It's time for the Weekly News! David and Toby cover a range of goodies from the last week, be sure to check it out!
It's also that time of year again - time for MINECON! We will be covering all the goodies of Minecon 2012 in the coming week, as well as real-time coverage of the convention, on the 24th and 25th! Every day this week, we will touch on an awesome aspect of the 'con before it goes live. Then, during MC12, we will be covering all the awesome panels, events, and shows from the convention, as it happens!
Be sure to check back here every day this week for all things Minecon. If you are going this year, we will see you there. If not, we will see you here!
In the mood for an arena combat game, but don't have a server to visit with the mods all set up and ready? Well, you're in luck! This 100% vanilla adventure map, Zombie Arena, features all kinds of cool stuff!
- Single and Multiplayer compatible
- If you die, press a button reset the map - no need to reload the map from a backed up save
- In-game shop, with a selection of equipment
- Map hazards
- Bonus drops will fall into the arena occasionally - free power-ups!
You can check out this awesome adventure map by clicking the image of the arena above, or the link below. Enjoy!
Map thread: Click here
Speaking of zombies, interested in getting the latest info on all things FPS (including the COD:BO2 Survival Mode? Check out FPS General, your source for all things FPS!
Not content to leave bugs unfixed, Mojang has already sent out the 1.4.5 Pre-Release! This isn't a required download for anyone still playing 1.4.4, it is meant to address issues with LAN servers. If you were having problems with your LAN games, definitely give this a try, and offer some feedback!
A number of SMP related issues were addressed here - crashing when entering certain servers, baby villagers only being farmers, and issues with spawning baby wolves, among others. Remember, if you aren't having trouble with 1.4.4, you can continue playing with it normally - however, if you want to update to the 1.4.5 PR client, don't fear! The 1.4.5 Pre-Release client should be able to connect to any 1.4.4 servers without any trouble at all.
Give it a try, see if it doesn't help with certain SMP issues! Whether it does or not, be sure to report your findings right here!
1.4.5 Client: Click here
1.4.5 Server: Click here
Pocket Edition Updated to 0.5.0!
Yes, the 0.5.0 update has gone live! All sorts of goodies came with this edition, including:
- Mushroom farming
- Zombie pigmen
- Nether Reactor
- Restore hearts when sleeping in bed
- Food now restores more health
- Tweaked the fog to make the game less foggy
- It is now easier to get out a bed
- The game could crash when loading a saved game
- Animals would sometimes never respawn in a map
- Using an item could sometimes attack animals/players when not facing them
- Spawning by a bed sometimes resulted in the player being several floors up from it
- Seeds would drop below grass block when using the hoe
- About 25 additional bug fixes
Dive right in, and enjoy the best version of Pocket Edition yet!
Curse Client Seeking Beta Testers
We're updating the Curse Client in the very near future to include a whole host of savegame management and backup tools, and would like your feedback! If you would like to try these features before they go live, and have your voice heard for what features YOU want, click the link below, give it a try, and tell us what you think! Your feedback will help shape features to be added, removed, and improved in the full release!
Beta Test Client: Click here
The 1.4.4 Update is finally out! Today's release is the same client from the pre-release last week, but now it's a full, official release. Just in case you haven't had a chance to see the changelogs, they include - among other things:
- Server IPs can now be hidden individually when editing or adding a server
- Server version is now displayed left of the connection bars
- Server ping tooltip now shows if the server and client have mismatching protocol versions
- Mismatching servers can't be joined
- Renamed Chat Settings to Multiplayer Settings
- Added an option for cape-owners to hide their capes in-game
- Added Fullscreen and VSync toggles
- Though this is not in the settings menu, you may go into the options.txt in %appdata% and toggle advancedToolTips. This shows you the item IDs of everything and the durability of tools and armor.
- The piechart is now shown when using shift+F3 instead of vice versa
- Added the cardinal direction and the degree value to the f value indicating the direction the player is facing
- Now shows which chunk and where in that chunk the player is in on X and Z values
- Pressing P while holding F3 will toggle the auto-pause when the Minecraft window loses focus
- Pressing H while holding F3 will toggle detailed item descriptions, which additionally show item id, damage value, color code, tool/armor/weapon damage and map zoom level and scale on the tooltip
- Updated language files
- Spawn protection now is disabled if there's nothing in ops.txt
- Spawn protection radius can now be changed in the server.properties file
- Improved Creative inventory
- Items can now be cloned by using Pick Block on them - An item stack with the highest amount of items possible in it will be created
- Items can now be shift-clicked around on the survival inventory screen
- Improved General inventory
- Pressing the 1-9 hotkeys while hovering over an item will exchange that item with the one from the corresponding hotbar slot
- Status effects now cause the inventory window to be off-center regardless of screen aspect ratio
- A whole lot more changes
To update, simply start up your Minecraft PC game, and press "Yes" when it asks you to update the game. Enjoy!
This week, Lindsay covers Mojang's latest milestone in sales, Notch's mysterious code, and the countdown to Minecon 2012 - check it out!
That's right, the PC version of Minecraft has surpassed 8 million sales! In addition to blowing the lid off of XBLA sales records with well over 4 million sales, and continuing to set incredible landmarks in the handheld market with over 2 million sold, Minecraft continues to set landmarks like never before. In just the last 24 hours, over 10,000 copies of the game have sold, just on the PC!
Minecraft as a game continues to have a phenomenal level of success, with humble beginnings in the hands of Mojang founding member Markus "Notch" Persson, and growing over a period of years into one of the most successful indie game titles in gaming history. In addition, the recent changes to Minecraft in 1.4.4 - and future changes planned the game, including Mod API support, more adventure map options, and all sorts of customization options - Mojang continues to push the game to new heights, even as they get involved in the community, with everything from direct-feedback bug fixing to real-life rewnewal projects.
Congratulations to Mojang for the amazing sales milestone, and to everyone out there in the Minecraft community for making it what it is today! Feel free to read Mojang's own words on the matter, and have a great Monday!
This week, David and Toby cover the rather staggering list of awesomeness happening over the last week - check it out!
After a quick round of bugfixes, the 1.4.4 Pre-Release is now available! Try out the update before it goes live, and see what you think. Also, if you happen across any bugs, don't forget to report any bugs on the official Minecraft Bug Tracker, to help speed things along!
So, what's new in the pre-release?
- Another 20 or so issues fixed
- Fixed the “unable to swim upwards” bug (prevented a 1.4.3 official release)
- Fixed the “placed torches jump between walls” bug (also prevented a 1.4.3 release)
You can try out the 1.4.4 Pre-Release now, click the links below to get your PR client and server files now!
Client: Click here
Server: Click here
It's Survey Time!
You can play Minecraft on a heap of different platforms: PC, Mac, iOS, Android, and Xbox 360. Phew. But how do you
play Minecraft? And, more importantly, what do you think Notch hides under his hat?
Mojang wants your feedback, and now have a survey up! Suggest a new mob, pick your favorite food, and tell Mojang all about how you play Minecraft!
Minecraft Survey: Click here
This week, Lindsay covers the 1.4.4 Pre-Release (coming soon), recent changes to Pocket Edition, and a host of other goodies - check it out!