Gave up playing Minecraft due to this constant error, didn't matter if I connected to servers via Hamachi or just a straight IP connection.
The error in question was always this.
Internal exception: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
Now, after a friend tried to get me into Minecraft again to help him create his "mega cathedral", I once again experienced this error. After getting frustrated I decided to google around a bit to see if I could find a solution. After over an hour of browsing forums, server forums, clan / guild forums I was unable to find a solution to this problem so I came here (looked around on here, found one or two threads with the same problem, no solution in either of them).
What happens is I connect to his server via Hamachi, get on for maybe ten seconds to one minute, everyone will freeze and I will crash out and receive the error message. As I stated above this also happened on servers where Hamachi was not required to connect.
Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated, as I miss messing around in Minecraft multiplayer! :sad.gif:
You already tied to update/re-install java again? Also, allocate more RAM to minecraft..
Numerous times, have completely uninstalled and reinstalled on several occasions. Have uninstalled and reinstalled Minecraft on several occasions. As for allocating more RAM to Minecraft I have not done this, but if the game required more RAM would it not just take it instead of me having to assign it?
I recently ran into this problem this weekend on my home network.
Originally I was running the server off of my local machine and had no issues other than the lack of ram and lag caused by running it. In an attempt to fix that issue I migrated everything over to my main server.
Quad Core Pentium setup with HT, and 18gigs of ram. Very shortly after the migration, with three people on the server I started to get this error. Next I locked the server down and connected with only 1 person, same issue, so it wasn't client related (I always check as some people use client side mods).
After some digging on the internet I found the buffer fix that Notch had posted to the net. However, this only increased the time between dropped clients, 30 minutes versus 10.
Next, I ran into some more information that said it was specifically related to certain gigabit network cards.
Sunday morning I changed my gigabit card full duplex to 100mbit full duplex. The problem has not repeated since.
1) Right click My computer
3) Hardware Tab
4) Device manager
5) Expand network adapters
6) Right click your card, properties
7) Advanced Tab
8) Flow Control
9) Set to 100mbps/Full duplex (or 10 if you're already at 100)
10) Apply settings
11) Test server
My guess is something in the server code just doesn't quite play well with the network layer running at gigabit speeds with certain chipsets or drivers, but this is only a guess and assumption. My server hasn't had this issue as of doing this fix though.
Unfortunately, this is somewhat of a hack fix. It will affect your internal network system to system transfer speeds, unless you're lucky and running two gigabit nics like I am.