Why its our fault for what has happened to minecraft

Poll: Do you agree that we should stop demanding so much from mojang?

Do you agree that we should stop demanding so much from mojang? - Single Choice

• I dont even PLAY minecraft! 0.7%
  • I just play the game and avoid debates. 19.1%
  • No 24.5%
  • Yes 55.6%
    I just gotta get this off my chest, you guys. I posted this in another thread, but I believe its worthy of being its own topic...

Lately, we have seen a large amount of anger from the community for what has been added/changed in minecraft. This game that has gathered all of us together has become the center of many flame wars due to the adventure update. For those that don't remember, 1.7 was going to be the full adventure update, but you guys were too annoyed that it would be a long wait for a single update, no matter how major it would be. Had we not done so, we would have a "better" game at the moment. What I'm saying is this: WE ruined the adventure update by demanding so much out of these coders, making them work quicker and less efficiently. It is our fault that minecraft has "gone to ****", not Notch, nor Jens, nor Aron, nor Jon. I believe that those four can go and do whatever they want to their game without putting the community into consideration, as quoted by one of the employees of mojang:

Quote from Mojangsta in the minecraft documentary »
    We want to build games that we would want to play.

This means that they want to shape games to their likings, why stop them? What would their motivation be to make a game if they personally didn't like what was in it? I'll tell you: nothing.

As far as I'm concerned, the minecraft programmers should not listen to us until we learn to PULL OUR HEADS OUT OF OUR ASSES and learn that you shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you. By which I mean, if you **** with the programmers and tell them what to do all the time, they WILL decide that enough is enough and push back.

If we didn't bug them all the time, the adventure update would have been infinitely better. Yes, that means 1.7 would probably have been released in October or at minecon, but it would be more polished and filled with content, instead of three rushed updates. I would gladly wait even a YEAR for an update if that meant mojang would work at their own pace and/or produce something spectacular.

Yes, I would choose to wait a year without updates if that meant that Notch, Jens, Aron and Jon were able to go at a reasonable pace to even make an update WITHOUT spectacular features.

Let me explain the poll for you guys just so you don't accidentally make the wrong vote.

YES:
    You agree that by demanding so much from mojang, they won't be able to your expectations. You also agree that the demand for them to code quicker will result in them needing to rush and skip out on some important features, bug testing and feedback from the community before removing the features crashes everyone's saves.

NO: You agree that mojang is at fault for not making the game to your liking, and/or you wish they would finish the updates faster, regardless of what they need to skip out on.

EDIT: Wow, 60 votes for 'Yes'! That's heartwarming, knowing that I am not alone!
    Quote from ivyn

I just gotta get this off my chest, you guys. I posted this in another thread, but I believe its worthy of being its own topic...

Lately, we have seen a large amount of anger from the community for what has been added/changed in minecraft. This game that has gathered all of us together has become the center of many flame wars due to the adventure update. For those that don't remember, 1.7 was going to be the full adventure update, but you guys were too annoyed that it would be a long wait for a single update, no matter how major it would be. Had we not done so, we would have a "better" game at the moment. What I'm saying is this: WE ruined the adventure update by demanding so much out of these coders, making them work quicker and less efficiently. It is our fault that minecraft has "gone to ****", not Notch, nor Jens, nor Aron, nor Jon. I believe that those four can go and do whatever they want to their game without putting the community into consideration, as quoted by one of the employees of mojang:

This means that they want to shape games to their likings, why stop them? What would their motivation be to make a game if they personally didn't like what was in it? I'll tell you: nothing.

As far as I'm concerned, the minecraft programmers should not listen to us until we learn to PULL OUR HEADS OUT OF OUR ASSES and learn that you shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you. By which I mean, if you **** with the programmers and tell them what to do all the time, they WILL decide that enough is enough and push back.

If we didn't bug them all the time, the adventure update would have been infinitely better. Yes, that means 1.7 would probably have been released in October or at minecon, but it would be more polished and filled with content, instead of three rushed updates. I would gladly wait even a YEAR for an update if that meant mojang would work at their own pace and/or produce something spectacular.

Yes, I would choose to wait a year without updates if that meant that Notch, Jens, Aron and Jon were able to go at a reasonable pace to even make an update WITHOUT spectacular features.

I think you got it the wrong way. We (the customer) are still the hand that feeds Mojang.

Also if people put the devs under pressure as you claim; they are grown up people! Its not that they had to make Minecraft with trembling hands, because there was a lynching mob at their doorsteps. They messed up, because they decided to rewrite a lot of game mechanics 5 mintues before midnight, and then left us with a half broken game, because they moved on to other things.
    Quote from Mamrok

I think you got it the wrong way. We (the customer) are still the hand that feeds Mojang.

Also if people put the devs under pressure as you claim; they are grown up people! Its not that they had to make Minecraft with trembling hands, because there was a lynching mob at their doorsteps. They messed up, because they decided to rewrite a lot of game mechanics 5 mintues before midnight, and then left us with a half broken game, because they moved on to other things.
    Aye, Notch and his friends (not even calling them employees because they're not treated like they are) are a bunch of children. For Christ's sake, they don't even work on Fridays and they can't fix even the smallest of bugs before adding even more bugs. I agree the community hasn't helped, but the developers are definitely to blame.
    This looks suspiciously like another "complaining about complainers" topic. We don't need another one of these threads.
    That's rather sad, that the community can rip on the people who brought them together.
    Quote from sunperp

This looks suspiciously like another "complaining about complainers" topic. We don't need another one of these threads.

If we "affected them" so much we should have as much as we can get so we can turn this **** around in the right direction.

Quote from ivyn

That's rather sad, that the community can rip on the people who brought them together.

True. But this is the way it goes for everything. They're going to have to get used to it.
    No you're completely wrong, Notch is incompetent. We're complaining 'cause he's doing alot of stuff wrong and since we pay for the game we have the full right to do so.
    So you blame the guy who made the best game ever for ruining it because you won't shut up about what you want? If you want something, get a mod, don't pressure them. Given time, it would have been better. It happens to all games- when the community grows, people start to complain, because we all love it, and expect great things from it. Notch could never have made the game if he was as bad as you said he is. Let him do the work, you bought the game because he made it awesome. Not because you did. Be quiet and let Mojang do the work. Were here to enjoy it. Not to ruin it trying to rush a cake in the oven.

If Notch was so incompetent, Minecraft wouldn't have ever been a good game.
    It was his fault that he rushed it because Everyone knows that if you rush something you have a 50% chance that it succeeds and a 50% chance it fails (Well i do :biggrin.gif:) . so apparently he got the other half that failed. Notch shouldn't have cared if the demand was high And a good example is bukkit It took like 3 months (Assuming) To make it and they since they didn't rush it They came out with a decent server mod. And if notch didn't rush it like it was the end of the world, we would have a nice game.
    Quote from earzo7

So you blame the guy who made the best game ever for ruining it because you won't shut up about what you want? If you want something, get a mod, don't pressure them. Given time, it would have been better. It happens to all games- when the community grows, people start to complain, because we all love it, and expect great things from it. Notch could never have made the game if he was as bad as you said he is. Let him do the work, you bought the game because he made it awesome. Not because you did. Be quiet and let Mojang do the work. Were here to enjoy it. Not to ruin it trying to rush a cake in the oven.

If Notch was so incompetent, Minecraft wouldn't have ever been a good game.

Your fanboyism does you no credit; you speak of Notch as if he's the messiah of gaming. I'd say more but I'll leave my personal feelings about Notch out of this.

I may despise most of the complaints I've seen here but I'll be damned if I don't think they have a right as paying customers to want something more from what they purchased. If Notch wasn't aware of that he wouldn't have made the development process a public affair.
    If you buy something before knowing it's what you want your stupid, I bought Minecraft because I liked it.
    PSN: WSS_Prodigy
    Here's a basic rundown of what happened pre-1.0.0 usually.

1. Notch announces big new update.
    2. People speculate about what could be in the new update.
    3. Notch releases little spoilers and teasers of what's to come in the new update.
    4. People wait and speculate about what these things could be/do.
    5. Notch announces vague release date.
    IMPORTANT
    6. People rage about how Notch isn't doing this new update fast enough.
    7. Notch tries to rationalize with the community. Receives rage at slow update (even though it would've been a month or two by now.)
    8. Notch puts off some content for the next update due to rushing.
    9. Rushed update doesn't offer all the promised content. People rage.

Wash, rinse, repeat until 1.0.0.
    ಠ_ಠ
    I disapprove.
    It's not a case of "we" should stop. It's the haters, who should stop.
    Quote from Zergy6

Here's a basic rundown of what happened pre-1.0.0 usually.

1. Notch announces big new update.
    2. People speculate about what could be in the new update.
    3. Notch releases little spoilers and teasers of what's to come in the new update.
    4. People wait and speculate about what these things could be/do.
    5. Notch announces vague release date.
    IMPORTANT
    6. People rage about how Notch isn't doing this new update fast enough.
    7. Notch tries to rationalize with the community. Receives rage at slow update (even though it would've been a month or two by now.)
    8. Notch puts off some content for the next update due to rushing.
    9. Rushed update doesn't offer all the promised content. People rage.

Wash, rinse, repeat until 1.0.0.

It's his fault for trying to comply with them. Nothing would've happened if he paced himself. In fact, it would've brought us a better update.

Quote from sunperp

Now you're complaining about complainers who complain about complainers.
    Quote from ChaosGuardian

It's his fault for trying to comply with them. Nothing would've happened if he paced himself. In fact, it would've brought us a better update.

Well, if the community would stop being the retarded mass it is now, then Notch wouldn't have had to comply with them in the first place, allowing himself to pace along however fast he wants with the update.

Considering Minecraft is the source of Mojang's cash flow, Notch HAS to comply with them or he might lose sales of Minecraft.

Thus the community dictates Notch's update pace, and so since they kept rushing Notch, the updates were complete crap, with only like two or three new things added, instead of an awesome, fully complete update which could've added loads of awesome new things to the game. Hopefully Jeb doesn't listen to the masses, and goes at his own pace to get **** done.

If you say it's NOTCH's fault, then you are completely retarded. The community dictates what Notch has to do (to an extent.) If they suggested new, exciting things to the update, instead of raging about how 'slow' Notch was when working with it, then Minecraft could be much better than it is now. Notch kept getting rushed because of the community, because of assholes like you who couldn't wait for a decent update.

Hey, want to know why the Adventure Update was split into two parts instead of a single one? Because of YOU. You people raged about how long it was going to take, about how many months it would take to get finished. So, Mojang split the update into two parts to try to appease the retards like YOU, but that didn't work (it never does.) That's why we had the six crappy 1.9 pre-releases, to appease the massive amounts of retards with small, quick updates instead of an epic 1.8. with loads of new content all in one. Instead of that single epic update, we got a ****storm of half-finished products, loads of new bugs from those unfinished things, instead of less bugs and fully-developed new things for Minecraft.

TL;DR, I agree with the OP.
    ಠ_ಠ
    I disapprove.
    For anyone saying that they have a right to say what goes into the game because they bought it, it is worth noting that this quote is on the page when you pay for minecraft:
    Quote from minecraft.net »
    You pay for the game as is

Therefore, you pay for that update, and should be grateful that you even get another update.. To this day, I have yet to have been disappointed with Markus and Jens' work, as they could quit at any time, but they continue to provide us with more ways to have fun in this game. That is why I get sickened when anyone gets mad over an update. If you get mad over an update, remember that mojang could have stopped minecraft development with the update you bought the game at.

TL;DR: Read the post
    Quote from ivyn

For anyone saying that they have a right to say what goes into the game because they bought it, it is worth noting that this quote is on the page when you pay for minecraft:

Therefore, you pay for that update, and should be grateful that you even get another update.. To this day, I have yet to have been disappointed with Markus and Jens' work, as they could quit at any time, but they continue to provide us with more ways to have fun in this game. That is why I get sickened when anyone gets mad over an update. If you get mad over an update, remember that mojang could have stopped minecraft development with the update you bought the game at.

TL;DR: Read the post

The forums need more people like you. You, sir, are a smart person who knows what they're talking about. Have a diamond for not being a retard. :Diamond:
    ಠ_ಠ
    I disapprove.
    Remember this, just because you bought Minecraft, or any other game, doesn't mean you own it. The developer(s) of that game have full rights about what they want to add or remove from their game, and the end-user (you) can only barely persuade them because they will barely ever pay attention.

There is no such thing as a perfect developer and game. You can't make everyone happy, and even if you do, there will be trolls.
    Quote from Zergy6

The forums need more people like you. You, sir, are a smart person who knows what they're talking about. Have a diamond for not being a retard. :Diamond:

Thank you.

Quote from Zakristone

Remember this, just because you bought Minecraft, or any other game, doesn't mean you own it. The developer(s) of that game have full rights about what they want to add or remove from their game, and the end-user (you) can only barely persuade them because they will barely ever pay attention.

There is no such thing as a perfect developer and game. You can't make everyone happy, and even if you do, there will be trolls.

Exactly. Like with a story, you can read it, you can buy a copy of the book, you can even kidnap the author(not saying you should), but you do not own the story, and the writers will always decide what will happen next, not the reader.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes