every time I saw a new area.

And you say in the main post that the focus on the map isn't on aesthetics? So what would happen if you focused on aesthetics on another map? All I can say is that if you ever make an easier map (which I doubt because the series is called "Ragecraft"), I will definitely play it. Even if it's a super-uber-romhack challenging map, I'll still fly through it like I did with this one.

So do you want feedback? Here's some feedback: Aesthetic-wise, you don't need to change anything.

(That being said, though, I know nothing about how balanced the gameplay is because I didn't legitimately play anything past the first area. So... yeah. If the gameplay of your maps turns out to be as good as the aesthetics, your maps are going to become big. If the gameplay isn't good, you seriously need to fix it, or this beautiful gem of a CTM map will never reach its full glory.)
    Last edited by The_Sketch: 5/6/2013 7:34:29 PM

(Signature made by SniperGoth!)
    Everything that the Sketch said at the end.

I'll wait until the full release to play this. But if the aesthetics are as good as everyone says they are, then PHOOEY TO GAMEPLAY! (Not really, but I do love aesthetics <3)
    Thanks, guys!
    I hope I will get some feedback on the later areas soon, so I can start working on them. So far, most of the feedback is limited to the first 2 or 3 wools. I've already preventatively nerfed some of the later areas in beta 1.1 & 1.2 in the hope that people won't get stuck there. Otherwise, this beta phase is going to take forever :D

By the way: I think I will start working on my second map very soon. I have some ideas for an (hopefully) interesting and unconventional starting area. I'll keep you updated when I've made some major progress.
    So I started working on my second map today. I couldn't come up with a title yet, but here is a little sneak peek of what I have so far (the area is far from being finished):
    I think I'm going to deactivate fire spread in this map, just in case someone is crazy enough to set that area on fire :D
    Last edited by heliceo: 5/7/2013 3:00:24 PM
    I remembered one more issue I wanted to let you know about!

The spawn room being surrounded by lava is a bad idea. The player can respawn in the lava and get unfair deaths added to the counter.
    Quote from heliceo

So I started working on my second map today. I couldn't come up with a title yet, but here is a little sneak peek of what I have so far (the area is far from being finished):
    I think I'm going to deactivate fire spread in this map, just in case someone is crazy enough to set that area on fire :D

That looks soooooo goooood. How tall is that? It looks massive, considering that I can see water what looks like about a hundred blocks below you.

(Signature made by SniperGoth!)
    Quote from AppReviewQ

I remembered one more issue I wanted to let you know about!

The spawn room being surrounded by lava is a bad idea. The player can respawn in the lava and get unfair deaths added to the counter.

Yeah, true. I think I'll replace it with active redstone lamps. Thanks!

Quote from The Sketch

That looks soooooo goooood. How tall is that? It looks massive, considering that I can see water what looks like about a hundred blocks below you.

180 blocks from the ceiling to the water :D
    Me and my friend started a multiplayer LP of this map, he says looks great so far and the only thing I think you should change so far is the lava in the bedrock spawn room. Had to turn off the death counter because often when I died i'd respawn in lava and die again so the death counter wasn't correctly listing the amount of deaths.

Magedofe's POV

My POV
    Last edited by zombiepal: 5/7/2013 10:15:27 PM
    Looks awesome !

Last edited by Ayumukun: 5/7/2013 10:48:23 PM
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes